Bachman Ivatt and gaugemaster controller prob

sn

Just bought a Gaugemaster controller having previously used an old Morgan, everything runs fine except for a Bachman Ivatt flying Pig which will only start running at approx 50mph scale speed! All other locos perform as they did with the old controller.

All a bit odd

any ideas?

Tell us more. Can you try this loco on the old controller? How does it now respond to that? Once this loco is running, can it be operated down to a significantly slower speed? How dioes it perform then?

Thinking: it may have coincidentally acquired a simple mechanical problem, causing a bind which means it doesn't start until power is quite high. If that is the case there will probably be some lumpy running as well, especially noticeable when slowed down.

Tell us more. Can you try this loco on the old controller? How does it now respond to that? Once this loco is running, can it be operated down to a significantly slower speed? How dioes it perform then?

Thinking: it may have coincidentally acquired a simple mechanical problem, causing a bind which means it doesn't start until power is quite high. If that is the case there will probably be some lumpy running as well, especially noticeable when slowed down.

Thanks for replying

On the old controller it starts at a slow speed and runs up just as per expected. On the new, once runing (0-60 in a flash!) it will stop suddenly as soon as you go below a scale 40/50 on the controller, Its definatley not a binding mechanisim, as it is as sweet as anything on the old controller.

OK, the Ivatt is still capable of running dead slow and smoothly with the Morgan.

So when the Ivatt is running at the lowest speed you can get it to go with the Gaugemaster, what setting is that controller at? If you run another loco at this same controller setting does it go really slowly? (Ideally lift the Ivatt off the rails, drop another loco on, don't adjust the control setting.)

What I am poking at is the possibility that the Gaugemaster cannot provide a small enough output to make the Ivatt run slowly.Seems strange in what I presume is a modern piece of kit, especially as compared to the older controller, but never discount anything...

OK, the Ivatt is still capable of running dead slow and smoothly with the Morgan.

So when the Ivatt is running at the lowest speed you can get it to go with the Gaugemaster, what setting is that controller at? If you run another loco at this same controller setting does it go really slowly? (Ideally lift the Ivatt off the rails, drop another loco on, don't adjust the control setting.)

OK tried that, the replacement loco runs at a much lower spped than the Ivatt at the sme setting

it's not DCC fitted by any chance and the Gaugemaster is a feedback controller?

It isa feedback controller yes, but unles they sent me the wrong loco then it is not chipped.

Is dcc fitted the same thing?

DCC fitted = Decoder installed ('chipped'). Bachmann typically print 'DCC fitted' on the chassis underside to make it clear what you have got.

Reaction of a decoder to a DC feedback type controller is typically rather unpredictable. Anything from runs normally enough not to really matter, to erratic responses have been reported. Depends on the combination of controller and decoder presumably. But the usual complaint with a DCC decoder equipped loco on DC is that it runs rather slower in top speed than expected; and may be sluggish in control response to increasing voltage, depending on the setting in (the inaccesible without a DCC system) CV3 in particular. Rather the oopposite to your experience.

OK tried that, the replacement loco runs at a much lower speed than the Ivatt at the same setting

On the other hand, if the Ivatt is a regular DC loco, then your specimen may just have a rather efficient motor, and the Gaugemaster cannot produce a small enough output for slow speed. I have had this experience with some Bachmann motors when installing decoders; the decoder's minimum output is too large to give a dead slow crawl  - which the chassis is perfectly capable of when tested without decoder on my good old H&M clipper, with the output limited by the 'high resistance' switch. Had to go for a rather more expensive decoder with more adjustment range (Zimo instead of my usual Lenz) to fix that. You could be in the same boat with the Gaugemaster controller. If so, the manufacturer's advice will have to be obtained.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have experienced odd happenings with Gaugemaster Hand held controllers. On one dedicated section of my layout I have used the "W" type and some locos jerk on a down gradient. The feedback version does exactly that and smoothes out the jerking. However, a small tank loco, on level track, fitted with a very small Tenshodo motor refused to move and just buzzes. A swap back to the "W" and all is well. I am aware that feedback can cause motor burnout, if used excessively.

Perhaps the Ivatt has an over sensitive motor which may need a resistor?

Have you tried it coupled to another loco that is happy with both types of motor? Uncoupled, but on the same track will show you if the Ivatt is still  misbehaving.

Good luck with your testing.

Tod

Archived