Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Hi Julian, a nice bit of woodworking, chocks away. All the best Biggles.

I like the simile  ...  there are those doubters who said it cant be done.  Apparently it isn't possible with the implications of the curves on the curves   ...

...  perhaps it is??

J

These seem to work reasonably well

36163317072_322e5fc0e0_b.jpgsome cant by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

and 

36287879676_578fab5353_b.jpgenough? by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

The problem is, that curved [or even straight points] are bad enough for derailments, without an induced latitudinal curve to provide excuses for wheels to hitch over the track.  The concept, so far, is to produce a flat surface to apply the points to.  This complete, white, surface it then tilted, slightly, with the chocks, leaving the points on a flat, none-the-less, canted surface.

Regards

J

• Like 2

Well, it's all very well making points cant on curves, but that requires placing them along with the rest of the rails.  

35935701140_f6d84c5000_b.jpgoverview by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

I had some awkward size curves to place, so used AnyRail set to Setrack curves and adjusted the length of the curve by altering the angle at the centre. These bits of track were printed full size and Setrack laid on the print.  The Setrack was marked to the same length as shown by the print out and cut to length.  One such bit is a 20.** inch radius, cut to fit and is placed in the centre track, above the specs, on top of the short straight offcut.  There were just under a dozen such bits, cut to fit, including some straight ones.

Testing is done with the 4 trucks pushed round.  The worst was the 6 wheel milk tanker, which, without any form of springs would derail for Christmas.  The point is, that if I can run that lot around freely, then I should have smooth accurate fitting track.

At this stage the trucks ran all round both loops, with a single shove - well there was one time an excessive shove sent the Guard and van onto the tiles, laying in wait below [quite nice to see how the inside of the van is laid out?].

36332121035_2c09a0bdfb_b.jpgchecking straights by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Lastly a couple of coaches are deployed to check for lateral clearance.

35935732230_0d1cef234f_b.jpgspace on curves by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Next will be soldering droppers, as the track is now in a box and the boards neatly camouflaged behind the shower room door.  An expedition is also in progress for the discovery of the whereabouts of the long lamented, disappeared penguin, last seen setting out across the English Channel   ......    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  .....   there has already been some degree of success  ......   

Regards

J

• Like 4

Well, it's all very well making points cant on curves, but that requires placing them along with the rest of the rails.  

35935701140_f6d84c5000_b.jpgoverview by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

I had some awkward size curves to place, so used AnyRail set to Setrack curves and adjusted the length of the curve by altering the angle at the centre. These bits of track were printed full size and Setrack laid on the print.  The Setrack was marked to the same length as shown by the print out and cut to length.  One such bit is a 20.** inch radius, cut to fit and is placed in the centre track, above the specs, on top of the short straight offcut.  There were just under a dozen such bits, cut to fit, including some straight ones.

Testing is done with the 4 trucks pushed round.  The worst was the 6 wheel milk tanker, which, without any form of springs would derail for Christmas.  The point is, that if I can run that lot around freely, then I should have smooth accurate fitting track.

At this stage the trucks ran all round both loops, with a single shove - well there was one time an excessive shove sent the Guard and van onto the tiles, laying in wait below [quite nice to see how the inside of the van is laid out?].

36332121035_2c09a0bdfb_b.jpgchecking straights by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Lastly a couple of coaches are deployed to check for lateral clearance.

35935732230_0d1cef234f_b.jpgspace on curves by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Next will be soldering droppers, as the track is now in a box and the boards neatly camouflaged behind the shower room door.  An expedition is also in progress for the discovery of the whereabouts of the long lamented, disappeared penguin, last seen setting out across the English Channel   ......    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  .....   there has already been some degree of success  ......   

Regards

J

The long lamented penguin, does not attend forums, update , if it is the same penguin, I did have a call from Margate,saying its beached up,recovering from an operation. I have yet to return the call

• 2 weeks later...

Serious question - 

I saw the cable links from one electric power rail to the next one, on a couple of pictures from dt's massive collection on the Dover Front repairs.  It occurred, at the time, that the same type of links might be made between rails on a OO layout.  It strikes me that the rails are much thicker than the current varieties of Bus Wires and may well cause less voltage drop per yard.  Effectively, the rails would be utilised as the Bus Bars and short wires, near the ends of adjacent rails, as {horizontal} Droppers.

Looking at other, none-electric lines, there are lots of examples of wires running across from one rail to the next, many quite sizeable with insulation.

The idea would only work, for distances where the "summed length" of the Droppers was not going to have significant voltage drop - but - that could be offset with a few{!} sections.  The sections could be set to fall, well, into good practice with fault finding etc.

Hhhmmmmm???

J

The long lamented penguin, does not attend forums, update , if it is the same penguin, I did have a call from Margate,saying its beached up,recovering from an operation. I have yet to return the call

A secret meeting with several distant penguins may hold further information on this subject ..........   clandestine pictures have been taken, without the [imposter??] penguin being aware   ..........  and there may yet be a Celtic connection too   ............   .................    must dash - the cupboard under the stairs is to be utilised to develop the film [you gotta be old to know what that stuff is!!]  

