Baker's Yard

• RMweb Premium

I have built this layout as a test track for wagons with Kadee couplers, and with the potential to turn it into an Inglenook style shunting puzzle ...

The baseboard is a softwood frame with the track bed set between the longitudinals instead of the usual mounting on top. This keeps the overall thickness of the model to a minimum, and provides a visible 'frame' to enclose the layout as a 'picture'. There is also a bottom cover (2 mm mdf), also fitted between the side rails, this works with the track bed to provide bracing. Essentially this is a cellular construction with all the baseboard parts working together, size is 39 x 8-3/8 inches overall, with end panels 2-1/2 inches tall.

The track bed is 5 mm foam board and the track is Peco: one asymetric 3-way point and with the sleepers on the plain line set to 10 mm pitch. Glued down with Evo-stik Timebond, sprayed with Halfords grey primer. Two slide switches with piano wire links move the tiebars and switch the frogs.

Looking at the model as a potential micro layout, the three sidings will have a side loading platform, an end loading platform and a space for a brake van or a wagon 'out of service'. There will be a watercourse passing below a plate girder bridge at the neck end, this is for aesthetic reasons and to prove the integrity of the baseboard design. I will keep the height of the landscape and structures above the track bed to less than an inch to make the model easier to store.

I built this model to try out Kadee couplers (see Preferred height for Kadee couplers on UK 4mm scale models) ... with all of my couplers set up now, I can turn to dressing this layout up a bit.

Richard.

post-14389-0-68091100-1373233510.jpg

post-14389-0-52020500-1373233513.jpg

post-14389-0-10219200-1373233512.jpg

First posted 7th June 2013 ; edit 8th June to clarify baseboard structure and hyperlink to related topic; edit on 26th February 2014 to add layout name to topic title.

• RMweb Premium

These are the four structures for the layout. I had a go this evening with some aerosols of car primer - white, grey and red oxide, and I am quite chuffed with the variations I have managed to get. The sides of the Hornby platform are plain grey; everything else is a mixture. The surface of the Hornby Dublo platform, which is a tiny amount of black overspray over solid grey, is one of the best bits of tarmac I have ever managed, tho' rather a small area! Quite chuffed with it all really. I know "weathering" is often applied onto the top of a finished model, but I wonder if it is sometimes be better to start with the corrosion colour, then the original paint, then the fading, then the moss and dirt?

Richard.

post-14389-0-67285900-1373487132.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

what is the function of the hollow end of the baseboard?

Julie

A space for a girder bridge to carry the railway over a watercourse.

Thanks for this, you have reminded me to get back to the model. It's been untouched for weeks, too many exhibitions.

- Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Richard,

Because of the asymmetric layout of the point, do you have any problems with the wheels of stock jumping the frogs on the point?

I want to get back into micro layout building after a 15 year gap. I previously have only used medium turnouts.

• 3 weeks later...

I have built this layout as a test track for wagons with Kadee couplers, and with the potential to turn it into an Inglenook style shunting puzzle ...

The baseboard is a softwood frame with the track bed set between the longitudinals instead of the usual mounting on top. This keeps the overall thickness of the model to a minimum, and provides a visible 'frame' to enclose the layout as a 'picture'. There is also a bottom cover (2 mm mdf), also fitted between the side rails, this works with the track bed to provide bracing. Essentially this is a cellular construction with all the baseboard parts working together, size is 39 x 8-3/8 inches overall, with end panels 2-1/2 inches tall.

The track bed is 5 mm foam board and the track is Peco: one asymetric 3-way point and with the sleepers on the plain line set to 10 mm pitch. Glued down with Evo-stik Timebond, sprayed with Halfords grey primer. Two slide switches with piano wire links move the tiebars and switch the frogs.

Looking at the model as a potential micro layout, the three sidings will have a side loading platform, an end loading platform and a space for a brake van or a wagon 'out of service'. There will be a watercourse passing below a plate girder bridge at the neck end, this is for aesthetic reasons and to prove the integrity of the baseboard design. I will keep the height of the landscape and structures above the track bed to less than an inch to make the model easier to store.

I built this model to try out Kadee couplers (see Preferred height for Kadee couplers on UK 4mm scale models) ... with all of my couplers set up now, I can turn to dressing this layout up a bit.

Richard.

attachicon.gifDSCF9905.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF9933.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF9909.jpg

First posted 7th June; edit 8th June to clarify baseboard structure and hyperlink to related topic.

Sorry to lower the tone but I've just realised that the grey primer makes this trackwork look a bit like the old Tri-ang Series 3 track. I apologise now!

• RMweb Premium

Hello Richard,

Because of the asymmetric layout of the point, do you have any problems with the wheels of stock jumping the frogs on the point?

I want to get back into micro layout building after a 15 year gap. I previously have only used medium turnouts.

Hi Angus,

I'm using fairly modern stock from mostly Bachmann and Hornby. Some has EM wheels re-gauged to 16.5 mm, and everything runs through the point without problems. This is a bit surprising because an EM wheel is a little thinner than an OO wheel (and will fall into crossing gaps more easily), but everything works fine. My Model Rail / Dapol Sentinel runs through the succession of frogs without stalling and this is probably the best test I could hope for, the wheelbase of this loco is very short.

Sorry for the rather tardy reply,

- Richard.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The layout now has a name, which is "Bakers Yard". This is from the length of the model, 39 inches, which is thirteen twelfths of a yard. Oh well ... however it is a bit better than "micro test track".

A am hoping to take the model to the Chelmsford show at the St Augustine Church (off New Bowers Way) on 5th April. This will be interesting, because my contractual commitments at work will prevent any modelling before the end of March. The show will of course be well worth a visit to see all the other layouts there ...

- Richard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I made a display panel in place of the usual backscene, and displayed the model at the Chelmsford 'small' show today. This is a family and general public show, and the model prompted four or five discussions with parents planning their first layout, or their first layout for their children. There were another ten or twelve discussions with modellers interested in the use of foam board as a track bed, Peco track with 'gapped' sleepers ... and above all, slide switches as mechanical point controls. If there is one gap in the trade support for the hobby it is a ready-made point mechanical point lever with built-in adjustment for throw and some electrical change-over contacts.

Fundamentally, the show was the only time I have operated the model in more than a investigative sort of a way. The Hornby Sentinel (brand new this afternoon!) and the J94 ran flawlessly, but the model has never satisfied me as a layout ... and is now in the hands of a club member who was pleased to buy it, and hopes to add a fiddle yard.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-39107100-1396717738_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-05840000-1396717752_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-75013400-1396717770_thumb.jpg

Sorry to lower the tone but I've just realised that the grey primer makes this trackwork look a bit like the old Tri-ang Series 3 track. I apologise now!

Took me right back to childhood :)

I'be been toying with building a small N gauge layout. Perhaps a copy of Baker's yard's but, with 2 points.

This will be my first time I have worked in N!

Julie

Are you going to give us an update on Trefeglwvs Road?  I'd like to see how it's going.

It's had some more scenic work done, BUT I need a layout which I can take with me when I am away from home for an extended period, that can be carried as hand baggage. Hence my toying with N gauge. Trefeglwvs Road is still being worked on.

Julie

Archived