The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

what to do in the lake district

porkie

Me and the missus are off to the lake district for a week with our son who is 3.

Could anyone recommend places to go or visit, as its our first time on the west coast.

If it helps we are staying near grange over sands

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I think at 3 years old he would certainly appreciate the Ravenglass and Eskdale about an hours drive from the Grange area and well worth a visit.  Don't attempt what my father did when he took me up Skidaw at the age.  I remember being carried quite a bit of the way but nowadays we would probably have been met on the way down by Social Services.

Keswick is well worth a visit with either a trip on the lake or a walk along the old railway track towards Threshfield.

Jamie

I think at 3 years old he would certainly appreciate the Ravenglass and Eskdale about an hours drive from the Grange area and well worth a visit.

I'd endorse that suggestion, as we did the same with our kids at a similar age and it seemed to hold their attention. Being only 15 inch gauge it is somehow the "correct size" for little fellas.

There is also the standard gauge Haverthwaite and Lakeside Railway about 10 miles away from you and arrival at Lakeside also offers the possibility of a Lake Windermere cruise, although it might be a bit expensive as a day out.

Around Grange then another vote for Ravenglass and Eskdale from me. Near there is also Muncaster Castle, again plenty of entertainment especially if there is an event on. They have the World Owl centre there with plenty to see.

There is also the South Lakes Wildlife centre at Dalton which is a great little zoo, nice and compact but with plenty to see.

Again as mentioned a trip on the Lakeside Railway and cruise up to Bowness on the boat for an ice-cream.

Loads of places for walks but then you'll probably need a carrier for the little one as it's usually climbing hills which ever way you go. For short walks the promenade from the station along Grange is great for little kids, we used to take ours and a few play areas followed by ice creams kept them going all day. 

Archived