RMweb

Premier Components

Guest Paulig44

Guest Paulig44

Does anyone have any idea just how this 'business' operates?  I sent an email (I live in Melbourne, Australia) and asked for a specific set of rods for a four coupled loco not listed in the catalogue.  A swift reply came back saying that these would not be a problem.  A week later a package arrived with two superb rods enclosed.  Thinking to myself that I may as well strike whilst the iron is hot, I sent another email asking for various other rods and one set of mainframes.  The reply arrived almost instantly quoting the full price and saying they would take 'about 7 days' to manufacture.  I sent off an email agreeing to everything and indicated that I would send a £Stg cheque for the full amount.  That cheque was honoured by my UK bank on the 12th. of April.  Despite three emails asking what, if any, the problem is, there are no replies and no rods or frames!  Have others experienced similar problems?   Is there an approach which works?...

• RMweb Premium

Remember that the original enquiry has come from Australia . . . . but having said that, it seems like that might be your best option. I don't know if you are a member of the Gauge O Guild, but there was a similar posting there a few months ago about lack of contact which said the best time to call is 5.00/5.30 pm (UK time !)

http://www.gauge0guild.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3129

They would also appear to be in breach of the UK Distance Selling Regulations and you could report them to the local 'Trading Standards Office' maintained by the local authority in the area where they are based.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

A contract must be carried out within the time limits agreed

with the consumer as stated in the terms and conditions. If

no period is set then the statutory time limit is 30 days from

the day after the consumer sent the order to you. If this is not

possible you must advise the consumer before the deadline.

If the goods didn’t arrive in time your consumer is entitled to a

full refund, including the postage and packaging, unless they

agree to a new deadline to give you more time.

EDIT AS I JUST REALISED THIS IS POST 2000 !

Guest Paulig44

Have you tried calling them? Often works better than an email.

Thanks...I may just do that.....nothing else seems to be working!

Guest Paulig44

Remember that the original enquiry has come from Australia . . . . but having said that, it seems like that might be your best option. I don't know if you are a member of the Gauge O Guild, but there was a similar posting there a few months ago about lack of contact which said the best time to call is 5.00/5.30 pm (UK time !)

http://www.gauge0guild.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3129

They would also appear to be in breach of the UK Distance Selling Regulations and you could report them to the local 'Trading Standards Office' maintained by the local authority in the area where they are based.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

A contract must be carried out within the time limits agreed

with the consumer as stated in the terms and conditions. If

no period is set then the statutory time limit is 30 days from

the day after the consumer sent the order to you. If this is not

possible you must advise the consumer before the deadline.

If the goods didn’t arrive in time your consumer is entitled to a

full refund, including the postage and packaging, unless they

agree to a new deadline to give you more time.

EDIT AS I JUST REALISED THIS IS POST 2000 !

Hmm...1700 to 1730 UK time is 0200 here.....generally in the land of dreams then!  But worth a try....although I do like the use of the Trading Standards Office approach...our equivalent here is an arm of the courts and is enforcible with heavy fines for non compliance with orders handed down....that would be nice!

I would try calling on the phone first. It is probably something simple to be resolved. I think these days people are too quick with getting other agencies involved.

I often call the UK from here in Brazil I know the time is not so far out as with you. I also use skype on my phone, by buying credit with them it costs next to nothing calling land lines. It can also be done through the computer, but I find it easier on the phone.

I have great problems with postage here more often than not packets take 30 days or mor to arrive.

I have had 'reports' of long delays with this company. However I can only say that in my experience they have always been extremely prompt, and in addition, they don't usually want to be paid until the goods are delivered. Maybe I have just been lucky, or asked for the right thing, or whatever.

Guest Paulig44

I have had 'reports' of long delays with this company. However I can only say that in my experience they have always been extremely prompt, and in addition, they don't usually want to be paid until the goods are delivered. Maybe I have just been lucky, or asked for the right thing, or whatever.

Absolutely correct.....impressively prompt with the first order which, in turn, prompted me to place an even larger order along with a cheque for the full amount Connell had stated in an email to me the order would cost.  Since then nothing other than the cheque having been processed by the bank three months ago!  Perhaps your location...near Manchester, not too far from the Cheshire address...has an effect of moving him on to complete your orders?  As for asking for the right thing, well all that I asked for, with the exception of the first order, is in his catalogue and he not only quoted me the price but said it would take him around seven days to manufacture the items?????????????????????????????????  The tone of my correspondence with him is getting terser by the minute!!!!!!

