Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

22 inch widescreen monitor question...

coachmann

The reason you are getting widescreen monitors is nothing to do with how useful they are, it's because they are the same panels as used in TVs, as TVs are in 16:9 ratio so that is what you get on your monitor. Some monitors (including my Dell 20in jobbie) are in 16:10 ratio (resolutions 1680×1050, 1920x 1200 etc.) whereas if your monitor is 16:9 you would get resolutions of 1600x900 and 1920x1080.

The reason you are getting widescreen monitors is nothing to do with how useful they are, it's because they are the same panels as used in TVs, as TVs are in 16:9 ratio so that is what you get on your monitor. Some monitors (including my Dell 20in jobbie) are in 16:10 ratio (resolutions 1680×1050, 1920x 1200 etc.) whereas if your monitor is 16:9 you would get resolutions of 1600x900 and 1920x1080.

Sort of, but not quite. Yes, the reason why there are many low cost 16:9 monitors on the market is because they can use the same panels as used in TVs. However, the 16:10 ratio started to appear in high quality computer displays in the early years of the last decade and were produced in a wide range of sizes for both laptops and desktops. Your Dell, like my current Dell and iiyama monitors are of this type. I reckon most folk who have used a 16:10 prefer them because they give a better view of two portrait format windows side by side, are a more confortable ratio for graphical and CAD work etc. Nevertheless, because they are not produced in such high volume as 16:9 screens, the cost is typically higher.

Nick

...Shouldn't that be 8:5 ?...

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But, for reasons unknown to me, the convention of referring to them as 16:10 has become more or less universal. Maybe it's to help the numerically challenged to understand that they are different to 16:9? Or perhaps it's marketing, maybe someone thought 8:5 sounds 'better' than 4:3, but 'inferior' to 16:9?

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Monitors weren't necessarily 4:3. 

My 17" is 5:4  ratio (340mm x 272mm) or 1280 x 1024 pixels. - definitely not a TV size display, but quite common, monitor wise.

Keith

It seems we don't know what we want until someone tells us! Probably none of us asked for widescreen monitors. I dont think they are good for the eyes so close-up and I spend far less time on the computer now.......So much for the old British Standards. We can't have lead-solder or cellulose paint but we can have poorly made lightbulbs which blow the glass out onto the carpet when they 'go' and trip the fuze box...!

• RMweb Premium

We can't have lead-solder or cellulose paint

IMHO Rubbish.

AFAIK Both are still easily obtainable. I bought some "proper" lead/tin solder a few weeks ago.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Rapid-60-40-Tin-Lead-Flux-Cored-Solder-Wire-30236

we can have poorly made lightbulbs which blow the glass out onto the carpet when they 'go' and trip the fuze box...!

Never had one trip the breaker, although I have had these nasty halogen spots that everyone seems to want blow glass everywhere

Keith

Archived