Home for a new layout

gismorail

Thought I would ask for advise on the topic of purchasing a timber shed for my new layout, and see what other members for used. I have recently moved to a property with a large enough garden to erect a shed up to the size of 5metres by 8 metres. Now I'm not saying that I would build one as big as this but it does open up all sorts avenues.

I model in 7mm and 4mm so it would mean that both scales could be accommodated in the one shed with the possible chance to extend the 7mm layout into the garden. My previous property I had an excellent 29ft x 9ft brick garage to which I added an timber built add on for the fiddle yard of the 7mm layout which I constructed myself from scratch but I feel that a shed the size of this one would be better purchased custom  made. I have been looking at 'Keops' log cabins which although work out expensive would certainly make a safe and secure home of the layout. I understand that Tony Wright's layout is housed in a bespoke built shed but have to found any information in his articles as to where he purchased it from.

Be aware of the planning regs and permitted development rights.  I think these are the current restrictions:

No outbuilding forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway. 
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5m and maximum overall height of 4m with a dual pitched roof or 3m for any other roof. 
Maximum height 2.5m within 2m of a boundary. 
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms. 
No more than half the area of land around the 'original house' would be covered by additions or other buildings. 
In conservation areas buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission. 
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission. 
The term 'original house' means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). 

Building Regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the 
building is less than 15m2
If it is between 15m2 and 30m2 you will not normally be required to apply for Building Regulations approval providing that the building is either at least 1m from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.
In both cases, Building Regulations do not apply ONLY if the building does not contain any sleeping accommodation. 

I would be inclined not to scrimp on the shed in terms of construction and more importantly insulation so it can be used all year round.

Thanks for that sound advice Jon 1066. I have to apply for planning permission for this shed as I live in ' an area of outstanding natural beauty'. I did actually go and see the planning people at the local council before I purchased the property just to make sure I would not have any problems. They seemed very positive about my plans and said that there might be restrictions on roof and wall colours etc.

I agree with your view as to ' not scrimp' and the insulation is vital. From what I have read the log cabin construction only requires insulation in the roof and floor areas due to the fact that the log walls are sealed with a rubber membrane between the sections. I friend of mine who has had a Keops log cabin in his garden for a number of years testifies that this is correct.

The draft thing about all this is that a bespoke built wooden workshop of this size works out no cheaper that a log cabin once you have to add the cost of materials and labour for lining and insulation.

Archived