Anyone ever upgraded a Tri-ang emu?

Guest maxthemapman

Guest maxthemapman

Considering that the Tri-ang dmu came out in 1958, and EM2 in 1960 (still raved about on the RM Heljan forum), the 1957 emu is, well lets say, time has not been so kind to it. Wrong length, wrong roof, wrong underframe, wrong sides, wrong bogies …

But looking at mine the other day, the front isn't too bad, the generic shape of pre-WW2 3-subs has been captured quite well.

Has anyone taken the plunge and tried a total re-build? It will never be an accurate model, but could give a better impression. On-line suggestions include cut-and-shut with Tri-ang clerestory coaches. If the side profile matches the emu, that would be nice and easy to do.

Anyone else tried something more interesting than a repaint?

Guest maxthemapman

Well, I managed to get hold of a couple of clerestory coaches at a swapmeet this weekend.

Compartment spacing in the brake coach is suitable for 3rd class, but the composite is only suitable for first class compartments.

This is all dim and distant past, first has long been declassified, so I am not expecting in-depth advice, but looking at photographs it appears that 3SUB motor-coaches were all-third and trailer coaches were composites. Is this correct? However, given that the conversions were from a motley assortment of steam stock, it would not surprise me if anything goes. There is a nice side-on picture of an SECR conversion in Colin Marsden's book towards the end of the 3-SUB section that looks good to model. Any ideas of what length underframe it would have?

In terms of books, I have:

Alan Williams

Colin Marrsden (vol 1 and 2)

Michael Baker

GT Moody

John Glover

Any other books good for photographs of pre-WW2 designs?

Finally, on to the problem in hand. Frustratingly, the clerestory coaches are so close in profile and size, but have a more severe tumblehome at the bottom, so they are much narrower than the Triang emu at solbar level. Nothing for it but to saw the whole thing lengthways. The plastic doesn't seem too brittle, so is it worth putting the clerestory coaches in hot water and trying to reduce the tumblehome?

• 3 months later...

I agree- the rewheeled motor bogie just keeps growling on! I settled for a simple extension, using an extra compartment from an old suburban coach which of course matches exactly, and a complete shaving of the roof and fitting with wire ducts & ventilators... a repaint and reletter ... new bogies as per the above with metal wheels and pickups... not an exact copy of anything, but it grinds along quite happily... the new versions run very smoothly but I rather like the chunter of the old stuff held together with solder and tape... rather like the real thing!

If you have the motor bogie with serrated wheels that is a growler! Triang actually supplied wheels (used in another bogie) that were identical but S M O O T H.... drop some of them in and it quietens it down. (I may even still have some in my spares box, being a former service agent).Also adding pickups (with insulated metal wheels of course) to other bogies will improve reliability. If you are really fussy, Ultrascale will do you some drop in replacement gears to slow it down too, though I manage with my homebuilt PWM controller. I totally refute any suggestion that these old Triang models are electrically and mechanically crude runners. I have a number in use and they will perform equally as well as modern models, though perhaps a tad noisy, and whats more, CAN BE KEPT GOING!

Stewart

Well, I managed to get hold of a couple of clerestory coaches at a swapmeet this weekend.

Compartment spacing in the brake coach is suitable for 3rd class, but the composite is only suitable for first class compartments.

This is all dim and distant past, first has long been declassified, so I am not expecting in-depth advice, but looking at photographs it appears that 3SUB motor-coaches were all-third and trailer coaches were composites. Is this correct? However, given that the conversions were from a motley assortment of steam stock, it would not surprise me if anything goes. There is a nice side-on picture of an SECR conversion in Colin Marsden's book towards the end of the 3-SUB section that looks good to model. Any ideas of what length underframe it would have?

In terms of books, I have:

Alan Williams

Colin Marrsden (vol 1 and 2)

Michael Baker

GT Moody

John Glover

Any other books good for photographs of pre-WW2 designs?

Finally, on to the problem in hand. Frustratingly, the clerestory coaches are so close in profile and size, but have a more severe tumblehome at the bottom, so they are much narrower than the Triang emu at solbar level. Nothing for it but to saw the whole thing lengthways. The plastic doesn't seem too brittle, so is it worth putting the clerestory coaches in hot water and trying to reduce the tumblehome?

Hi Max,

The book you would do well to buy is: 'Southern Electric - A New History' Volume I by David Brown, published by Capital Transport. You will not be disappointed!

All the best,

Colin

• 1 month later...

I picked up a modified Triang set the other day for $75 AUD plus postage. - The set is my profile pic. I am really happy with it as it has all wheel pick up on the powered car, flush glazing, interior detail and sounds good!. I must confess I am still learning about the Southern Electric but the model has the right feel about it. Will fill the gap until my 2 BIL arrives. I enjoy running older models - a modified EM2 and Dublo Co Bo feature on my layout. The new models are good but it's fun to give the old girls the chance to go out for a run.

Archived