District Line Locomotives

Starting to come together. The roof was an absolute pig as the clerestory changes arc as it curves down and tends to infinite radius at the join

Still need to do the sides doors, rivets, buffers, anti-climb blocks and some panel details. In particular the panel details around the doors are confusing. It seems to be another case of the drawings and photographs being in disagreement.

Then I need a few LTSR coaches to keep them company perhaps.

Annoyingly while they look like B stock the B stock vehicles are actually quite different being wooden and with both end and side profile differences - so no easy B stock ...

post-6740-0-58787300-1371844159.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finished the design and got the prints today. Except that I forgot to turn the anti-climbers and the buffers on before I sent it to print :fool: . Good enough for testing though and may even simply knock up the other bits and fit them the old fashioned way.

Next problem is a chassis. Need to get a pair of 6'6 bogies and drive into 49mm length. Hopefully there is something suitable Japanese or German to abuse.

Brush primered the test ones.

post-6740-0-32835700-1377211415_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Finished the design and got the prints today. Except that I forgot to turn the anti-climbers and the buffers on before I sent it to print :fool: . Good enough for testing though and may even simply knock up the other bits and fit them the old fashioned way.

Next problem is a chassis. Need to get a pair of 6'6 bogies and drive into 49mm length. Hopefully there is something suitable Japanese or German to abuse.

Brush primered the test ones.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I would suggest the Bachmann 44-tonner as a chassis source.

Too long isn't it - by an annoying 6 or 7mm ?

You might be able to use the Bachmann 45 Ton Side Rod switcher and remove the side rods.  I can't seem to find the accurate dimensions of the loco online, but i have one at home i can measure over the weekend if you think it might be an acceptable option.  The biggest problem i think you'd have is the model runs at industrial loco speeds (i.e. slow) and may not do the trick for a faster goal without re-powering it.

Reference - http://www.ehattons.com/26319/Bachmann_USA_85202_GE_Center_cab_45_Ton_switcher_in_black_with_yellow_handrails/StockDetail.aspx

There is also a forum link with a ruler that's hard to read in the images which is the closest to dimensions i can find - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27115

-Stephen

• RMweb Premium

You might be able to use the Bachmann 45 Ton Side Rod switcher and remove the side rods.  I can't seem to find the accurate dimensions of the loco online, but i have one at home i can measure over the weekend if you think it might be an acceptable option.  The biggest problem i think you'd have is the model runs at industrial loco speeds (i.e. slow) and may not do the trick for a faster goal without re-powering it.

Reference - http://www.ehattons.com/26319/Bachmann_USA_85202_GE_Center_cab_45_Ton_switcher_in_black_with_yellow_handrails/StockDetail.aspx

There is also a forum link with a ruler that's hard to read in the images which is the closest to dimensions i can find - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27115

-Stephen

Aren't the bogies interchangeable? It should be far easier to swap the bogies than remove the side rods. If you go that way I would be interested in the side rod bogies for some Bermuda Railway stock I am thinking of building.

Aren't the bogies interchangeable? It should be far easier to swap the bogies than remove the side rods. If you go that way I would be interested in the side rod bogies for some Bermuda Railway stock I am thinking of building.

They are removable, i don't have any other Bachmann locomotives to see if the bogies are interchangeable between different Bachmann models with different sideframes.

Removing the side rods is pretty easy, i took them off for painting on my model, other than being a bit fiddly, i had no problems getting them on and off.

If the trucks can be interchanged with those from the 44 tonner, the shorter chassis with those wheels may meet the orig posters needs.

Yes, yes they are, i never got that you are in N scale from your original post.  Dimensions in mm are meaningless to me.  No help here then, sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived