Signalling on industrial systems

I hope someone can help I've just about completed the box for my layout based on Philadelphia.My question is telegraph equipment.I have found a couple of good pics of the box one showing part of the interior another a good shot from outside.I can see no sign of bells or track block indicators!

I remember watching trains at the crossing and my memory tells me I heard bells I know there was a telephone in the cabin and there is a good pic of the track diagram board on the Lambton loco trust site.I am going to put an interior levers, stove etc into my box and the bits supplied with the Springside kit are nice and crisply moulded,so I would like to use them.I must say my box isn't a replica but based on the box at Phili.

I know Phili was run vitrually like the Mainline Railways and drivers had to be passed out by the Mainline inspectors and somewhere in the deep grey matter I recall being told the signalmen likewise.

Simon

It all depends on the system you are modelling and the date, Ashington Colliery was fully signaled with signalling to mainline type with al the block instruments, later Lynemouth was modernised in the early 1950's with colour light signalling to the same design as was later installed in the Newcastle box for BR.

The Ashington drivers were examined by the local BR traction inspector as the bit of line from Hurst Lane to Woodhorn was BR with NCB having running powers!

Mark Saunders

Thanks for replies I'm aware that all Phili drivers had to be passed to run on the mainline and something nags at the old grey matter that their signalmen also were passed. I know the system was fully signalled,mainly the old NER slotted type but not all there was a lovely bracket signal at the top of Shop Row.There is one picture I have found of Junction Bank box showing some form of telegraph equipment.Junction box was very similar to Phili box both being Mckenzie Holland boxes as was the bracket signal.Would it be possible that the bell equipment be on the back wall of the box?.I think I will go ahead and put the equipment in as I feel sure the system was set up for block working.I then have to try and build the afore mentioned bracket signal,but that is for the future.

The original signalling was all ripped out when the box was demolished circa 1972-73?.The remaing bits left had colour light signals installed but by then the system was a shadow of its former self 

Archived