Fleischmann/Roco repairs

Hi. I have a roco loco that has a strange fault. It will run OK but every time I stop it will not restart. The pickups are fine, and placing feed wires directly to motor has no effect.

Flicking the flywheel will start her and it runs fine untill it comes to a rest again.

I removed the motor completely and the fault appeared to vanish. replacing the motor back into the model and the fault is back again. Running the motor for a while, does not cause it to heat up.

So I give up. Anyone know of a reliable repair shop in the UK please.  Thanks Ken

I have never used them for loco repair but I would suggest that you contact Gaugemaster as they sell Roco products. 

In relation to the problem itself is the loco a DCC ready type of locomotive, I only ask because I had a Minitrix DCC ready loco and found that the blanking plate pins were slightly too short for the socket and although it would run you had to make sure it was a very tight fit every time you wanted to run it. 

Good luck with fixing your problem. 

Stephen

Stephen. It's not DCC ready. It has been running perfectly until now. Purchased as  used months ago on ebay. The three car set is boxed, as new and so little used no sign of useage on the wheels.

I have checked all the connections and pickup contact to the wheels. No dry joints I can detect.  when it refuses to move off connecting live feed from the controller to the motor directly has no effect. Only if you move the flywheel slightly (which seems to stick slightly) will it run. Then is will run smmothly and quietly from crawl to full speed.

I will call Gaugemaster and talk to them. ( I have to say they did not come up with spares for some coaches I needed. They also failed to give me a call back three times, so I was not too impressed with the service)

This is the model in question.

post-150-0-51321400-1374947082_thumb.jpg

when it refuses to move off connecting live feed from the controller to the motor directly has no effect. Only if you move the flywheel slightly (which seems to stick slightly) will it run.

That description is perfect for a motor coil with a disconnection or break in the wire.

I had a fault like that on a n gauge minitrix dock tank recently. It ran ok until it was stopped, then half the time it would not start again until you spun the armature.

The cause seemed to be a tight wire between the pickup on the chassis and the brush holder on the motor. The wire had been pulling the brush out of alignment and had worn the brush in that position. When I cut the wire as I was rewiring the chassis it moved back enough to misalign the brush, make starting again very dependent on where the motor stopped. I fixed it by re-positioning the brush holder.

So I suggest checking the position of the brush and/or holder, and seeing if adjusting it improves the symptoms. May not be the problem here, but easy to check.

Frank

Hi Guys.  Thank you so much for the replies. Frank was spot on regarding the brush holder. I gently tweaked them with tweezers and everything ran perfectly.

I've always said, you learn something every day.  Regards, Ken

Archived