Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Inspiring modelling...especially loving the graffiti and 'The Mystery Machine' :jester:

Kal...for your ViTrains models, I find the coupling arrangement too stiff/springy, so you could try here; http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html

I've used them before, and the aren't too expensive either... ( you get a standard sized NEM pocket too, no more awkward filing to suit ViTrains silly ones... :nono:)

Ta

Jack.

I need to order decal paper, then design and make up the lettering, it will then go out on the layout.....

med_gallery_17883_3114_108126.jpgrmweb658van1

This basically sets the colours for placement of the decals, once the decals are on I would repaint it.

• Like 1

DCC

In order to be able to detect not only the loco but individual wagons, in the detection sections of my layout, I need them to draw a small amount of current. This will mean that if a wagon is detached or the train extends over more than one section, that section will be shown as occupied and train controller will not allow another train to enter.

To draw the current I will use a ultra small resistor with a value of 10K ohms.  Each little square is a resistor

med_gallery_17883_3125_222477.jpg

I will superglue one of these between the axel and the wheel, make sure you check back to backs before glueing as you do not want to break the connection later.

I will use this liquid silver pen to create a connection from the resistor to the wheel where I glued it and from the resistor to the axel.

I also need to make a connection from the axel to the other wheel again with this conductive paint.

med_gallery_17883_3125_823059.jpg

Here you may just be able to see the silver conductive paint by the wheels and just pick out the small black square that is the resistor, it should be very difficult to see once the wagon is the right way up

med_gallery_17883_3125_410903.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3119_167835.jpgrmweb650wagon47

Showing the inside still with the citadel shade

inside done and needs to dry before adding anything else

med_gallery_17883_3119_223570.jpgrmweb651wagon48

I've added a tough of Hmbrol enamel met 55 (bronze) to the brown to make it a little shiny 

side by side for comparison

med_gallery_17883_3119_616944.jpgrmweb652wagon49

• Like 6

To the floor of the wagon I add some Humbrol gloss oil stain, this will give it the 'water / rain' effect motley in the corners and on the sides

I also put some black Tamiya XF-1 into the gloss while fresh and spread it around for wet coal dust.

And a touch more of the citadel shade, although I doubt much of this will be seen, 

med_gallery_17883_3119_458764.jpgrmweb659wagon50

however I expect to achieve the same as the other wagon..At some point (when I remember actually) I will add some real coal crushed down and a little coal dust.

Nothing models coal better than....coal

med_gallery_17883_3119_132182.jpgrmweb660wagon51

the red one still needs to be bought in line

med_gallery_17883_3119_361085.jpgrmweb661wagon52

Have now added some coal and some coal dust to the not dried gloss and shook it about

med_gallery_17883_3119_601932.jpgrmweb662wagon53

When dry some more coal will be added

• Like 3

Actualy the wagon being in motion part had not occurred to me.  :sungum:

You wouldn't really have a wagon with this amount of coal, either a full load or empty.

Therefore a little at the bottom with some PVA. or a piece of foam push in perhaps with coal PVAd on as I did with the steam engine...hang on I'll go look for the  pictures.....

page 4, post 88 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-pimp-your-ride-kadees-and-repaints/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1069448

• Like 1

Out of interest, these two running boards have come up different, either I have forgotten how I did the original or I didn't have quite the same mix, I would have prefered they were the same but photographed together, and without me pointing it out I doubt it would be noticeable. Anyways rust does age at different rates depending on weather,under cover,etc etc. who is to say these two trucks had exactly the same history.I actually like the Jaz graffiti one with the redder board. Ho hey. and to prove the point

med_gallery_17883_3119_516935.jpgrmweb663wagon54

Final step, the weathering powder. Humbrol smoke added with a cotton bud, and carefully put on completely dry paint, I say completely dry, because other wise the powered reacts and you can et a very different finish. I did the left and right panels and left the middle undone

med_gallery_17883_3119_351994.jpgrmweb664wagon55

the middle panel coloured in

med_gallery_17883_3119_381386.jpgrmweb665wagon56

side by side

med_gallery_17883_3119_473969.jpgrmweb666wagon57

The only question is will I attack the graffiti. But as for the weathering....I'm done.....c'est fini.

I will put it on the layout and photograph it there.

N.B. I would suggest if painting a rake. You paint all of them step by step, i.e. all step 1, then all step 2, if you want more similarity between the finish.

• Like 5

Kal, Jaz

After spending the last hour catching up with the last 2 days worth of postings I have to say that I have learnt a lot of new weathering techniques and also some of the more technical aspects that I hadn't considered. :sungum:  :locomotive:  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Thanks

Duncan

Gosh, can't believe I haven't been in since before the weekend!  Godson's birthday party and five hours in the office yesterday can do that.

Most impressed by the weathering, especially the graffiti.  At the moment I'm relying on bits cut from other Scalescenes kits to make my modern buildings look  as if yoof have been around!

• Like 1

Blimey  .........................

..................................................................................  is Kal into Selfies now    ...........................................................         :O   ....................    :no:   .......................   :jester:   .....................   :sungum:

Edit = apologies, possibly still suffering from Romeo & Juliett

Edited by jcredfer

A change is as good as a rest.......

I braved the loft,got out the paints, and started to colour some PIR. cut the road to match (jiggled the adjacent pieces to hopefully line them up)

The heights had been wrong rather than cut the top, I put some cork tile underneath, so a lot less cutting (which if there are mistakes give me some leeway)

black pale beige and terracotta mixed.

med_gallery_17883_3001_392770.jpgrmweb682heartbeat1

the same colours in a different ratio to darken the track area, and the scenic area behind.

med_gallery_17883_3001_90033.jpgrmweb683heartbeat2

• Like 3

I agree, it was a brilliant idea of yours. And then Kal choosing to have a go at making platforms sides from it, and this is where we are. An open mind leads to all possibilities....eventually.

Edited by Jaz

Talking of which more.....

Some of the 'terrain' may need correcting, but I have lots of the 3 colour paints i am using and I am sick of seeing it without colour.

You can see I go over the edges so the base colour is unlike to show through.

med_gallery_17883_3001_97015.jpgrmweb684heartbeat3

I took away the bridge to avoid damaging it whilst painting, then shaved the PIR but realise when I put it back....that I should have cut both pieces at the same time.....DOH!

med_gallery_17883_3001_234892.jpgrmweb685heartbeat4

luckily this can cope

med_gallery_17883_3001_397373.jpgrmweb686heartbeat5

and the mistake is quickly sorted

med_gallery_17883_3001_53522.jpgrmweb687heartbeat6

• Like 5