Ipernity. Any comments?

Lady_Ava_Hay

I think there was a topic on here about the new Flikr layout and the apparent loss of flexibility and even content in the migration. On surfing one of my contacts on Flikr I was advised that they had migrated to Ipernity so I went and had a look.

A useful site that seemed easy to navigate but slightly unfinished. Modest fees ( cheaper than the old Flikr ) and similar in the construction to the old style Flikr.

I don't use Flikr for model railway pics but I do use it quite a lot for other content and I was wondering whether, after the debacle of Photopic, anyone had used this Ipernity for photo collections for non commercial use.

I am aware of the French laws on privacy and I wonder whether this applies to this service. according to the help page, the relevant French law is quoted but yet the data gathered is used by Google Analutics and stored in the US.

Any comments?

Hello David, I was one (of many?) who was dismayed by the 'huge leap forward' that Flickr treated us to a couple of months ago & have made a very modest trial move towards Ipernity (even though I get Flickr for nothing as part of my BTInternet deal).

I've found it quite a pleasant little site & the people who run it appear to be very approachable. Unfortunately for me though, the one flaw (apart from having to pay for it... ;) ), is the absence of a level of organisation above 'Sets' (i.e., the 'Collections' that were/are so useful on Flickr). It has been announced that they will be introduced to Ipernity by 'the end of summer', but until they are (& I've made sure they work properly...), my 13,000+ photos are staying put on Flickr (although I haven't uploaded anything 'public' on there since they made the changes & will instead use it as a data dump until I sort out a new home for them).

Kevin

Quite a few were upset about the Flickr "upgrade", along with about 80% of one group I have been in for several years, I started a parallel Ipernity account with the intention of using that for all new uploads.  It's not quite worked out that way, because friends and family have started viewing accounts and the permissions are already established.  But I am much less active across all online photo hosts following the Flickr episode.  I tend now to use Flickr for private-view hosting of images for use in forum posts etc.  Having the Collections-Sets buggered up for viewing is my major bugbear with Flickr.  I'd invested a lot of time in organising my images.

Ipernity is pretty much Flickr as it was, although it worryingly shows signs of wanting to upgrade the user experience as well.  As long as it can restrain the designers, Ipernity is looking like a good home for anyone that liked Flickr as it was.

Archived