Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Bexham south coast N gauge DCC

shreives

Progress has been made on the 3rd rail it took some time but Iv managed to get the first section into platform one done and I'm going to run the 3rd rail across the point work and into the first siding. The first bit of this has been down also.

post-3608-0-36287500-1385296681_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-82792000-1385297198_thumb.jpg

And one with the cep

post-3608-0-21943000-1385297230_thumb.jpg

Stuart

• Like 7

I'm just catching up on the layout - looking good!

The station canopies are really neat.

What solution did you go for in the end for third rail? I think originally you mentioned just gluing rail to sleepers (?) ... but it looks now like you may have used rail-chairs? And code 40 rail?

Either way, top-notch result!

I also thought your ballasting is particularly neat and realistic, and on that subject I have a question regarding the picture below:

post-3608-0-36287500-1385296681_thumb.jp

There's a few white flecks around in the ballast - is that a deliberate attempt to reproduce the rubbish that gets dropped off platforms and ends up on the track? It certainly looks like that to me - even if it's by happy accident :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 3

Hi Mark, 

I'l answer for Stuart as i've done most of it, The third rail is code 40 and individual chairs, its not quite high enough to reach the shoe gear on the CEP but it looks reasonably ok, more a representation than an actual scale modelling.

I hadn't noticed the white in the ballast till you mentioned it, It is purely accidental, when i build platforms i use a decorators filler to make the top surface and some of the powder has got ingrained into the ballast when it has been glued, all the trackwork has had a mild touch of weathering except the two station roads so this should all disappear when they get a blast with the airbrush, although stuart may wish to keep it clean? 

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Graham,

somehow to me the white flecks should stay, there's always bits of paper and similar blowing around tracks and it really caught my eye as making for an even more realistic picture than average ... but then again it's not my layout or vision ... and we all have different views on the picture we wish to portray ... I know on my own layout there's loads I gloss over in the interest of painting the picture MY way :)

Out of interest, the chairs you used for third rail ... are they from Code 55 track?

I tried chairs once myself and they were too high so I discarded them, but maybe I'd used code 80 and should revisit Code 55.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

The chairs are code 40 ones that are bought individually on a sprue of 10. I purchased some track components from Finetrax and i found them there.

I think you might be right about the leaving the platform roads un weathered, only draw back is the third rail will need it to blend in with the running lines.

Graham.

• Like 1

"I think you might be right about the leaving the platform roads un weathered, only draw back is the third rail will need it to blend in with the running lines."

I wasn't suggesting you don't weather the tracks / third rail ... I would do that ... I'm just saying the bits of white flotsam about the place look really good too. So maybe do the weathering and then flick a few random bits of white around the place again ?? ... Although I bet when you do it deliberately it won't look half as good as when you did it by accident :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the time has come. Bexham is now at home with me but me and graham did finish off some jobs before it came home the canopies have now been painted and fitted ( still needs tiding though ) more 3rd rail has been fitted as well so just all the small details to be added .

But for now a few pictures

post-3608-0-23128200-1386360757_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-87111500-1386360796_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-29956800-1386363425_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-57474900-1386363540_thumb.jpg

Stuart

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year to you all. I thought I would share a few Christmas bits I received a few bits of stock and also some decoders couplings and scenery bits. I will let the photos do the talking though .

First up 5 new PCAs which my brother kindly got me

post-3608-0-90934900-1388850352_thumb.jpg

Next a weathered 47612 which I got from my parents along with a decoder and Dapol couplings

post-3608-0-45303000-1388850376_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-25900900-1388850415_thumb.jpg

Finally some station signs and nse clock for the platform which again my brother kindly got for me.

post-3608-0-23777100-1388850503_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stuart

• Like 4

MODERN CAST STATION SEATS (2) tn_l176.jpg Code: L176 Description: Etched brass kit to produce two modern station seats. Assemble with superglue. Paint with enamels or acrylics. Requires brass wire to complete. Ex-Peter Clark range.
We are now able to supply these seats in ready to use (hand built and painted) format. Available in RED or BLUE; £6 each. Due to the restricted availability of this item please call us on 01383-410032 to order.

These are 00, have a look in N section.

http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/html/home.html

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve hope you had a good one to.

I've not had a lot of time to do any work on the layout lately I was helping my brother run smithdown rd junction at the Orpington show last weekend so that has given me abit of mojo back.

He has also lent me his hexfrog juicer to try out on the points to see if that will improve the running so I need to get the layout out and test that first I will post an update as soon as any progress has been made

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

MODERN CAST STATION SEATS (2) tn_l176.jpg Code: L176 Description: Etched brass kit to produce two modern station seats. Assemble with superglue. Paint with enamels or acrylics. Requires brass wire to complete. Ex-Peter Clark range.

We are now able to supply these seats in ready to use (hand built and painted) format. Available in RED or BLUE; £6 each. Due to the restricted availability of this item please call us on 01383-410032 to order.

These are 00, have a look in N section.

http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/html/home.html

They dont do n scale ones unfortunately.

Ian