On the presumption that he is of 'the older generation' email is almost certainly not the best way of dealing with this - the 7mm hobby is packed with non computer literate artisan traders beavering away in their sheds happily oblivious to the goings on in the outside world.

If it's too difficult for you to telephone from down under, PM me the details and I'll do it for you if you like ? 

Guest Paulig44

On the presumption that he is of 'the older generation' email is almost certainly not the best way of dealing with this - the 7mm hobby is packed with non computer literate artisan traders beavering away in their sheds happily oblivious to the goings on in the outside world.

If it's too difficult for you to telephone from down under, PM me the details and I'll do it for you if you like ? 

Thankyou for your most kind offer and, perhaps, should the light at the end of the tunnel go out...again!...I may well take you up on it!  As for being computer illiterate because of age, well I'm damn near 70 and I can work one, even if it is largely a typewriter wiv a telly!!!  Not so, but you know what I mean!!!  At the moment, though, a somewhat stern email with a received reply flag brought an instant response and so I shall wait and see what happens next...................thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Premier Components has a history of rather variable service. Sometimes they are excellent at other times not so good. The goods are fine it seems to be the order processing that is the problem. I usually try to pick up bits at shows. Obviously not much use to you. I suggest Chris's kind offer might be the best bet. It would be a shame to invoke trading standards or someone like that. It could drive a supplier out of the hobby. One that I personally would miss.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paulig44

Premier Components has a history of rather variable service. Sometimes they are excellent at other times not so good. The goods are fine it seems to be the order processing that is the problem. I usually try to pick up bits at shows. Obviously not much use to you. I suggest Chris's kind offer might be the best bet. It would be a shame to invoke trading standards or someone like that. It could drive a supplier out of the hobby. One that I personally would miss.

Don

I also would miss the quality of the goods...not that, if I ever receive my current order, I would want any more....but this level of 'service' is crap and can not be tolerated.  There are other suppliers and there is always scratch building, so the world doesn't end just because one supplier drops out and, from his claim over the length of time he has been manufacturing, I suspect that such may well not be too far into the future anyway.  With the greatest respect, only the UK puts up with this sort of from the Cosy Corner of 'cottage industry', no-one else does.  Set yourself up, advertise a service and provide it or go to the wall.  There is always...ALWAYS...some-one else to come along and take your place.

Guest Paulig44

Paul, have you spoken to Premier Components about your concerns yet?

No...I was contemplating doing so until I finally received an email from him at the start of this month saying that he had posted my order at the end of April and it must have been 'lost in transit'.  Nothing I have ordered from the UK over the past 30+ years of modelling...and that has been a great deal from a large number of retailers and manufacturers... has ever been 'lost in transit'!  He then went on to say that as this was his fault....thereby making his assertion that he had posted it questionable at best....(does he think I came down with the last shower of rain???)....and so he would now re-manufacture the one set of mainframes I wanted which he had made especially for me...these are for the LNWR Coal Tank, a standard item in his catalogue!!!....add them to the coupling rods and the entire order would then be sent to me. That was on the 3rd of this month (July 2013).  I waited for two weeks and then sent a query asking for a report on progress.  All I now get back is the 'reply/receipt' with no explanation or information.  I am sure you can imagine what might transpire if I did get up in the middle of the night here and ring!!!  This is unacceptable. For many years I have scratch build rods and frames or, very rarely, purchased them from elsewhere  (They are available from other, far more reliable sources!).  The only reason I began this saga was that a new layout, probably the last, is under construction and manufactured rods/frames would save some time.  I had no prior knowledge of Premier Components and simply stumbled across the web site, although I have now read many disparaging comments in, for example, the GOG Gazette.  You have to remember that he banked my cheque for these items on the 12th of April and stated that they would take around a week to manufacture.  It's almost a variation on the three card trick.  I ordered one set of coupling rods and they arrived magically in one week, even though they were a 'special order' which he allegedly had to make up from scratch!  The invoice was included.  The quality was great and, through email communication, he gave me a price for other rods and the mainframes and I sent a cheque to him for £162 which, as I say, he banked on the 12th, of April.  Since then nothing.  Now I realise others have had better experiences but so far he has transgressed the UK Distance Selling Regulations and he may have obtained money by false pretences...alleged 'good intentions' don't count.  I don't really care, I can afford the money but I will not be ripped off by anyone without due recompense and if that means the authorities and if that results in Premier Components disappearing, well, tough.  Perhaps some more positive action from those who have waited and waited and waited before with typical English stoicism would have avoided all this and made a better businessman of him.  The one item I have received is excellent quality...the business/communication side is utter rubbish. My advice to anyone contemplating dealing with this person is never, ever, send any money until you have the goods in your hand and if they do not arrive within a reasonable time, tell him where to shove them and get them from someone else....or do some modelling and make them!

