Silver Fox Models Class 89 - reviews?

sub39h

Hi guys,

I'm working on an ECML project from the late 80s, and really like the look of the Class 89 and wish to include it. The Silver Fox model looks cracking, but I was wondering if there was any detailed information of it available from an owner. I can't seem to find anything online. I have emailed them asking for more technical information, but I also had a question regards it's appearance. Please view the short video below I found online of the Class 89 going around a loop with a short rake of Hornby Mk4s.

The roof level of the Class 89 seems higher than that of the coaches. In the real video below at the beginning there is a shot of the 89 going by in GNER livery, which shows that it is a little shorter and slimmer than that.

Is this because the body has been placed too high on the chassis, because the body of the 89 is wrong or (i suspect the likely option) the Hornby 225 is out of scale? I've read that the 89 kit is a former kit from DC models, but when I search DC kits Class 89 I get a page on their website saying it's been withdrawn for retooling, so does anyone have any more information there?

Thanks

Edited by sub39h

• 2 months later...

The Silver Fox 89 is a nice model representation of the 89 - I would definitely recommend it as an interesting addition to any ECML layout of the 1990s. Although I think it looks best in the IC swallow livery, I went for the plainer GNER liveried 89 to complete my set of their engines. I placed an order about this time last year with the chap who runs Silver Fox, and was added to a waiting list (I believe he makes up several mouldings at once, so waits to get a batch-worth) and it arrived a few months later. Here is the completed item once fitted to a donor chassis:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101169996@N08/9647032984/

I decided to go for the second option of having it part-completed, i.e. painted and liveried, with plastic pantograph assembly and handrails fitted, but without a chassis. I think this was probably the right decision, as I don't have a very steady hand for lining and would have probably made a dog's dinner of the pantograph as well.

The finish on the completed resin body as received was very good, with handrails, pantograph, transfers and sprung metal buffers fitted. My only criticism was that I do think the shade of blue it came in is a tad too light for early GNER (or at least it's quite a bit lighter than the Hornby MK4s even in lighter-blue Mallard spec, let alone the even darker navy blue shade that GNER launched with).  

Although the instructions provided are intended for a Lima 47, given that model's old-fashioned and noisy pancake motor, I followed the suggestion on the Silver Fox website of using a newer Hornby 59 and I bought a cheap Yeoman-liveried one on eBay as a donor, which perhaps was a mistake (more on that later). 

Fitting the motor and bogie to the supplied chassis was not especially straightfoward, as the supplied chassis is intended for a Lima class 47. The Hornby class 59 has a suspended cradle for holding the motorised bogey in place. This necessitated cutting the plastic chassis suspender from the donor 59. It took quite a bit of fiddling about to get the correct ride height for the locomotive before glueing with Araldite. The 59 bogie is also quite a bit wider than the Lima bogey, so the chassis cutout for the bogie had to be shaved down quite considerably. After this, the motor and bogie were able to move around freely. Here is the chassis assembly before and after having its donor bits fitted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101169996@N08/9647006298/

I used my other GNER locomotives (i.e. the class 43) as a guide for the ride height, and I think I'm satisfied that it looks correct running with Hornby MK4s.

The Silver Fox 89 is supplied with basic perspex glazing. As it doesn't sit flush, I have wondered about getting one of those glazing kits for it, but haven't got around to it yet. I'm also hoping to be able to source a pair of windscreen wipers for it at some point, as they are quite prominent on the real thing.

As supplied the model doesn't have a cab interior, but I used the two plastic cab inserts from the 59. I don't have DCC, but in case I decide to take the plunge at some point mounted the existing chip mount in the centre, along with the weights from the 59.

Also supplied with the set are some moulded resin replacements for the sides of the bogie. To fit these requires cutting the side of the bogies off. I'm afraid I chickened out of doing this, so the ones on my model are suspiciously 59-shaped but I figured it was better than destroying them.

It was only later that I discovered the reason this particular donor 59 was so cheap - it's an early Hornby one without traction tyres, which I believe they recalled at the time to fit tyres because of the lack of adhesion. So it's not the most sure-footed engine, unfortunately, and does struggle to pull a larger rake of MK4 coaches, but that's my own fault rather than the Silver Fox model's. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101169996@N08/9643821101/

Having said that, it's a very nice addition to my fleet of GNER locomotives, completing the set, as it were. Here it is nestling by its stablemates:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101169996@N08/9643835345/

Hope that's some help, do let me know if you would like additional photographs taking.

Rob

Edited by RobW
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob

Sorry for the late reply to this but I thought this thread was dead after 2 months of checking for a reply! A massive thank you for your in depth observations and commentary. In this batch for some reason there was an issue with the Swallow livery Class 89 so I didn't end up getting one in the end. I am still keen on one and your pictures have just added to my enthusiasm. Your collection looks great! Just let down by the decades-old Hornby 90 and 91 - both of which I am hoping will be replaced as I am after ones in RfD/RES and Swallow liveries respectively.

Thanks again!

S. 

