Checking my homework - starting with a sprog...

Tom J

...as all the best families do!

It is a sign, I guess, of my advancing years (I hit 30 last year!) that I am no longer picking up new technology like I used to, and my four year old son is getting better at using my iPad than I am!

I've been doing some reading up and just want to check I have understood things correctly before I spend any money.

I already have a spare netbook PC, wireless routers and several iOS devices.

For the time being I only need to control one or two N gauge locos at a time, on an oval of about 12' x 2'.

Can I just buy a SPROG 3, download JMRI and WiThrottle (paid for), plug in some decoders and start driving trains?

Grateful for your help, folks!

• RMweb Gold

Tom

Yes you can. I should have mentioned that option to you.

You can drive trains using the mouse with on screen drop down menus etc.

Its not as easy as a proper physical throttle.

If you go for ipods etc then you can drive them via wifi.

Its probably a good way to go to start with to save buying all the DCC equipment but it will have its limitations if the wifi drops out of the ipods end up with a flat battery.. Also power output is a bit more limited but if I recall they have upped the current level in the newer Sprog.

I htink that there are a few more limitations but cant recall them at the moment.

Just a warning that you cant plug a Sprog into a DCC command/ base station as it is in effect its own one.

Ian

My wifi at home is rock solid - I have Apple Airports throughout the house. The layout will also have an RJ45 socket in the wall!

At that, we have at least four iOS devices between my wife and me, so something will always be to hand.

In time I will undoubtedly end up with a 'proper' base station etc, but since budgetary constraints not only preclude this but also the expansion of the layout, it could be a while yet. My wife is still on maternity leave and is our sole breadwinner so I have to keep a handle on costs!

At that, if the 2.5a supply from the SPROG 3 can cope with the voltage drop of an oval a bit smaller than your layout, and ideally two of them, and power a couple of trains, that might well last us a year! The SPROG looks like a very handy tool as a programmer for the longer term, in any event.

I still haven't quite understood how you do 'static' things like turnouts and the feedback you have from your microswitches, but so long as I incorporate passive provision into the layout build, that can wait for now. Chipping the stock we have will take time and money first!

Unless you **really** need the 2.5A,  I would get the Sprog II. 

For N gauge, if a loco is drawing 200mA, its motor is about to go up in smoke.  100mA is a more typical maximum.   

For what you've described, the Sprog II would be the better choice in my opinion, more than adequate for half a dozen locos moving at once.  

- Nigel   (occasional beta tester of Sprog devices )

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the Sprog II is the best way to start. As you say it can be used just for programming later on when you move to another DCC system for control.

Go for just installing decoders and driving trains for now then worry about stationary decoders for turnouts. 

I did this learning in stages. The stationary decoders came much later on.

Ian

Is the only difference between the SPROG IIv3 and SPROG 3 the power output, then? I was assuming there were other differences/improvements.

At the current consumption figures quoted, even for a possible small 4mm scale shunting plank, 1a ought to be enough. I was remembering the days when you allowed an amp per loco!

Is the only difference between the SPROG IIv3 and SPROG 3 the power output, then? I was assuming there were other differences/improvements.

Yes, mainly the power output. The SPROG 3 can also handle a slightly higher input voltage but I wouldn't go above 15V myself.

At the current consumption figures quoted, even for a possible small 4mm scale shunting plank, 1a ought to be enough. I was remembering the days when you allowed an amp per loco!

If you outgrow the SPROG II then it still very usefull as a programmer, or you can add a booster.

Andrew

Archived