Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

credible J:

I've flown planes, etc, and racing buggies over the clarts is very violent, and I've not had issues. But, your final point about simplicity, Kal is KISS.

At the moment I'm using mechanical rods and levers in my yard. Shunting demands physicality in my book.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

Hi

So many factors. I always try and minimise the lengths by having the receiver central where possible. In a heli that is not so easy and so the tail boom will always be remote. but apart from interference as you described, there is a less RFI to cause issues in the air as opposed to in a house...potentially at least.

you can never calculate what will and will not happen, because of different cables, connectors wave form generators etc etc

so I just plan around possible issues and try to avoid them or if I must do it, I make a record of where I strayed so that I can track down these as first points of call when troubleshooting.

People may never have the problem, but forewarned is forearmed, I think.  :yes:

Edited by Kal

Wagons roll........

The 3 wagons in present state, 

The red one to the left being recoloured, the middle one awaiting a postal delivery so I can finish it, and the third one my FIRST air brush project

med_gallery_17883_3119_318269.jpgrmweb625wgon28

To run these together in a rake, certain characteristics need s to match. The wood and metal shell would for instance deteriorate in a similar way.

med_gallery_17883_3119_720872.jpgrmweb626wagon29

As such I have added some of the grey / weathered wood on the inside of the red wagon. And as I know badly weathered it goes grey, but first it goes the wood under the paint,

so I have some red paint still intact, some exposed wood not too weathered, then the fray really weathers - because the mineral (coal) it carried would have knocked paint of exposed wood faster and there fore allowed heavy weathering PLUS the are would be caked in mineral dust (coal). Also the lower frames had been very different colours, and as the middle one is the better looking model IMO I will match the red one it it, rather than vice versa.

• Like 4

#3171 icon_share.pngKal..................................I was going to rework kalborough to something else...............Ashford maybe? Or Tonbridge or tun wells?

Ahem....!!! :O .............That's as far as you go matey, stay west..........No further east......... :no:  :nono:

Edited by David Todd

LOL, you will be pleased to know my brother who lives in Kent asked us to visit, and said if when you go into the other loft, you need something to model, Dover Priory is wonderful we could do a day trip.........

And while I am matching 2 I might as well match 3, because then I know which paints to use, and they are from the same pot  (sometimes even batches of colour can be iffy as far as a match goes)

So wagon 3 on the right

med_gallery_17883_3119_342817.jpgrmweb627wagon30

first match the grey...I mean weathered wood  :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3119_178983.jpgrmweb630wagon32

and the other side, I plan to keep the graffiti, it is likely the paint will end up being thicker on the 'wood' than where the graffiti is I would address that by recolouring the graffiti and therefore making it thicker and in proportion.

med_gallery_17883_3119_450695.jpgrmweb629wagon31

• Like 4

LOL, you will be pleased to know my brother who lives in Kent asked us to visit, and said if when you go into the other loft, you need something to model, Dover Priory is wonderful we could do a day trip.........

So, when you decide to do your .........."Day Trip", I wil point you in the direction of the Ferry Port........to purchase a pleasant day return sea  crossing...... :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

Awwwwwww, I was hoping to dropping in for high tea especially cakes, cream scones, cream cakes, chocolate cakes.....cucumber sandwiches  :sungum:

Even a trip to the local breakfast establishment  :sungum: Seriously though it would be nice to have an informed tour guide....mind you.....one that does not point you over the edge of a cliff for a close up view of the white cliffs of Dover, on the pretext of 'here's a good way to get a close up for research purposes "and then puts the boot in. ....... :sarcastichand:

Edited by Jaz

the basic 'brown' or rust colour.

med_gallery_17883_3119_563362.jpgrmweb631wagon33

You'll notice there is a large dribble (I missed it unit lI saw it on the photograph!!!) These can be T cut (which I will initially attempt to avoid) or coloured over (my preferred choice, basically because I am lazy)

side by side for comparison

med_gallery_17883_3119_149420.jpgrmweb632wagon34

• Like 5

Kadee and Vi trains:

So after the work yesterday, I found that on use the coupling would loosen, move out of position or even fall out  :O

Hmm, so I tried gluing the dovetail of the original coupler to the kadee but it just wouldn't stick.

Next I cut off the ends of the two and married them up but still glue couldn't hold them, so, I decide to laminate the join top and bottom as you can se below once checked.

med_gallery_17883_3123_363649.jpg

it was the painted to blend in

med_gallery_17883_3123_30077.jpg

The idea is to get the colouring patchy, and if you use a small applicator patchy does not look like half painted....

both the wagon's wood and metal work are much lighter at the moment

Citadel shade on the 'rust' / brown

med_gallery_17883_3119_58792.jpgrmweb638wagon35

it is best to let each shade dry, other wise you have one slow drying coats instead of several coats

med_gallery_17883_3119_58792.jpgrmweb639wagon36

an end half painted so easier to see

med_gallery_17883_3119_459786.jpgrmweb640wagon37

the first layer looks ok but a second layer has more depth

med_gallery_17883_3119_67781.jpgrmweb641wagon38

• Like 2

Inspiring modelling...especially loving the graffiti and 'The Mystery Machine' :jester:

Kal...for your ViTrains models, I find the coupling arrangement too stiff/springy, so you could try here; http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html

I've used them before, and the aren't too expensive either... ( you get a standard sized NEM pocket too, no more awkward filing to suit ViTrains silly ones... :nono:)

Ta

Jack.

