Port Moon - Scottish Region BR Blue, 80's DCC in OO

matt1471

Port Moon is my 8ftx8ft DCC in OO, which is loosely based on the Scottish Region, to incorporate the stock and locomotives around the 80's BR Blue era.

Many developments have happened over it's 2 year progress so far, and things now are taking shape, with only a few running issues (bad track) still needing addressing.

Anyway, the latest update was a much need crossover at the end of the station.

However, after today's burst of sunshine I ventured into the garage and found it be pleasantly warm. The cold winter and dampness of the garage has taken it's toll as some of the lichen and un-glued ballast which has started to grow mould as well as the underneath of the basebaords (DON'T USE MDF IN A GARAGE). Luckily, its not serious and nothing a clean and some painting won't cure in preparation for next winter! 

I've been thinking about how I'm going to operate the layout as a timetable of sorts is going to have to required to get the best operation and I've struggled to maximise the loops in the station and allow trains from Port Moon West to crossover into the two way loop in Port Moon South Street, thus allowing two loco's to run and pass on this line.

This was how things were at 1700hours after the track removal gang completed their day's work

IMAG0556.jpg

Labourers have dug the old ballast and prepared the foundations

IMAG0557.jpg

And 1hour later

IMAG0558.jpg

Looks in-keeping and after testing runs fine, so a good job well done!

My class 37 with rake of 3 mk1's is soon to receive an Ethel and now fits in the loop platform (which is longer) and the Class 25 mixed freight runs though the main platform.

Hopefully the weather will maintain this week and I can try and get the remaining ballast relaid.

Here's a few other pics to get a feel of how the layout looks.

Class 50 and Class 20 tick over whilst waiting for their freight loads to be completed
IMAG0355.jpg

Class 25 with a mixed freight awaits a signal change whilst passing through the industrial factories
IMAG0356.jpg

Seems quite on Farmers Hill Corner. The PW team have been out however replacing the outer loop due to running problems.
IMAG0353-1.jpg

General shots to show progress

The Station, depot and engineers Yards
IMAG0354.jpg

The 'Upper' board. Factories and various depots.
IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

Busy looking layout !

It is a bit.  It started life as a 6x4 Hornby trackmat, and has developed from that, and in that time I have since viewed, seen and visited numerous layouts which have really opened my eyes to different styles, themes and ways of building and operating a layout, so Port Moon isn't really perfect, but more something for a bit of fun and to host stock.

I've decided to sell a few wagons and try and free up some space, but I don't think it'll distract from how busy things actually are! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived