Bloworth Crossing

Ruston

Today I went to the NRM to see the Great Gathering and then went further north to explore some unsurfaced byways. Whilst out on one of these I stopped to make a brew where the Cleveland way crossed the byway. There was a sign saying this was Bloworth Crossing and whilst it had information about flora and fauna it said nothing about what was obviously a railway line.

We're in NER territory here and I'd been looking at the tile map in York station earlier in the day but this line wasn't on so does anyone know more about it? I am wondering if it wasn't an NER line then, as we're not far from ironstone mining areas, was it an industrial line?

The byway runs left to right and the photo is taken facing more or less westward.

Bloworth2_zps52d17a34.jpg

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how far in the direction of the photo it stretched as there seemed to be a great difference in height not much further that way but now I see it had a rope-worked incline.

Nice series II btw - good to see proper sills on one too, though get a capstan for the proper look. I'll excuse you the tyres though. The original things are bloody awfull by today's standards. Did you do the whole of Rudland Rigg then? How's the section north-east of Blowarth?

Nice series II btw - good to see proper sills on one too, though get a capstan for the proper look. I'll excuse you the tyres though. The original things are bloody awfull by today's standards. Did you do the whole of Rudland Rigg then? How's the section north-east of Blowarth?

I did the whole lot solo, despite having seen photos in LRO where one of their journos needed a spotter to help him down the rocky section north of Bloworth Crossing. The very north end has got some big washouts from the winter rains but nothing a proper Land Rover can't cope with.

I'll pass on the capstan thanks. Besides, a capstan won't mate with a 200Tdi engine.

Journos. No comment. I've been in that game for ten years and unfortunately practice and presentation are often two completely different beasts. IIRC I've taken a freelander II up the rocky bit you mention. Discovery or defender 200tdi? BTw I have an intention of finally cycling this route having started it with the incline twenty years ago and getting turfed off by a gamekeeper who sent us back to Battersby by the long road round the edge of the moors.

Archived