Shhh   ...........    back later   ............    :secret:   

J

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile, the Wg Co has been getting nrevous about all these IEDs being let orf around the place.  He decided all his stuff, he's responsible for, is goin' t' need a bit of lookin' after.  What's more - his beer barrel stash, might get damaged too  .....  well that are some really important matters in life, as well as work, ye know!!

He spoke with Sgt Stash, the NCO in charge of Stores about gettin' summat to combat any such threat.  After all, a Stores Sgt should be well aware what's available.  Anyhow, the result shunted into the Yard yesterday   .................................................     shud uv gone to Specsavers!!!   :stinker:    ..................................    One's a kit too, best call for me Dad an' 'ees 2 mates!

37104096091_0119228386_c.jpg

Apparently there's a few drums of paint on the way too  ..........   :O :o

J

• Like 2

Hi Julian, I have still got 4ltrs of Nato Green left from painting the landrover if required, All the Best Adrian.

That's very kind, although an eggcup size might be more appropriate.  However   .................   Sssshhhhh!   ................  this is wartime and deception is all!!!   What is required is an eggcupfull of pure ice white, as in Arctic camouflage.  It must be hoped that the boxes full of Desert sand colour aren't spotted getting loaded on the wagons, by any "foreign" agents   ..........     Ssshhhhh!!!

J

• 3 months later...

I have recently been looking at PL - 15 SPDT twin switches, to Juice the Frog and isolate a line on the approach from the non-selected heel of the points being changed.  This should prevent driving a loco at the heel of points set against it.  It's the black plastic board with two micro switches and a moving actuator between them.  My actuator will be moved by a control rod from the same Servo Bell Crank which drives the Stretcher Bar between the Points.

27514143029_8490a35484_z.jpgPL-15 Switches

Simple enough, particularly as the switch contacts are visible.  Move one way and switch one sets the frog polarity.  The same Frog Wire connects also to the centre contact on the second switch.  The other two contacts on the same second switch go to power the two rails connected [with isolating Fish] to the Frog.  Points get moved by the crank and polarity gets changed by the first DPDT micro switch, the polarity also gets changed at the centre contact on the second DPDT micro switch and onward to feed the approach to one or other Heel of the frog.

Confused?  Sorry about my sad attempt at a written description, how about a picture?  Not as complex as first look, just a Crossover with 2 sets of points back to back.

39291020181_a7f8e4c3cd_c.jpgServo Plans Double

Let us concentrate on the right side of the picture, by the Bus Power Input.  The Servo is, central, at 1 and a single rod drives the long arm of the Bell Crank to no 2, at the end of the rod.  The small arm on the Crank drives the brown control rods to push / pull the points Stretcher back and forward.  The left side is just the same connections on the other set of points of the Crossover.  Quite simple really and 2 point controls from a single servo [and safety, knowing that both points get changed together].   :sungum:   :sungum:

To the Frog, halfway down the longer Crank arm at 2 a small control arm moves the actuator, between the PL-15 DPDT switches - positive connect one way and negative contact moved back the other way, on the first DPDT switch.  The green wire from the centre contact powers the Frog accordingly, so far quite straightforward, one way, frog positive, the other way the frog goes negative.  The green wire also changes polarity at the centre contact on the second DPDT switch.

Now to the heel, the second DPDT changes the feeds at the red circle marked 3 to the rails attached to the heel of the right hand Frog [one of which is also the heel of the other half of the crossover].  These are the light blue and orange wires from the right hand PL-15.  While feeding the correct polarity to the route selected on the points, the DPDT switch also disconnects power from the non-selected route.  No power on the non-selected route means approaching locos will stop before running onto the back end of points selected for the other route.  The left hand end of the picture is a straightforward mirror of the other end.   ..............    YEA!! fantastic!!    ............................      ????

Now the disappointment -  :O  - the wiring will work just fine for a single set of points at a junction - BUT will simply not work for two of them back to back on a Crossover, all because of the 2" of the Stock rail beyond the Straight Closure rail toe!   :threaten:  :swoon:   Should've had that extra glass of wine and left the plan at a single set of points    ..................    now where did that bottle get to.

Happy Christmas all.

J

PS.  Apologies for the DPDT repetition, but I wanted to avoid confusion over micro switch control of power to point switches.    :scratchhead: 

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good moaning all,
Recently arrived, the Bachmann LMR Austerity 2-8-0 Maj Gen McMullen. It was running in the Salisbury Model Centre window, when I picked it up, very smoothly too.

Out of the box

26759747958_d4f2cb558b_z.jpg

I fitted a #17 Kadee to the NEM pocket on the Tender - but the front doesn't have NEM, retaining the old 3 hole fitting Tension Lock, with those inconvenient little posts and insufficient room behind the screw fixing hole for any of the Kadee Draft Boxes.