Edited by Jack374

You might notice that although the 'rusted' area is coming up to colour, the grey 'weathered wood' now looks quite pale next to the left wagon

This is because although I have weathered the wood I have not dirtied it....yet

med_gallery_17883_3119_460139.jpgrmweb642wagon39

I have started then remembered I was using a paint brush from another job I was juggling and quickly change to the micro brush!!!!)

I am  now onto extra layers on the brown 'rust' this is still wet here showing you just where i have coloured

as you can see I do not cover it all

med_gallery_17883_3119_406818.jpgrmweb643wagon40

stepped back for further clarity

med_gallery_17883_3119_361423.jpgrmweb644wagon41

• Like 3

Inspiring modelling...especially loving the graffiti and 'The Mystery Machine' :jester:

Kal...for your ViTrains models, I find the coupling arrangement too stiff/springy, so you could try here; http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html

I've used them before, and the aren't too expensive either... ( you get a standard sized NEM pocket too, no more awkward filing to suit ViTrains silly ones... :nono:)

Ta

Jack.

Thanks Jack,

very interesting stuff... I had written Keen off, as I had assumed wrongly it was all about the auto uncoupler for dcc, which to me was still a tension lock.

I had not realised they had done so much other stuff and I think catching them at a show is now a must.

I could not see how it would work with VI trains though, not a lot of space because Vitrains chose to use NEM363 instead of the NEM 362 that everyone else in the UK uses. However worth a conversation to see what they can suggest.

It has put me off buying Vitrains a little, although I have a few to still deal with.

Some of the coach options look pretty interesting and also the corridors, but I could not work out how the nem coupler fitted into that rectangular slot they have.

Research Required

Edited by Kal

In order to dirty the weathered grey wood I use the same product

med_gallery_17883_3119_294393.jpgrmweb645wagon42

stepped back for comparison to the 'original'

med_gallery_17883_3119_350365.jpgrmweb646wagon43

and all three panels seemly treated

med_gallery_17883_3119_634182.jpgrmweb647wagon44

meantime I sow and change and add more shade on the rusted metal as well, just being careful where I put my fingers. Luckily this stuff dries quite fast.

• Like 3

I just answered a question on another thread, and thought it might be useful to pop the here as well.............

Ah well the new loft is 43'9" x 11'6" give or take. And we have both side with 4'3" intending to be used.

As you walk in on the left e have a small passage to the old loft (which is bigger) and the back is only 1ft deep there, so an aqueduct is in that area 

5ft for scenic and another 8ft are for Sheffield Park

8ft for our work desk area, although we will  lift a lift out scenic area will be there too

Goathland station is only 8Ft long, and Heartbeat another 8 ft, hogshead and Hogwarts is in 5ft.

A 3ft odd cross over from one side to the other covers for RAF base and in front Portlynn Cove,They rest on the long tables.

Portlynn town is 8ft

Kalborough inc 5ft of mostly track and 8ft of station, 3ft of Kalboro Union Station on the top layer

8ft of Kalboro East on the low track

Then 6ft of a yet to be decided area, it has been outlined (i.e. resin beens plonked on it for al sorts inc Goathlnad, sheffield and Kalboro, it tends to be our testing ground. Only two tracks run on top and a riffle years underneath holds 9 small area holding maybe a loco and 3 coaches each

We plan so much, we have loads to do here, then the old loft, then I'm sure the garage....we stole the dining room for a nice warm modelling room, the airbrush is in the garage because of the fumes so will only get used in fair weather.....

Basically because we are a husband and wife team, he gets away with blue murder.....and is usually complaining that I have hogged all the space....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Jaz what with and also Polly on Camel Quay the weathering is being taken over by the fairer sex (yes that was a creep), and you have both done such good jobs.

Polly like your good self is a self confessed scenic ahollic and has done some wonderful work.

I think for my last Great Project I will get you both down (with Hubbys consent of course) to do all my scenics and weathering, I can sit back, put the pics on here and TAKE ALL THE CREDIT, hahhaa

Great bit of work JAZ. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

Well you do exhibitions, which are of course portable, which means you might end up in our neck of the woods, Bring some scenic products with you and I can quickly sprinkle some foam turf on :jester: , although if you leave a small space for a waterfall on the edge which is no wider than 3' I can do a 2D version quite quickly and you just need to fit it in.

Such strips are easily made in say a baking tin or on tin foil. (no cooking involved) You just spread the back up and down, then afterwards tip it up slightly and add the 'water' and let it dry as it dribbles down. I will probably include this one when I do a water how to...because it is so easy, and can give lovely results. You then just hang them and put rocks, and bushes around the edges. A slot of 2"x3" by say 6-9" would be easy to explain. In Fact I will work on that as a firm idea.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but the more I look at this graffiti the less it looks like graffiti. Anyway I do this side as well.med_gallery_17883_3119_341908.jpgrmweb648wagon45

The next 'big' step is the inside. So far there is just a new layer of the weathered wood

med_gallery_17883_3119_659996.jpgrmweb649wagon46