Which decals do I need for an early BR scheme?

Hi there. I have 2 J83s that were both LNER painted but I need them as BR circa 1950. I have recently come to a BR layout having spent many years building US outline stuff.

I have painted them black but I need to put the BR logo and some numbers on them. I am lost tryng to pick the correct designs out of the huge range out there in OO. Can anyone please point me to a supplier and tell me what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

David

• 2 weeks later...

There are some good shots of J83's at places like Hawick elsewhere on RMWEB, so I won't go into detail here. Suffice to say that the early emblem, that is used until 1956, would have been applied from approx late 1949 superceeding 'BRITISH RAILWAYS'.

Manufacturers such as HMRS Modelmaster and Fox amongst others do these so are freely available. However if you are only after a small amount and do not wish to purchase a full sheet please PM me, as I have some spare.   

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

I would back what Martin said, and add that Modelmaster also do sets of ready-made numbers for the J83 (I think there are four full sets in the pack, with some extra numerals for making up others) which also include the power classification and smokebox.  The beauty of these is that you do not have to fiddle around with tiny little individual characters (even the power classification comes as a part of the number transfer)

From the info on the website you would need pack G812 Ex-LNER Class J83 (priced £5.25) for the numbers, and G401S 12 pairs small 1948-56 logo (priced £6.25).

It may also be worth looking at the following thread (from post 31) which shows a detailed Hornby J83 on a Bachmann chassis, but in the colour scheme for the era you are looking for:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43527-locos-on-my-workbench/page-2

Hope this is of some help.

Also to say that I have no connection with the company except as a happy customer.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived