Struggling to get any sense from Sketchup

Hello there.

I recently joined the group, having seen the really great work done on an N gauge Pendolino (and other models from the same builder), and decided I really have to try this!

I've done a little work on a first file in Sketchup, and it doesn't play the game for me.  Is anyone willing to take a look at what I've done, see what's wrong, and more importantly, tell me how they discovered what was wrong?  It's not a huge project - just a 4mm W-iron.  (I had an idea that I could save it as a component, then create solebars of various lengths and wheelbases by using it.)

The site isn't letting me upload the .skp file, so I might have to send it by email.

Cheers!

GJChurchward

Also on the shapeways site, if you have a poke around, they have some usefull information about how to go about checking your model prior to uploading it.

As you progress, you will notice that Shapeways either send you a 'Yah it works' or a 'ooops try again' with no pointer as to what's really wrong.

There are other tools out there though, that will help you out and to some extent correct minor errors with you model. Check out Meshlab and Netfabb.

Above all, experience is what you need, after a very short time you will learn the tricks and know what to look for yourself in your models so that you can do everything with just sketchup. The good thing with Shapeways, is that you can upload, update or delete your models if you're not happy, so you can keep on practicing before you commit to print anything.

There is a useful plugin for Sketchup that allows direct export to STL format (one of the formats accepted by Netfabb) :

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Personally I have found Meshlab to be incomprehensible (other than for file conversion) so I usually use Netfabb Basic. Netfabb also operate a cloud service for file repairs.

Thanks, good people.

I will certainly get that plugin for exporting to STL, since I fully agree with the comment about Meshlab.  (Disappointingly, I discovered that the online 'Help' gave me a broken link, so I was unable to see any meaningful documentation.  It could just be that the site was down when I attempted it, of course.)

After burning a lot of midnight oil, I'm not far off completing my first 'project', which is a GWR T8/T11 wagon body in 4mm, to fit the Parkside 'Bloater' underframe.  I've discovered how to use Sketchup rather more productively since my original post, I'm pleased to say.

One question that I haven't found any answer to yet, is this.  If I make components as I've just suggested, to use in conjunction with commercial parts manufactured in ABS, can I assemble everything with MEK or Daywat, or do I need to use cyano?

I have not tried solvent-welding 3D prints, but I have successfully used Evo-Stik and epoxy on FUD, PG and WSF. As for fillers, Milliput and Squadron Green seem safe to use. I use Kristal Klear for fitting printed glazing.

Archived