Cheap 'smoke' generators, for a different project...

Ok, bit of an unusual question, but if I could pick peoples' brains...

I'm sure many of us have seen those 'smoke' generators (I'm not talking about the modern DCC ones, some of which actually look half decent!) and thought how they might look reasonable for feathering steam, but in no way resemble the smoke from a loco... I had an idea a long time ago whilst discussing potential layouts over a few pints - simulated steam heat leaks from coaches, using said smoke generators or something similar mounted under the coach, powered from the track through pickups on the coach wheels (either using DCC or DC and a capacitor). Now that the layout in question looks reasonably viable, I've got back to thinking about this idea, and was wondering:

- Does it seem practical, or have I just talked myself into the idea? I'm sitting on the fence somewhat as to whether to go down the DCC route for the first time with this layout - I wouldn't see it as absolutely necessary, but equally not absolutely worthless. Therefore, whether the project would work better with DCC may swing it. There's always the option of getting some modern Seuthe units, of course, but that might be pushing it budget-wise if I'm doing a few rakes' worth! Therefore...

- Is there a reasonble supply of the old-style units on the second hand market? I couldn't find much on eBay, but I haven't really had a chance to look specifically at exhibitions etc.

- Are there any obvious limitations? Heat comes to mind, but if generators can be fitted inside the body of a loco, I should think a comparatively well-ventilated unit under a coach should be ok. Size too, but again if it's possible to fit a unit to an N gauge loco, it should be ok under OO coaches?

Having typed all of the above, I suspect the most practical answer is indeed to go DCC and get a few Seuthe units, limiting myself to a small number of coaches (I suppose one or two coaches per rake would be sufficient, unless I'm satirising BR's maintenance programme!), but still very much open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Once the train is on the move the escaping steam heat is less obvious. Could you have an under baseboard generator feeding up under the places the ends of coach sit when the train is in the platform? You just need to be able to shut off tge feeds just before driving the train off.

Once the train is on the move the escaping steam heat is less obvious. Could you have an under baseboard generator feeding up under the places the ends of coach sit when the train is in the platform? You just need to be able to shut off tge feeds just before driving the train off.

I actually used this method back in the early 80`s inspired by a photo I took of the Shrewsbury to York mails at night on Leeds station with steam leaking up between the Class 45 and the first coach. I fitted a Seuthe unit in the four foot on one platform road at the approximate point where the coupling between loco and train would be. The effect was very convincing especially at night with just the platform lights and loco marker lights for illumination. When the train moved off the smoke unit was not very noticable between the sleepers.

Geoff.

As a general rule smoke generators need to be "upright" to work properly, whereas you want the smoke to come out underneath the vehicle.  That might be complicated, also you'd probably have to remove the roof to refill the smoke generator as well, both of which may be more complicated.  Obviously you could "hide" the gubbins in a brake coach but it might be more complicated in other coaches.

Also, the older style ones could be quite power-hungry and if you were to try and DCC them you may find you get more smoke from the chip than the unit.

If you want no DCC involvement then perhaps some sort of battery arrangement and a reed switch (of suitable power handling for the smoke unit) in the stock, combined with a big magnet under the sleepers, may be suitable for a "hands off operation".

Thanks for the replies, guys. I hadn't thought of mounting something under the baseboard itself - thinking about it that does sound by far the best compromise!

Archived