Well - I await delivery of the High Level RSH.

I've seen a few threads - including a complete build thread (very useful) regarding High Level Kits (read the instructions - read again etc), but it seems that these are excellent kits. High Level themselves seem to be very helpful after a chat on the phone too.

But - I have seen a couple of you mention wheelsets. Mine have been delivered already (Markits 10 spoke 3'6")

If anyone has any issues or suggestions re these wheelsets, it'd be good to hear from you.

Gauge will be 16.5mm so I'm hoping I wont have any clearance problems between crankpin retainers and crosshead / cylinders...............

I will attempt to update the thread as I progress....................

Little chuffer I have started building mine over on the Scalefour forum. I think the clearance should be ok. Mine will be built to p4 with Alan Gibson wheels which I need to order. I am on sick leave for the next 2 days so I may get so more done. To add to the difficulty I will be springing mine using CSB's the same way as RobM on my thread has done. The body goes together quite quickly as Chris's instructions and build ability is extremely high. I will point out that I have previously built the black hawthorn (see the thread on the q6 on the s4 forum to see how it went together... Along wi some of my other things I have been building)

Little chuffer I have started building mine over on the Scalefour forum. I think the clearance should be ok. Mine will be built to p4 with Alan Gibson wheels which I need to order. I am on sick leave for the next 2 days so I may get so more done. To add to the difficulty I will be springing mine using CSB's the same way as RobM on my thread has done. The body goes together quite quickly as Chris's instructions and build ability is extremely high. I will point out that I have previously built the black hawthorn (see the thread on the q6 on the s4 forum to see how it went together... Along wi some of my other things I have been building)

Thanks Doug,

I'll have a look at your thread - interested about the springing. I'm off work too (fell off The Cheviot while being the days medic for the Mountain Rescue - how embarrassing!) I haven't taken the plunge towards P4 - or even EM for that matter - one day maybe. I'll try and keep this thread going with some build photos as I go, so if you see anything to advise on that'd be great.

Get well soon

Eagerly awaiting the postman - should be here today or tomorrow :)

Anybody considering a High Levels kit - Chris is probably one of the most helpful people around. I haven't even received it yet and he's already helping with possible issues! Highly recommended so far!

It's going in the post today I've been told - time to clear the workbench! :)

Ooh what is he helping with. It is a challange to find what version you would like to build. Since I have been building the body I have since found a couple of versions I would have liked to build..... Doesn't look too hard to come up with a little bit of kit bashing for other options. Such as an open backed cab... Did like that version. I found them by trawling through Wikipedia and then doing a google search for the preserved line and then the photos turned up!

Enjoy the build... I have only spent about 10 hours and have most of e body built... Along with the gearbox. Ahh all too quick but enjoyable. (I use a temperature controlled iron with 180 degree solder... Then a dremel with a wire flap wheel to clean off the excess)

Hi Doug. We were discussing wheel sets etc - great when you get a producer that's happy to spend time on the phone without being in a rush!

Mine will turn into as close a representation of Asbestos (currently on the Chasewater Railway) as possible. A little tweaking here and there should do the trick.

I do like the Dremel flap wheels - used with caution! I've damaged surfaces before by being a bit over zealous!

.................still awaiting the postman!! Workbench is ready and waiting!post-19678-0-37838300-1372935827.jpg

It wouldn't take much to turn the RSH kit into a Bagnall 14" seeing as the Bagnall design was a direct copy of the Hawthorn Leslie original. There's a GA of the Bagnall design here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/bagnall_no2.htm

Photo of Bagnall 2842 https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6432992829_5751babffd.jpg

There's quite a few options I think, bearing in mind the GA of quite a few engines were similar in many respects. Asbestos is the choice simply as its one of my 8 yr olds favourites at the railway we volunteer at. Not quite sure what he's going to make of a box of bits and how Daddy's going to turn it into an engine! :)

Looks lovely, the livery could take a while to paint. Does it have a full solid back to the cab? You will need to get some oval buffers. Personally I will be building mine with some sprung buffers from Alan Gibson which I must order. I have not seen asbestos before but a lovely looking engine... Your son may even get a cab ride or 2 if you volunteer. My boy is off doing other things and dad is a bit boring compared to the (Australian) national boys choir! The comment is usually " I like the new engine" he does drive the class 25 around the oo layout quite regularly.

I would quite like to do an enfolded livery at some stage.

Just noticed that you will have to relocate the water filler as it is to the back of the tank rather than between the chimney and the dome.... Some thing to keep in mind when building the kit.

Hi Doug,

Yes the livery will be worth taking a long time over. I'll use plain yellow lining transfers and just do a bit at a time.

It does have a solid back to the cab, but I'm already thinking about Colin MacAndrew which has the open back - there's just something about an open back that's appealing.

Oval buffers will be sprung items - I'll have a measure up next time I'm there to get the right ones. I'm sure they're smaller than the standard stock ones.

He's already been riding up and down on various footplates with a little drive of the North British diesel they've got (an adult hand on the controls at all times!!). Him and I do ticket inspection - it's about all they can let him do under supervision, but its great PR for the railway and he loves it. I'd rather he did that and enjoy our heritage than sit in front of the telly!

Oh and it still hasn't arrived :( Eager to get started.

