Putting on an ad-hoc exhibition

MarkSG

A couple of weeks ago, I was inducted (enchained? Whatever) as Mayor of Evesham. This is not directly related to model railways, however, as part of the formal Mayor-making ceremony I was officially proposed as Mayor by one of my colleagues on the town council. In her short speech, she mentioned several of my hobbies and interests, including model railways. Later that evening, during the post-ceremony reception, I found myself involved in several conversations which started with "I hear you're into railway modelling - that's a coincidence, so am I....". 

Several of my interlocutors suggested that, as part of my fundraising activities (it's traditional for the Mayor to raise funds for a selected group of local charities) I should organise a model railway exhibition in the town. This is something that I'd previously considered, but dismissed on the grounds that it was too complicated and, even if it was successful, would be a bit self-serving. But the sheer number of people suggesting it that evening made me reconsider.

However, there are still a number of practical issues to be addressed. The first is the relatively short timescale. I'm aware that the organisation for most exhibitions starts more than a year in advance, and the most I've got is about 49 weeks (in practical terms, no more than around nine months). I also don't have any significant connections in the exhibition circuit which would help me to book layouts and traders.

So... is it realistic to organise an ad-hoc exhibition with just nine months lead time? (I was tentatively considering the mid-January slot vacated by the Leamington show. I think it will have to be 2014, as earlier is probably impractical, and I want to avoid clashing with the Cheltenham show in early spring. And it has to be before the end of April 2014 as I finish my mayoral year in early May. So January seems like the best choice.)

If so, does anyone here feel like lending a hand in putting it together? And are any of you layout owners available for that time of year?

I found myself in a similar situation in February last year when I "volunteered" to organise a model railway event to raise money for the school where I work. I had also no connections on the modelling circuit and no previous experience. However, thanks to RMWeb users, I managed to put together an exhibition in just 9 months which seemed to go ok. (We are doing it again this year!)

Therefore I do think what you are trying to do is definitely possible. I wish you lots of luck with your venture. If  you want to read about my show organising experience then you can find the link to the blog I kept below.

Once again good luck with your show!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1064/entry-8663-me-and-my-big-mouth-a-new-local-show-for-derbyshire/

Although not as an organiser of exhibitions, I have been until fairly recently, involved with clubs. The tendency of clubs nowadays seems to be to book "known" layouts that are on the exhibition circuit, probably in the desire to put on a "quality" show. However in my experience, there are plenty of layouts not on the circuit which can be found if you have the contacts. Try local clubs, and preservation societies, also model shops (though today the nearest is probably a box-shifter at the other end of the country!). Think not of a "model railway exhibition" but more of a "display of railway modelling", with less of a "them/us - public/exhibitor" relationship and more of a meeting place where the 2 sides interact more maybe? Then the perhaps drop in showing all high-end layouts is more than made up by the chit-chat that goes goes on between the 2 parties. I've experienced this myself at local dos such as village fetes, and the newish trend of club "open days", & find it quite a good mix.

Stewart

Following on from one of the points Stewart Ingram made, you might well find that the improvised nature of your potential show inspires people who would never normally even dream of exhibiting their layouts to offer them.  Some might well prove to be duds but others will be perfectly acceptable and from such acorns oaks can grow. 

I know one of one layout that got exhibited for the first time under such circumstances and on that occasion it did little more than make up the numbers.  Two years later it returned and won "Best in Show".

Even the duds can have their part to play in the overall scheme of things.  We might not like to admit it, but we all find it comforting to find at least one layout at an exhibition that we can look and think "I can do better than that" and they can often provide the motivation to prove it.

You never know - this year's dud might well inspire next year's Buck's Hill!

The best shows don't always have the best layouts. I've visited and exhibited at some great shows which have had a motley collection of exhibits, but which have been memorable for having a great social atmosphere (the RM Web members days are a particularly good example, although the standard of exhibits was perhaps higher than I'm thinking of here).

