New layout 00 gauge - still no name

norseman

Thought I would start a thread on a layout I am currently building. I already have one quite big layout called Northam Central, which is more than 20 ' long, plus fiddle yards at each end. This layout is far too big to put up at home under normal circumstances, so last year I started a project, building a much smaller layout measuring appr 8x2', built on two boards. In addition there will come a fiddle yard angled at 90 degrees from the right board. One of my priorities has been to build a layout I can put up or store away in a few minutes time.

My fictional story is that my layout depicts an outer suburban Northern station around Manchester. Dr. Beeching's axe fell on the old terminus, and most of the land was sold off. However, a new, much smaller station, was built in a corner, where the former goods yard once was. A new station building was built in the early 1980s (still to be built on the layout), and the new station has two platform, plus one run-round-loop. Most of the traffic will be by DMUs, Pacers and Sprinters. But some trains will be loco hauled as well, hence the run-round loop.

The layout is DC, track is code 100 and all points are Peco large radius electrofrog. I will split it up in different sections, so I can hold up trains on the different tracks, but as the layout is intended for solo home use I will only use one controller. So far I have laid all the track, soldered all drop wires, and tested it. Today I started to paint the track and put down ballast.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far. The buildings are not quite finished, but was made some time ago from brick paper, printed on a Laser printer, and glued to thicker card shells.

new_layout_01.jpg

new_layout_02.jpg

new_layout_03.jpg

Archived