Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

Kal.

As regards Peco rail.

To my mind if the gauge is 16.5 HO the sleeper spacing should be closer otherwise it won't look right. Most of us mere mortals run RTR locos & stock straight from the box so have to settle for HO trackwork.

The only thing that's wrong with code 100 is that it looks wrong in HO scale so code 75 looks much better and gives the HO trackwork a scale longer look.

The best improvement is to cut off all those ugly bits around the switches which means using different motors to the Peco ones but hey. Who uses them!

Code 75 on left,                                                                            ]code 100 on right

post-8964-0-44636800-1392930898_thumb.jpg

Yes that's Atlas Code 100 and Peco double slip.

I used the code 75 slip as the code 100 version is naff!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

Oh dear track.  My comment is, and I will put it on this thread rather than Al's so no one thinks I am having a go at anyone, that I was surprised that the Cambriam, before it was the Cambrian laid flat bottom track in the 1860s.  Not exclusively, and I need to check again about the coast lines and have a good look at the track.  As I did not notice telegraph poles until I specifically looked for them I cannot say definately that it was not laid in PECO code 100, although to be honest, it may have been to heavy for them as everything was on a shoe string.

With your permission Kal,

Shaun,

Why do you say the PECO code 100 slip is rubbish?  I assume you mean the double slip.  I will be using code 100 as I need to get things running once my layout is built and I have quite a lot of old stock and I do not want to re-wheel most things I have.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most locos stall on the example I have or worse derail! It might be the older version as it has pressed nickel switch blades that look very Double-O!

I'm so happy with the Code 75 one , that the decision has been made to switch. Having said that there's all those Shinohara turnouts I brought but at 70 pence each I'm sure they'll fit in in the hidden sidings!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most locos stall on the example I have or worse derail! It might be the older version as it has pressed nickel switch blades that look very Double-O!

I'm so happy with the Code 75 one , that the decision has been made to switch. Having said that there's all those Shinohara turnouts I brought but at 70 pence each I'm sure they'll fit in in the hidden sidings!

Shaun,

Thanks.  Umm, that does not sound hopeful as one code 75 slip means the same as all the track at code 75.

'THINKS!'

Kal,

You have double slips do you not?  Are they code 100 or 75?

dt

You are going to have to move your thread here, you get more comments and likes  :sungum:

And Sasquatch is right it's looking really good, even though the picture portrays the old portal not your new one.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Shaun,

Thanks.  Umm, that does not sound hopeful as one code 75 slip means the same as all the track at code 75.

'THINKS!'

Kal,

Have just checked the Peco site for double slips. The SL90 looks finer than the one I have.

Also noticed that there wasn't an SLE-90. No electrofrog in code 100, that must have been the reason I opted for the code75 SLE-190.

Hate dead frogs!!!!!! 

Shaun,

'THINKS!'

Kal,

Hi

My slips are 75 but I do have 100 long points and track, but it us not east to spot. I changed to 75 because I prefer the 3 way points , but I never removed the 100 stuff.

Have just checked the Peco site for double slips. The SL90 looks finer than the one I have.

Also noticed that there wasn't an SLE-90. No electrofrog in code 100, that must have been the reason I opted for the code75 SLE-190.

Hate dead frogs!!!!!!

For me that is more important than 100, 75 sleeper spacing etc, I too say avoid insulfrog at all cost, they are so frustrating

• RMweb Gold

Kal and Shaun,

Thanks.  Dead frogs would be easier to wire I suppose.  Still, I may be lumbered with it.  I am not sure when Hornby changed things over to all run on code 75, and I am not going to put up a thread in the Hornby section.  I suppose I ought to buy a length of code 75 and see how my stock runs on it, although are the check rail gaps too different?  That is, if the stock ran on straight track would they fail to negotiate code 75 turnouts?

I am sorry if this has been discussed in the talk of track but to be honest I have just skimmed the posts as there are a lot more important things in life to spill (metaphorical) blood over.

Thanks

Anyways, for flat bottom track I believe both 75 and 100 are wrong, and code 82 would be precise, but when all said and done, so what.

Dt's main track is 100 and to me that looks cool,

Same goes for Sasquatch 100 to 75

So I think it is all just track fascism, use what you are happy with

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

To be honest, I do not care either.  I just do not want to lay code 75 and find my 20 year old stock, which I am sure will work, does not run over it.  On the other hand, even though I started life with dead frogs I do not want them to cause me issues now.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

Speaking of emoticons...how do you give the 3 that show up on your ratings (useful, creative and dislike) as sometimes these would be useful? :dontknow:

I heard.....it was gossip u understand....that Andy Y pulled them after complaints......

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

Thanks.

I am starting out as DC, with the thought as I mentioned on ypour thread a while ago of moving to DCC, mainly so my grand children could use their computers to control it, but, hey ho, it is not a big deal.  It will make wiring it a lot easier.

• RMweb Premium

There's nothing wrong with good old Peco code 100! It's a good reliable system for a start. There is a great range of turnouts and accessories and when painted and ballasted nicely can look  really old fashioned which creates the all-of-a-piece scene.

I for one certainly would never find the time to build my own track.

Other things are more important to me than scale trackwork. Super elevation is one, many a good layout picture can be let down because the trains are not leaning!

regards Shaun 

• Like 2

Kal.

As regards Peco rail.

To my mind if the gauge is 16.5 HO the sleeper spacing should be closer otherwise it won't look right. Most of us mere mortals run RTR locos & stock straight from the box so have to settle for HO trackwork.

The only thing that's wrong with code 100 is that it looks wrong in HO scale so code 75 looks much better and gives the HO trackwork a scale longer look.

The best improvement is to cut off all those ugly bits around the switcheswhich means using different motors to the Peco ones but hey.  Who uses them!

I used the code 75 slip as the code 100 version is naff!

I do,............have got 49 Dcc Cobalts, all working.......... :sungum:

• Like 3

Hate dead frogs!!!!!! 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=images+of+dead+frogs&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB530GB530&oq=images+of+dead+frogs&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.10865j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8