Another post on here recently mentioned bringing "beginners" layouts on to the show circuit alongside the work of more accomplished modellers, a kind of before and after approach almost, and that has much merit in demonstrating what can be achieved by an enthusiastic beginner. It's not what you show, it's what you contribute to the show that matters and that's not always in the form of tangible items.

'Best of luck with this, I'll follow with interest to see how it develops.

• RMweb Gold

Because you are doing it for charity, you may well be able to get enough help to make it work.

Two basic rules, I would suggest:

Keep the costs down by having local exhibitors (50 mile radius);

Get a cheap venue - hopefully you can use your mayoral status to aid that.

Don't forget to get suitable insurance cover.

First things first you need to find a hall, book a suitable date and get your tape measure out as you need to know exactly how much space you have. I organise a small exhibition in a local Village hall. I have a scale plan of the hall onto which I lay down cardboard pieces which are cut to the scale size of layouts and trade stands. This allows me to move them round until I fit them all in. Remember you need to leave space for fire exits and enough width in the gangways. I usially have 6ft public gangways and at least 4ft clear passage ways to the fire exits.

I find the best way to book layouts is to go along to other shows. Try to limit the number of layouts requireing accomodation to just one or two as this is a major cost factor. When looking for possible layout bookings I tend to look at the badges from other shows. If they all seem to be close by then it's a local layout and therefore the costs should be low. Ask the operator if they have any info for exhibition managers. Most layouts have information sheets to pass on for future bookings (I definatly do).

The other thing to worry about is catering. At Boston we provide all our exhibitors free meals on each day of the show. This means that your catering has a huge cost straight out the gate. Being cost effective with what you purchase for this is very important. We've now managed to turn something which regually made a loss into one which makes a small profit each year.

There are other things you can do as well especally being a charity show. Tombolas and Raffles are great money makers. For the prizes for our raffle we go around the traders and get something from them. Again as a charity show you'll proberbly do better then we do with this.

As for the Traders we usially have one of each type. (Second Hand, New RTR, Scenery bits and bobs, Video/DVD) This means that each one hasn't got any major competition and they're more likely to get trade. We charge £20 for each hall table they use. Therefore some with 3 tables pay £60 for the weeked. This makes it worth them coming. However this usially adds up to the hire cost for the hall. Once again being a charity event you may find the traders are happy to give a little extra. To recruit these go along to local shows and ask if they want to stand at your show.

It sounds like what you're trying to achieve is similar to the Charity Show that occurs in Stow-on-the-Wold in May, as a "one-off" you should be aiming it at passing casual trade, instead of creating an established modellers show or even one that is widely advertised in order to drag in the locals. I didn't get to go to the Stow Show this year but when I've been in the past it has had a nice laid-back atmosphere but with quality exhibits, instead of appearing to be too serious or unapproachable. For this reason I wouldn't bother with too much trade, just a Box shifter (Cheltenham MC...?) and a preservation society who can sell Thomas the Tank Engine models and wave their own publicity flag.

The "Winter" date in January might be off-putting for passing trade tho, especially if your venue is in a town centre as high street footfall is obviously reduced at this time and there's also the weather risk which forced the Leamington Show to move in the first place. 

Lots of good advice here. My suggestion would be to check your dates so that you don't clash with other big or local shows - also sort your venue. When you have done this you should measure the room and produce a map of the available space. I did mine in 1 foot squares. This allows you to move things around and check everything fits. Make sure you record doors, plug sockets, emergency exits and any items which can't be moved on your plan so that you are not caught out.

Once you have this you can go looking for layouts.

When I started the Weston show last year I put an appeal on here and got several layout offers as a result. I also visited other local shows and asked around to try and get more layouts and traders. I tried to go for the smaller layouts as these cost less to transport and also went for a mix of traders selling new and second hand. I also managed to get a book stall.

Then - advertise as much as you can. Leaflets, posters, adverts in model railway press.

Any questions or advice please ask I am happy to pass on my experiences - including the mistakes I made!

Archived