Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

McCook's Landing- USMRR in Alabama in 1864

bkempins

I have been an admirer of UK style exhibition layouts for many years. About 9 months ago a few of my hobby friends and I built a 20 feet long, O Scale exhibition layout depicting the USMRR in northern Alabama in 1864. The layout made its public debut at the NMRA National Convention in Atlanta, GA, USA. It was a great success. The layout ran well and received many positive comments. It will be featured in Model Railroader magazine in the future, as well as in a to-be-published book on military railroads. Also, two video production outfits plan to do segments on the layout.

Here is an overview of the layout.

IMG_6264.JPG

Here are some close ups.

PostOffice2.jpg

IMG_6085.JPG

BoatWorkCrew3.jpg

Reflections2.jpg

There is more information about this project at my blog at http://www.usmrr.blogspot.com

We read the poem in grade school.

I would suggest a quick visit to my blogspot site to see more of the layout as I documented the construction there with dozens of photos and explanatory text.  http://www.usmrr.blogspot.com

I haven't yet had a chance to take the set of "finished layout" photos. 

Terminal9.jpg

That is George Stevenson and Herman Haupt on the right side in front of the tracks. The engine shed did get a roof in the finished model. Yes, that is a pretty serious derailment on the left side.

It's a work-in-progress in this photo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear Bernie,

Sounds awfully like many exhibition layouts,
- do a few shows with some class-leading modelling and presentation,

- avoid "over saturation" by respecting and being-selective VS the number of invites it gets

- pull it off the scene before it "gets old" and the rank-n-file crowd get into "oh yah, seen this one before, nothing new to see here"

- rebuild/re-use/recycle into another show layout, with new techniques and skills learnt from the previous one

rinse and repeat... :-)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Dear Bernie,

Sounds awfully like many exhibition layouts,

- do a few shows with some class-leading modelling and presentation,

- avoid "over saturation" by respecting and being-selective VS the number of invites it gets

- pull it off the scene before it "gets old" and the rank-n-file crowd get into "oh yah, seen this one before, nothing new to see here"

- rebuild/re-use/recycle into another show layout, with new techniques and skills learnt from the previous one

rinse and repeat... :-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

So many layout ideas, so little time and space....

Archived