Getting started with scratchbuilding

Hi all,

Much as the title says, I'm considering my first scratch-build and I'm looking for prototype plans/drawings to base my measurements on.

My layout is set in the present day and the model I am hoping to build is a gantry crane on rails like the ones found at wentlooge near Newport for handling containers.

I'm exploring building one myself so that I can look at motorising it given that all commercial ones are out of stock and over £500 on eBay!

Where would you all start when trying to build something like this?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Yes indeed Matt, something I've been contemplating as well.  I'm not a fan of card structures due to their propensity to deteriorate, particularly in an exhibition layout context - I much prefer plastic.  

John

Actually Katier, I would agree that a kit for the gantry crane would be best produced in brass with perhaps white metal castings.  When I say plastic for structures, I'm thinking of buildings.

I took a quick look at eBay - didn't see anything remotely resembling a decent model of what Matt is looking for.

John

As far as "RTR" models, there are none currently produced. 

There have previeously been the Heljan ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-MODEL-CONTAINER-CRANE-OO-/221218059567 ) and the Brawa ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brawa-OO-HO-Motorised-Container-Crane-And-motorised-Transverser-Board-/190870559976 ) however these are well outside my price range even on eBay.

Keep in mind that if this does happen, it will be my first scratch build ever, so whilst going the route of Brass is a nice idea, sticking to cheaper plastic is probably my best option to begin with!

Cheers,

Matt

Archived