No...I was contemplating doing so until I finally received an email from him at the start of this month saying that he had posted my order at the end of April and it must have been 'lost in transit'.  Nothing I have ordered from the UK over the past 30+ years of modelling...and that has been a great deal from a large number of retailers and manufacturers... has ever been 'lost in transit'!  He then went on to say that as this was his fault....thereby making his assertion that he had posted it questionable at best....(does he think I came down with the last shower of rain???)....and so he would now re-manufacture the one set of mainframes I wanted which he had made especially for me...these are for the LNWR Coal Tank, a standard item in his catalogue!!!....add them to the coupling rods and the entire order would then be sent to me. That was on the 3rd of this month (July 2013).  I waited for two weeks and then sent a query asking for a report on progress.  All I now get back is the 'reply/receipt' with no explanation or information.  I am sure you can imagine what might transpire if I did get up in the middle of the night here and ring!!!  This is unacceptable. For many years I have scratch build rods and frames or, very rarely, purchased them from elsewhere  (They are available from other, far more reliable sources!).  The only reason I began this saga was that a new layout, probably the last, is under construction and manufactured rods/frames would save some time.  I had no prior knowledge of Premier Components and simply stumbled across the web site, although I have now read many disparaging comments in, for example, the GOG Gazette.  You have to remember that he banked my cheque for these items on the 12th of April and stated that they would take around a week to manufacture.  It's almost a variation on the three card trick.  I ordered one set of coupling rods and they arrived magically in one week, even though they were a 'special order' which he allegedly had to make up from scratch!  The invoice was included.  The quality was great and, through email communication, he gave me a price for other rods and the mainframes and I sent a cheque to him for £162 which, as I say, he banked on the 12th, of April.  Since then nothing.  Now I realise others have had better experiences but so far he has transgressed the UK Distance Selling Regulations and he may have obtained money by false pretences...alleged 'good intentions' don't count.  I don't really care, I can afford the money but I will not be ripped off by anyone without due recompense and if that means the authorities and if that results in Premier Components disappearing, well, tough.  Perhaps some more positive action from those who have waited and waited and waited before with typical English stoicism would have avoided all this and made a better businessman of him.  The one item I have received is excellent quality...the business/communication side is utter rubbish. My advice to anyone contemplating dealing with this person is never, ever, send any money until you have the goods in your hand and if they do not arrive within a reasonable time, tell him where to shove them and get them from someone else....or do some modelling and make them!

You have been extremely lucky having nothing lost in the post. I am in business  (not model railway) in the UK and also in work in the voluntary sector. I can assure you that it is far from unusual to have packets go astray in the post. So maybe the benefit of the doubt for the lost in transit.

At the moment, though, a somewhat stern email with a received reply flag brought an instant response and so I shall wait and see what happens next...................thanks again.

No...I was contemplating doing so until I finally received an email from him at the start of this month saying that he had posted my order at the end of April and it must have been 'lost in transit'.

As there seems to be some difference here I think this is best locked for the time being to save the op from prejudicing his case should he decide to take it further by legal means.  Whilst it is  useful to others to know that problems may exist with suppliers this is not a soapbox and perhaps it is time the op sought proper advice from those that can help professionally in his own country.

Post 1 says there's been email responses, Post 13 states there were replies around the time of the start of this topic where repeated assertions were being made that there weren't any. Hmmm..

Anyway, the OP sent a particularly nasty email to me about the topic being closed so if he adopted similar tones with the supplier at any point it's not surprising he's not getting responses; he's now deleted.

Archived