I went for the fully-finished GNER version, but haven't had her long enough to comment on running qualities yet. As mentioned above, the model will benefit from flush glazing and cab interiors. The pantograph is a reasonable representation - far better than Hornby's 91. When I chip mine I'll also be fitting working lights (after I've had a practice on my DC kits one which still needs a chassis).

Edit - should have said, the fully finished model comes fitted with a Hornby DCC-ready chassis.

Edited by Ragtag

• 2 weeks later...

<Just one missing from that fleet that I can think of Rob...>

Haha, funnily enough I did look into getting a Tyne and Wear Metro at one point (ex-Newcastle student!), which I gather were made by a modelmaker called Dave Alexander, but I got the impression from various forums that they're now rather expensive/difficult to obtain. If anyone knows any different?

There was also a Class 08 outshopped in GNER colours which I believe rattled around Bounds Green - http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/photo/506

Lima produced a model of it in that livery at some point, but those are a bit outclassed these days. Perhaps I'll have to have a go at repainting a Bachmann/Hornby 08 in GNER blue...

Edited by RobW

I picked a metro kit up a couple of weeks ago from Dave. £100 static kit, £160 with two tenshodo motor bogies. Castings are good quality, mostly white metal with aluminium roofs.

Edited by Ragtag

<I picked a metro kit up a couple of weeks ago from Dave>

I'll be interested to follow your blog about that. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77542-stand-clear-of-the-doors-please/&do=findComment&comment=1196582

"The next train at...platform 2...is for...The Coast...via...Wallsend"

<Just let down by the decades-old Hornby 90 and 91>

They are a bit outdated now. I know there is a kit available to replace the moulded side grills. 

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/Products/Class%2091%20lower%20etched%20side%20grills/Class%2091%20Lower%20Etched%20Side%20Grills.htm

However, what I have been looking around for (unsuccessfully so far) is a set of etched windscreen wipers for the 91 (or just a set in a triangular formation), as that would seem to be an easy refinement. 

I seem to remember an article in an old MR about updating the Class 91 which included a blood-smear on the nose for a dead pigeon.

I have that article - was slightly bemused by that suggestion! 

I myself am starting a project updating a Class 91. The aesthetics differences will be relatively minor - PH etchings and new pantograph and a little buffer beam detailing will be as far as it goes. I have plans to remotor it though. Some of the parts came today and I am liking how this may pan out. Will keep shtum at the minute because I'd like to create a how-to once I've gotten into it and worked out some niggles. 

Edited by sub39h

I was going to do that, but for starters I've given up hope on Hornby releasing it any time soon, when they do I have little faith they'll have done much more than add a DCC port and definitely not add lights, improve the body or change the pantograph. Even if they change the motor I doubt that it'll be economical to purchase either the MR exclusive or the Flying Scotsman set and cannibalise the motor but hopefully my solution is reasonable enough. It's definitely not cheap, but it should lead to a powerful and reliable loco with all wheel pick up. 

watch me eat my words now and Hornby release a brand new tooling with matching carriages in Swallow livery meaning my parts purchase and future skinned knuckles and frustration would go to waste!

Edited by sub39h

I'm intending to buy the Scotsman set, repaint the DVT and run it with the BoBMF 91, using the chassis from the set to power my GNER 91. May end up buying more of course. Nice as a new tool would be the images on modelrailoffers suggest otherwise.

Edited by Ragtag

You won't need to repaint the DVT, as the Flying Scotsman set has long-since gone "mix and match" with any 91 providing traction.

agreed. I was stood at St Neots station about 2 months ago when there was some sort of technical fault. was waiting some 20 minutes for a train and saw the FS 91 and the DVT on different trains about 15 minutes apart. 

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I've seen one or t'other at Leeds as well. Leeds trains don't carry onto Scotland! 

I built a SF class 89 many years ago when they were first produced.

Even back then I thought the kit was a very nice model and recall the hardest/most challenging part was to take all the flash from the window apertures. Not very taxing at all.

The model was for a good friend of the time, but I've not seen him for years and so can't provide any more pictures or info.

I'd like to build another one, as I saw her a few times in all her guises, but have no real need and too many other projects on the go.

Cheers.

Sean.

Have a look at Rail Express Modeller August 2012 issue, I built the Silver Fox/DC kits class 89 in both it's BR guises. Used a Hornby (ex lima) class 66 (or 59) power and trailing bogie on the existing kit chassis, available as spares from ebay or peter's spares etc. With this mechanism it will quite happily haul 8 MK3s and a DVT with no issues at all. I added much needed weight in the form of liquid lead. 

Makes a good model with a decent chassis and a bit of detailing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Heljan didn't produce one at some point, it's kind of in their ballpark of one off and unusual releases. 

Edited by Lochnagar

• 7 years later...

Hi All, Sorry to jump on an old post but what would you all recommend for a “modern” chassis so it can be chipped? I seen online some used a vi trains class 37 chassis and mentions of a Hornby DCC Ready Chassis but unsure what class the Hornby one would come from. I’m sure I’ve also seen a while back someone recommended Bachmann Class 25 chassis but needed some modifications. It was a while ago so could be getting mixed up with another project.