Hornby 4-VEP problems

mr surfin bird

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section, the forum has changed remarkably since the last time I've used it. Please redirect me or join this to a related forum post if necessary.

About 10 days ago I purchased a Hornby 4-VEP in NSE livery from E-hattons. The Unit is DCC fitted, despite my layout being analogue, all I could find on the website was DCC fitted units. 
Well the VEP has a few problems, it seems to run fine in one direction, but then it simply refuses to run in the other and stopping and starting is not as smooth as most present day models. 

I don't know whether it's because I'm running a DCC fitted train on an analogue layout or if mechanically its a bit dodgy. I was pretty sure you could run DCC fitted stock on an analogue layout fine.
If it is due to the fact I'm running a DCC train on a DC layout, then does anyone know how to de-activate the DCC chip or remove it?

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section, the forum has changed remarkably since the last time I've used it. Please redirect me or join this to a related forum post if necessary.

About 10 days ago I purchased a Hornby 4-VEP in NSE livery from E-hattons. The Unit is DCC fitted, despite my layout being analogue, all I could find on the website was DCC fitted units. 
Well the VEP has a few problems, it seems to run fine in one direction, but then it simply refuses to run in the other and stopping and starting is not as smooth as most present day models. 

I don't know whether it's because I'm running a DCC fitted train on an analogue layout or if mechanically its a bit dodgy. I was pretty sure you could run DCC fitted stock on an analogue layout fine.
If it is due to the fact I'm running a DCC train on a DC layout, then does anyone know how to de-activate the DCC chip or remove it?

Hi mr surfin bird.

A belated welcome to RMweb.

'Fraid I can't be of much help as I only run analogue, but, you could try wading through this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17158-Hornby-class-423-4-vep/  .

Or, to, maybe, get a better response, try posting your question in the 'Modelling Questions, Help and Tips' or the 'DCC Questions' sub-forums. 

Good luck.

Regards,  Ceptic.

• RMweb Gold

I have had exactly the same problem with my DCC fitted (by myself) whilst running in DC mode on Star Lane. Cant remember what decoder is in it but I think its a Hornby one.

I haven't yet had chance to run it on a DCC layout yet. its not too much of an issue as I can just make sure that I set it up on the layout to run in the direction that it does run OK.

I have a feeling  that its not a DCC issue though.

There is a thread on the 4VEP but I haven't had chance to go though it regarding running issues.

Ian

It may well be a DC issue in the sense that some modern DC controllers put out something that is not pure DC and consists of various truncated waves; some decoders may then interpret some of those waves (at particular frequencies) as legitimate DCC signals or, conversely, as signals the decoder has absolutely no idea of how to treat. I have found Hornby's own decoders are quite poor in this regard.

I found that some decoder fitted locomotives and units on my old layout behaved strangely with a relatively modern Hornby H&M 2000 controller. Switching to an ancient (original) H&M Duette controller produced no such problems because the DC output was much purer.

Even so, I would try a different decoder in that VEP unit to see if it is the decoder or the controller output that is causing the problems. 

Otherwise, simplest solution is to remove the decoder: it is fitted to an 8-pin socket and just unplugs, then fit a blanking plug. If there are no blanking plugs in the packaging, they can be bought in relatively inexpensive packs from Hornby or Bachmann. Hornby's service sheet shows how to remove the body of the motored coach and also the position of the decoder socket.

Archived