Athearn SD40E

Just looking at the M.J site and it seems ATHEARN are re-running the SD50 loco in their RTR range. They are also doing a NS unit in the new livery and adding a air-con unit on top of the cab so bringing it out as a SD40E. By the photo it looks good and the numbers are right 6303, 6307 and 6309.

It could have something to do with them finding out I've all but finished my re-paint :triniti:

Well, at least they have it pretty much correct. Athearn are well known for questionable livery choices (F59PHI in GO Transit livery to represent an MP40 anyone?). 

My undec SD50 shells (N scale) are waiting for me to get around to painting them black to make SD40Es. I intend to have examples of as many NS SD40-2 equivalents as possible - so far NS SD40-2, ex-CR SD40, ex-CR SD45-2. Conrail converted the SD40s to -2 spec before NS got them, while NS converted the 6 SD45-2s to SD40-2 spec a few years ago.

Adrian

Well, at least they have it pretty much correct. Athearn are well known for questionable livery choices (F59PHI in GO Transit livery to represent an MP40 anyone?). 

Whilst the purist side of me raises an eyebrow, I think their F59 foobies are a better thing than producing some nice passenger cars that nobody can run as there are no suitable loco's you can buy to pull them...I know that's not neccesarily the case with GO as they had other loco's you could use, but it is the case for many modern commuter agencies using MP36/40 loco's - at least until the proper model is available...

Just looking at the M.J site and it seems ATHEARN are re-running the SD50 loco in their RTR range. They are also doing a NS unit in the new livery and adding a air-con unit on top of the cab so bringing it out as a SD40E. By the photo it looks good and the numbers are right 6303, 6307 and 6309.

It could have something to do with them finding out I've all but finished my re-paint :triniti:

Yeah, I've been hunting for an SD50 for a while to do one of these, at least they've not announced NS GP38-3s.

TLT have their MP36 models out in New Mexico and Metrolink paint.

And will no doubt get to the others. :)

My point is that folk have been able to happily run New Mexico trains for the last 4 or 5 years before the correct one appeared, rather than either not buying coaches that can't be used, or buying them and storing them...

And will no doubt get to the others. :)

My point is that folk have been able to happily run New Mexico trains for the last 4 or 5 years before the correct one appeared, rather than either not buying coaches that can't be used, or buying them and storing them...

And in N, Kato have done the MP36 in a couple of schemes. But an F59PHI doesn't even look like an MP36/40 except that it has a sreamlined nose. It is like taking an LNER or LMS 4-6-0, painting it as a GWR loco, and calling it a Castle. I guess it is a matter of how far you want to go to be able to run trains.

In the GO Transit case, the livery details (logo, mainly) on the coaches isn't current, so an MP40 isn't even an appropriate loco for them. I will concede that there han't been an appropriate GO Transit RTR loco (in N) since the ancient LifeLike F40PH (which has detail issues). The Atlas GP40 needs either an ACPU or an APU (converted FP7 or F7B) to be used with the Bombardier coaches, so shouldn't be used stand alone.

Athearn is quite well known for not worrying overly about prototype fidelity when choosing liveries, but they are by no means the worst.

Adrian

So long as you know it's a stand-in, accept it's a stand-in, and treat it as a stand-in I have no problem...looking at trains sat in their boxes and wishing you had something different is definately not what the hobby is all about in my book! ;)

Archived