Correct bogies for Bachmann mk1 sleeper coaches.

I've been reading the reviews for the new Bachmann mk1 sleeper coaches and I've read that they are running on incorrect bogies. They appear to be on B4 bogies and should be on B5's. Does anybody do a B5 bogie kit that could be made and fitted to these coaches?

I've also read somewhere that the Bachmann post office sorting vans suffer the same issue? I've already got some of these so will they need converted also?

Cheers.

Regarding the Sleepers, strictly speaking yes.

There are only two differences (in model form) between the two types: B5 bogies have a sturdier traction rod and a plain face (i.e. no upper flange) to the spring plank below it.

Replica make plastic kit versions of both B4 (RA05) and B5 (RA08) bogies which can be adapted relatively easily to fit Bachmann stock (http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories). The photos of the kits on the link show the subtle differences.

Note that the traction rod should start from the centre of the bogie and then extend towards the centre of the coach. Both Lima and the Replica assembled bogies had the traction rod extending towards the coupling end in error, the Bachmann bogies are correct and the Replica kits can be built correctly as the side frames are different for each side.

The Bachmann sorting van has BR1 bogies which for coaches 80300 to 80318 (i.e. the larger style windows), up to certainly 1988, is correct. Platform 5 books state BR2 bogies but after reading a lengthy thread on the Coaching Stock forum there is no discernable difference (certainly not in OO) between the two types. By 1992 five of these had also changed to B5 bogies so it depends when you are actually modelling.

Don't forget that about 50% of the sleepers had Commonwealth bogies to give you even more variation.

That's great information, thanks flood. So in theory I could have sleepers with a mix of commonwealth bogies and B5 bogies in the same formation?

I think ill leave the sorting vans alone as my period is late 70's early 80's.

So in theory I could have sleepers with a mix of commonwealth bogies and B5 bogies in the same formation?

Absolutely.

Firsts: 2000 - 2063 had B5, 2064 - 2132 had Commonwealth.

Composites: 2400 - 2406, 2408 - 2423, 2427 had B5, 2424 - 2426, 2428 - 2453 had Commonwealth (2407 B4/5).

Seconds: 2500 - 2578 had B5, 2579 - 2691 had Commonwealth.

Either Class: 2800, 2805 - 2809, 2812 - 2818 had B5, 2801 - 2804, 2819 - 2832 had Commonwealth.

From 1980 Platform 5 Coaching Stock Pocket Book.

That's brilliant info, I really appreciate you looking. So basically if I change the bogie type ill just need to renumber the coach to suit with the above info?

Whilst on the subject of transfers, whose would be best to use and what type would I need?

Thanks again.

The coaches did carry a regional prefix in those days. The Western Region allocation was mainly Composites, the Firsts and Seconds were split in partial batches between the Eastern and the Midland.

For transfers I use HMRS press-fix but these can be fiddly to apply. Both Fox Transfers (sheet F4212/5B for sleepers) and Modelmaster make waterslide transfers. The Modelmaster website does not have any information for each sheet at present but I've always found the owner very helpful if you give him a ring.

I've been discussing the roof ducts on the BR Sleeping Cars with three well informed colleagues from BRCS. The initial release of the SLSTP is correct with a full length roof duct, whereas (fingers crossed) the forthcoming SLF should appear with the slightly shorter duct, as seen on a Bachmann pre-production model. If anyone wishes to convert one to, or if Bachmann produce in the future, a SLC (Sleeper Composite), one should use the SLF shorter duct version. It has been discovered that the longer length duct on the SLSTP, was on account of the interior control on the furthest cabin from the attendant's compartment, needed to be located away from the top bunk. One difficulty on converting a SLF model, will be removing half of the yellow stripe and matching the blue. A conversion from SLS to SLE will be easy, with just a change of numbers, etc. 

The more you dig, the more variation you discover, early WR examples in maroon had different end intake fittings, bogies were swapped and i've found at least five livery variations in just blue-grey. These are b/g with block lettering (1965/6 onwards), b/g with Rail Alphabet "Sleeping Car" to the right of the centre door  (1966 on), "Sleeping Car" in later regular position by left-hand door (late 60s on), "Inter-City Sleeper" (with hyphen, 1970s on) and "Inter City Sleeper" (without hyphen, mid-70s on). Many older slogan variants survived until withdrawal, plus many had differing rainstrips. Who said they were all the same? This should keep us all busy for a while ! 

Cheers, Brian.

Ok so I've bought a couple of the Bachmann commonwealth bogies to fit under one of my sleepers and I'm a bit confused. The original B4 bogies have 12mm wheels and the commonwealth bogies have 14mm wheels fitted. Do I need to swap wheel sets or did the commonwealth bogies have larger wheels?

Thanks for that bob. I just got a bit confused when I fitted the commonwealth bogies to one sleeper then coupled it to the B4 fitted coach and noticed the size difference in wheels. It just looked wrong but thanks for clearing that up.

I should be bringing these out in a month all being well.

post-6665-0-42674700-1374351337_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-72600100-1374351340_thumb.jpg

Designed to take the Bachmann B4 Wheels, they will be cast in resin with etched brake gear supplied.

Some people saw a test casting at DEMU a week or so ago.

I will post more info in my section closer to the time when they are ready for release.

Pete

Bob

They are mainly for the Departmental stock (Network Rail Mk2's) I could produce a version with friction dampers if the demand was there.

I will post info about cost when I post on the subject in my area.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  As for demand it's anyone's guess as there are already aftermarket bogies with friction dampers available.  

If I could make one suggestion - the bogie sideplates should be extended in full section right up to the outer end of the headstock,The headstocks butt  onto the inside face of the sideplates. perhaps not that noticeable in 4mm scale and Bachmann in their B4 bogie made the same error.  

Here's a good shot courtesy of Brian Daniels;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5837086896/

and one here, showing the arrangement of the sideplate to headstock joint

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73574431@N06/8619645751/

Archived