Advice needed on building a plasticard 0 16.5 engine shed

hayfield

With track building nearing completion my thoughts are turning to making a start on the buildings, the engine shed is the first as it is needed to complete the trackwork.

I plan to use Southeastern Finecast brick sheets in a plasticard ply sandwich, first thoughts were to have 30 thou brick sheet then a 60 thou plain sheet and a 30 thou inner brick sheet (as I would like to see brick detail inside). This would give me a nice thick 3mm wall but is it thick enough as I have some lazer cut card windows, which with the glazing are 1.25mm thick (then glue will increase the size again a bit). and want them recessed into the wall

With the windows recessed into the wall I dont fancy cutting too many sheets of thick card. How thick would the walls have been? as a brick in 7mm is appx 5mm long.

Rather than have sheets of plasticard between the brick sheets I could have a series of 5mm strips of plasticard but that will have problems in glueing the internal brick wall to it. I also need to cut out a gap above the circular and replace with a set of scribed bricks layed on end, so will need some form of backing to give them a good join

What do others do in 7mm to overcome thess problems please

• RMweb Gold

hi John,

Your post reminded me of an article in this month's Model Rail magazine on a 7mm ng layout by Ken Jackson called "Halfway". It mentions building construction, if that's of any help?

all the best,

Keith

Archived