Warris' CNJ Terminal - How he built the track

trisonic

I don't know why but if you click on the first page you'll find a diagram of how Tim isolated the various components for operation. The blog seems to be organized by MRH in a rather haphazard way - it all there but you may have to search for it!

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, I think this is very impressive.  One thing I think is important to note is that Tim (as the jig maker for and owner of Fast Tracks) seems to have constructed a custom machined jig for the trackwork.  How many of us can do (or afford) that?  I had a debate with a friend about the merits of the UK system of trackbuilding vs Fast Tracks.  My position is that the UK system permits unlimited flexibility in point geometry and curvature (paper templates) while, for Fast Tracks, you need to buy the jigs for each configuration. The UK system can be virtually free (copper clad) while Fast Tracks points will set you back $45 each (assuming you only make the 5 points included in the kit).

Now, clearly, UK and North American philosophy on the subject is probably different.  The typical UK layout (end to end) will require a handful of points, probably all different while many NA layouts (the basement empire) require dozens, many the same.

As has been said by others, there is no right or wrong here, just what you are comfortable with.

John

I'm not promoting Fast Track........read my original post.

Needless to say even people in the UK have bought into Tim's system and plenty of people in the USA and Canada do NOT use his system. Clearly sweeping statements tend to be meaningless.

No offence meant (and Tim is a good guy).

Best, Pete.

I didn't mean to say you were promoting Fast Tracks, just relating what I thought was some relevant discussion on the pros and cons of the system(s).  I don't know Tim but I don't doubt he is a good guy.  I also don't doubt that excellent point work can be produced using Fast Tracks.

John

Ive followed his layout for a while now, updates have been a bit sparse of late but its a great project.

I think Shortliner tracked down a video by Tim (relatively early in the build) where he took a break and simply picked up all the track he'd already finished and hung it off a nail on the wall! It certainly is tough...

Best, Pete.

Archived