Tim

This is a really good kit to build with excellent instructions. I'd go as far to say it is the best kit I have ever built. Mine is awaiting the paint shops at the moment. Plain black no thing  fancy like asbestos. I know you will enjoy it. The only slight difficulty is the clearance behind the slide bars and working out how to fit pick ups. Have you seen this other thread on building one

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64530-high-level-0-4-0-kit-and-the-virgin/  . Please keep us informed of your progress and do not worry about duplicating a thread we are still interested to see how some one else gets on.

Good luck.

David.

Tim,

I do much the same with my son who's 7 and regularly accompanies me to Foxfield. So far he has 'driven' Florence No.2, Wimblebury, Bagnall 2824 and one of the visiting Port of Par Bagnall's (that was just the right size for him!). Aside from the standard gauge stuff he helps out on the miniature railway at Foxfield and really enjoys riding around on that. I'm hoping that getting his enthusiasm going nice and early will help in the future and there's plenty of skills to be learned volunteering at a heritage railway.

Looking forward to seeing how the build goes.

David - thanks for the reminder re clearances. It's 16.5mm gauge, so I've a little more to play with than the EM / P4 chaps.

Avonside - yup - couldn't agree more. I'd far rather my little man had a day out getting sooty and dirty with a smile on his face than anything else. How a steam engine works has already helped him with science at school!

Couldn't resist a little start - firebox / front retaining nut done - bunker etch ready for holes opening out / folding up and fixing.

I'll clean the excess solder from around the nut etc in a bit.

post-19678-0-01025300-1373033543_thumb.jpg

Well today has been constructive. May not look like much has been done, but its a start. A bit of cleaning up required, but otherwise a joy to work on.

Not much will be done this weekend - there's a small matter of a few A4's to see and a young chaps birthday!

post-19678-0-27351200-1373063465_thumb.jpg

Well can you put up a photo or 2 it is a little hard for me to drop in on the NRM. It is the one disadvantage of living on the other side of the earth! Tried to convince SWMBO that all of us could fly to the UK to see the A4's but no go...something about 24hrs travelling in a plane...so I have to content myself with building locos also a bit cheaper.

I think my boy would enjoy volunteering but I think the OHS laws kick in and he can't until he is 12 which is probably too late with high school and all the other things that come with the teenage years.

Hi Doug,

I'll make sure you get a photo or 2 or 3 - if I can get some thro the crowds!

Health and Safety precludes my boy from doing anything until he's older, but they view it as the staff member "being accompanied by". Lets face it - he wants to - they want him to - he does it all with his mum or dad - and he gets a fortune in his collection tin for the railway!

Elf and safety doesn't stop some involvement with suitable supervision.....

post-8705-0-14902500-1373273758_thumb.jpg

Adding to the fire on 'Wimblebury'

post-8705-0-47533200-1373273767_thumb.jpg

Just the right size for 'Judy'

I've seen kids of a similar age on horses that are a damn sight more unpredictable and dangerous than a steam engine and there doesn't seem to be any hang up about H&S there!

P.S. Will stop highjacking your thread now Tim :)

Nigel

Elf and safety doesn't stop some involvement with suitable supervision.....

attachicon.gifImage0337.jpg

Just the right size for 'Judy'

How many people saw that picture and thought that it is a direct cross between Fred Dibnah and Mick "Time Team" Aston ???

Flymo

Nigel - no worries at all! What fab photos! It's great to see youngsters doing that sort of thing. They're the future of our heritage being there when we're gone! Vitally important they are. Plus - look at the smile on his face! I say to mine "you haven't had a good day out unless you come home mucky"

Well can you put up a photo or 2 it is a little hard for me to drop in on the NRM. It is the one disadvantage of living on the other side of the earth! Tried to convince SWMBO that all of us could fly to the UK to see the A4's but no go...something about 24hrs travelling in a plane...so I have to content myself with building locos also a bit cheaper.

I think my boy would enjoy volunteering but I think the OHS laws kick in and he can't until he is 12 which is probably too late with high school and all the other things that come with the teenage years.

Doug - have you an email address - I'll send you some photos of the A4's now I'm home..........

Well I'm back at the workbench after a weekend away. The Great Gathering at York was a memorable experience.

The cab front, coal shutes have been added - not too tricky due to the excellent standard of the kit.

The main body of the tank is done. This was the bit I was most worried about bearing in mind it's the bit you're going to look down on.

I decided not to anneal the wrapper, but just take my time making the main radius and corners. The instructions recommend using a vice and wood packing for the sharp corners, annealing and rolling for the main radius. Good instructions, but I prefer to feel the metal as it forms its shape.

So the bottom edges were formed by holding the wrapper on the cutting mat with a straight edge and making the bend. The give in the mat gave just the right sharp radius to go round the former.

The main radius was made by placing the wrapper on the cutting mat - lifting one of the edges with my index fingers and rolling a wood dowel over it. Sounds all fingers and thumbs I know, but its tactile and you can see / feel the metal taking its shape.

Anyway - enough waffling - progress so far in the photo :)

post-19678-0-49661900-1373442030_thumb.jpg

Tank fittings on (injectors / steps etc). The tank steps on Asbestos are at the rear of the tank - lesson learnt - always check your prototype photos - I had to reposition mine from the location in the instructions.

Tank fitted to cab and footplate assembly - excellent instructions on this process with the kit.

Given a little clean up ready for fitting of smoke box detail pieces.

post-19678-0-06487900-1373455174_thumb.jpg

Looking good Tim, I decided to anneal the wrapper which worked well for me. It was the first time I have ever annealed a boiler to roll it. It is certainly an easier way to do it. One the next loco I think I may try it again.

Archived