Inconvenient posts

26759671458_168ee10c25_z.jpg

After some Calliper measuring I lopped the legs of a #20 NEM Kadee and drilled a 2mm hole at 3mm centre from the rear end. The original Bachmann screw was used to fix through the Kadee bar.

Fixed

40631116101_152eb84a4a_z.jpg

It may need some further adjustment to allow easier sideways swing and removal of the magnetic actuator arm, but I'm not in a hurry for that, as it is unlikely to be pushing much anyway. :locomotive:

It's good to see a spring to hold the front bogie down, particularly as the bogie is so lightweight.

40589117722_ae07a77bda_z.jpgSpring over the Bogie

Seems like a very nicely detailed model and certainly looks the part, with [supplied] nameplates to come next.

Kind regards

Julian

• Like 2

I have been thinking  ...  again  ...   must be that time of the year - back so soon!

The plan for the 6 x 4 [ish] train set, involves a couple of curved points [Peco - ST 244 curved T/O], which look quite reasonable on the layout.  More to look at, I would think.

40687815142_e6d35960d4_z.jpg

Loose laid to check lengths and fit, it looks something like this.

36332121035_2c09a0bdfb_z.jpg

There have been a few adverse comments about the curved points, as these are Setrack ones, but they are Peco, which seem to fare better than H ones.  I wondered if splitting the route, to the long Terminal Platform earlier, might solve that problem, so looked at a slightly different idea using SL-80 Single Slip, to leave / rejoin the loops, at the top station.  I thought about a Double Slip, but there seem to ba as many adverse comments about them as the curved points.  The Single Slip seems to provide a route from the Terminal acros to the inner line and the Slip will take traffic from the outer line to straight on, or the Terminal Platform.  From the Goods Shed to the outer line is slightly more complicated, with a move to cross the outer line and then reverse back via the Slip onto the outer line.

38920635800_c9faff6fee_z.jpg

A few other things are easier with the second plan, such as Cant on the curves at the right hand end, although I have constructed a Canted board to fit the curved points, which I could use. I would appreciate thoughts from those more experienced then me [which includes everyone reading this] on whether the curved points are really all that bad, and whether the Single Slip might also be a bit of a problem, plus any operating matters I may have / probably missed.

Kind regards to all.

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

Hi,

I have a question, raised by a comment in RMWeb on the topic of removing springs from OO points.  The main jist was that Tortoises and Cobalts were better without the Peco spring interfering with the "intended" smooth action.  There was a certain amount of disagreement discussion around whether the springs should be left to ensure better location at each end of the throws??  I was looking because I am proposing to use Servos, which, if the very simple geomety is right, will lock the points at each end of the throw, without Servo buzz.  However, I also intend including some very light spring pressure to that locking action, which would be jerked by the Peco spring and look rather nasty [to my mind]. 

NB.  The springs on this test have more throw than will be used on the build, as this is a test to see if one set of points on the Crossover can be moved, then followed by the other set of points.  It can, apparently.  :sungum:

32987903895_f66e868c70_z.jpgRight first then left first

Whilst looking, one comment said Quote "Except if you are trying to model a layout with EP points, in which case a snap action is prototypical." Unquote.

I have heard of EM, but googling EP Points came up blank.  Does anyone know what EP Points are and why they have a snap action?

Kind regards

Julian

• RMweb Gold

EP - electro pneumatic, sometimes referred to as air points: they go with a bang! Rather than the 5 or so seconds for a set of motor points, air points take about 0.5 sec to move. Google ‘Westinghouse EP points’ gets some better hits. TheSignalEngineer posted this photo showing EP points at New St.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119885-electro-pneumatic-point-control/?p=2615183

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
  • Like 1

EP - electro pneumatic, sometimes referred to as air points: they go with a bang! Rather than the 5 or so seconds for a set of motor points, air points take about 0.5 sec to move. Google ‘Westinghouse EP points’ gets some better hits. TheSignalEngineer posted this photo showing EP points at New St.

Paul.

Wow! Fantastic!  I will have a good look for those.  Westinghouse had so many, unsung, innovations.  A visit to their Chippenham works was a real eye-opener.  Thank you for the head-up, I will definitely look that up.

Kind regards

Julian

• Like 1

And I’ve now edited the post to include the link I meant to add earlier!

Thank you for the link, Paul.  Like the man said, in my original question, these EP Points would certainly have scooted across and probably made a noise.  Having said that, I'm not sure that they would be quite as quick and noisy as Peco solenoids.  The link shows them to be quite widespread, yet not many people seemed to be aware of them.  I must ask my neighbour if there are any remnants still at Salisbury, although the pictures in the link seem to show the Salisbury system being removed.  It is interesting too, that some of the mechanism is housed in boxes similar to modern electric powered point motors.  More problems options for modellers, there then.  :scratchhead:

Kind regards

Julian

PS.  I'm still sticking with Servos and probably running the control rods from under Peco dummy point motor covers.  {It occurs to me that I can then put any speed on the Servo and lie about claim either system.}

• Like 1