Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I was wondering if it was like Wallah as soon as I posted.  That's the funny thing about transliterating from other languages!

I was lucky enough to find a copy of this book in a militaria shop in Nottingham when still serving.  It's hilarious!

cool I will check it out.

:O   ..........................................................................................................................................   :swoon:

Edit - Assaulted   ..................................................................................................   the Quarter-Master General?? 

Edited by jcredfer

I have done the telephone, painting it a dirty yellow and just drawing the T in.

med_gallery_17883_3113_505186.jpgrmweb870knightwingjaz12

I will add up other details when I get back. If anyone thinks this is grossly wrong please say as I want it to be as good as I can get it.

• Like 4

The dirty brown pipe, is because you just don't get enough black to do both sets properly, it is a little thicker and I had dirtied it down 

The machinery in front has another black pipe on it, it was a 'spare' from Lnagley Models in their odds and ends when at a fair.

med_gallery_17883_3113_221342.jpgrmweb871knightwing13

• Like 1

Another view of the brown cope cover that has been darkened, in order to shape it I put a thin piece of copper in it.

med_gallery_17883_3113_191739.jpgrmweb874knightwing16

I painted the small clock face white, then using a black pen I added quarts then 12ths, and using a green pen added a hand

med_gallery_17883_3113_330442.jpgrmweb875knightwingjaz17

Its a bit white and too clean at the moment, I'll add a little dirt later. I also started painting the sides of the model as it will stand on the flat. The track edges would I assume have been white, I have gadded some wash for dirt. But may add some powered weathering as well, once I have everything else added, and compare back to the reference picture.

• Like 3

med_gallery_17883_3113_478589.jpgrmweb8767knightwingjaz19

the steel canopy, no clever LEDs just painted the fluorescent. The edging I painted a concrete colour, I believe I remember concrete bases, then painted the fluorescent white letting a little fray show through then added some dirty yellow. Fluroescents get filthy in kitchens (I know I had to clean mine before we replaced them) so I assume theses suffer as well. I painted the bottom of the canopy a oily steel then dampened the shine by added silver eye makeup (it works really) then added some dirty brown to the edges and around the fluroescents.I'll try for a bette picture when it goes on the layout.

med_gallery_17883_3113_160790.jpgrmweb878knightingjaz20

• Like 2

the fuel hand pump does not fit this replacement pipe so well so it is a bit chunky...but as there is only 2 ends for 3 options I think I will conveniently hide the end of the brown pipe and use the two model bits in the black that was provided and looks ok. Here the pump is left lying on the ground.....'elf and safety would have a fit nowadays.... But Burt the Bodger (no relation to Andrew P) is fixing the hanger and has dumped it on the floor out of the way.

med_gallery_17883_3113_322333.jpgrmweb879knightwingjaz21

• Like 1

the black one in the foreground with one of the modelling bits, this also has a thin bit of copper inside for modelling purposes, I will cut it later and stick both end on the pieces and the twoo modelling bits in situ

med_gallery_17883_3113_370822.jpgrmweb880knightwingjaz22

the two closer for comparison, the black is thinner but not hopefully to much.

med_gallery_17883_3113_173193.jpgrmweb881knightwingjaz23

With this last couple of jobs, the kit is basically finished and ready to go out on the layout.It needs to be trackside

Kal has a little loco waiting for a paint job..........

• Like 2

Talking of Track side Jaz, those men look like thay are part of a Formular One Team (Blue...Mmmm Williams F1.... is that) ready to change the wheels on the next class 37... haha

All good work Jaz/Kal, great photos, I have t6o say...

Jamie

Track:

Ok so now armed with the Double O gauge standard for track:

commercialtrack.gif

http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/commercialtrack.htm

I measured Peco 100, 75 in concrete, wood and steel against this and found 

Sleepers are 3.2-3.25mm wide x 30mm long    0.05-1mm  to thin and 1mm each end too short (2mm total) not worth worrying about?

Spacing without cutting are 7 mm using same measuring above 3mm too close  correct this and your looking pretty good against the standard or leave it as it is and save yourself the trouble.

As said before Peco 75 is not high enough for flat bottom rail , it should be around 82 thou,  Newer laid track on Uk mainlines is closer 90 thou.  Not that much in the scheme of things.

The Knightwing refuelling 

med_gallery_17883_2760_358820.jpgrmweb882kalboro1

the tunnel had some more smoke added

and the floor some more ballast and rubble and grass

I also added some more small scenic scraps to the rock area

med_gallery_17883_2760_36526.jpgrmweb883kalboro2

• Like 2

her you can see the fluroescents under the canopy

the T for Telephone

and an 03 coming in for fuelling, Bert in the foreground is supposedly cleaning up, he more stirs the dirt than remove it.

The focus is on Bert and the blurred items in the background give a hint of the surround scene

This is how I think you would expect it to come over more realistic

med_gallery_17883_2760_103298.jpgrmweb844kalboro3

I have also photographed Bert without focusing on him. Does anyone think it looks more realistic? He is blurry and instead the background is focused, you can see a hint of the some on the tunnels.

Being short sighted I think picture 3 seems the more realistic, would anyone vote for picture 4?

med_gallery_17883_2760_524528.jpgrmweb885kalboro4

• Like 2

Hi Jaz,

Only an opinion, but people generally focus on what is in front of their nose  ...    which is basically what photo 3 does. .....   I tend to think that if you want to focus on the Mid-ground, then either move the camera round, so Bert is right at the side, or off-shot  ...   or   ...   keep the camera still and move Bert accordingly, so he isn't in front of the viewer's nose  ...    :scratchhead:

Jcredfer / J

Good point I have not moved the guys about which would be way more realistic. I notice there is NOT one no smoking sign on here either......which is something you had covered.Glad that you agree the focus needs to be nearby. I do tend to wonder if I am missing the obvious, so am glad someone agrees. Although it could be that it is because we are both as blind as bats  :jester:

Edited by Jaz

Knightwing refuelling Kit at Kalboro

med_gallery_17883_2760_222159.jpgrmweb886kalboro5

Bert's cousin Brian is also a bit of a bodger, either of them would be way better at carpentry than at diesel care. A bodged = a carpenter ....The Urban dictionary refers to diesel = strong powerful and sexy.....Bert and Brian are not really of this mode.....Brians closest moment to being cool is when he laughs at his own jokes by saying "Dis el do for now...."

med_gallery_17883_2760_97463.jpgrmweb887kalboro6

Edited by Jaz