If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Greetings

RW James

My name is Rick James. I live in Carson City, Nevada - that would be in the US.

I've been modeling for over 40 years, mostly in HO, and mostly western US railroads spanning from the let 19th century to the early 20th century.

About 15 years ago I built a display layout that my son and I could take to shows - based on Thomas the Tank Engine. It was a big success and enjoyed by all the kids that came to see it.

As my son grew older and his interests went to other things, I dismantled the layout and stored all the parts.

Then in 2005 we travelled to Scotland for the World Pipe Band Championships and I had the opportunity to check out the rail system in the Stirling area. Aboslutely fell in love with British railways.

Then, just 5 months ago I had my first grandchild and decided it was time to build a new layout - once again based on Thomas. But this time, I wanted to do it right. That is follow British railway practices as much as I could. So a fair amount of internet research on the subject has led me here. This forum seems to be a good source of such knowledge.

I don't know how much I can contribute (unless you want to know something about the V&T Railway). But I'll do what I can.

I retired just over two years ago from the Nevada Department of Information Technology - I was a mainframe systems programmer. I'm an amateur musician (guitar and bagpipes).

Thanks in advance for your help.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rick, and welcome to RMweb from another modeller from overseas smile.gif

Sounds interesting to have a Thomas layout that follows prototype operating practices.

There are a couple of other Thomas modellers on here I believe, eg Churchill8Fs blog (although he has decided to go without the faces), here:

http://www.rmweb.co....&showentry=2238

Prototype info can be found in many of the topics of course, eg for signalling you might consider:

http://www.rmweb.co....ts-blunderings/

No doubt some of the US outline modellers in the overseas thread will also appreciate your knowledge:

http://www.rmweb.co....rseas-modelling

Mikkel,

Thanks for the reply - and the links. I will make use of them.

Regarding the faces - it is a problem, and I think the answer lies in the intended audience. My audience will be children and I want them to recognize the characters. But hopefully, my modeling will be good enough that adults will appreciate it as well. It should be noted that the Rev. Awdry's models didn't have faces and that seemed to work well for him.

Hey Rick (so tempted to spell it "hay")wink.gif Welcome to the place to be.

Nothing wrong with prototypical Thomas railway, I wish you luck.

I do have a problem with your words - "musician (guitar and bagpipes)." can you justify the word musician being in the same sentence as Bagpipes?biggrin.gif

Joking of course, I love the sound of the pipes.

Hi Rick,

Welcome aboard and here's wishing you well with your project.

It does sound especially commendable that you wish to build for children - well done, Sir!

I'm sure that you'll find a wealth of information and friendship here on RMWeb, not to mention a certain amount of "banter"!!!!!

Cheers,

John E.

Thank you for all the welcomes. (And smudgeloco - I've been playing the pipes for 35 years now and believe me, I've heard all the jokes, many times over - and most of them are pretty funny, and many are spot on. It is a strange instrument, but it has something unlike anything else that can evoke emotions - both good and bad. I don't play with my band anymore (too physically demanding) but I still play funerals for military, police, and firefighters - done 5 this month already!)

I've been looking around this forum and appreciating the fine work that is being done here. I am greatly inspired.

I did find one thread that has me concerned - regarding the 12 inch radius. My layout design has a minimum 12 inch radius. But before I started I built a test track with a 12 inch radius and ran my Bachmann Thomas and coaches through it several times - especially watching the buffers, and it seemed to do very well. I've already got the benchwork two-thirds done, so I'm kind of committed, unless I tear it all down and start over. But I will test the mainline before I go too much further.

Hi Rich welcome to the forum there are several british outline modelers here in Cincinnati Ohio Area it is addictive mate if you need any help or tips feel free to ask we will lead you astray quite willingly :-))

Martin

Thanks Martin. Actually I would be interested to know where you get your supplies. I've been using Model Railway Imports in Ontario. I like them, but I would love to have a broader selection base.

Archived