Retro-Fitting Sprung Buffers

hartleymartin

Hi

With this kit I was trying to regain a bit of confidence, so avoiding much extra on the model

The Slaters screw link couplings are nice. I have used them on a couple of Connoisseur brass wagon kits. Gives a nice good feeling when you manage to assemble them to work.

All the best

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced the rails that I had attached the frame. The original rails were code 125 bullhead section - offcuts from a marcway point. I replaced then with Code 125 flatbottom rail - again a left over I think that it was Micro-Engineering brand. The original bullhead rails were easily knocked off. The flatbottom rails with the foot glued to the frames provides a larger glueing area and hopefully won't be so easily damaged. I coated the head of the rails (which will face the head of the running rails) with CA glue to provide insulation in case of derailment.

At the moment I am also thinking about some changes to the drive train. I intend to replace the 40:1 gearset with a 54:1 gearset and possibly fit a smaller 1824 motor in place of the 1833 so that I can get a flywheel onto it. This would result in about a 20% reduction in torque, but would hopefully result in smoother running. I will have room for a flywheel about 10-12mm in thickness and up to 19-20mm in diameter.

I see that Roxey Mouldings do a 17mm flywheel. However, they don't tell you how thick it is! I imagine that I will still have to go with an 1824 motor. After seeing the hudswell clarke perform with it's flywheel drive, I am convinced that with ordinary DC control that they make all the difference in smoothness. If there is a speck of dust on the track and a momentary loss of power, the locomotive without a flywheel stutters and the whole train's worth of wagons have their buffers bashing together and the couplings snatching in a most unrealistic fashion.

Archived