GWR M10 and M11 in 1920s liveries

Having built the later Ocean Mail brake I'm now doing an M11 to get the basics right and then try and tackle an Ocean Mail M10 with the rather more complicated inset doors.

What I've not found are any images of the M10 or M11 in the 1920s GWR livery. I can work most of it out from the standard patterns of livery and layout but it would be nice to confirm things like the crest locations if such a photo exists - and also that they ever ended up in that colour!

I'd prefer to do that than the later GWR colours as the sides for these will be vinyl so any relief will be implied by the panelling. If they were not painted that way it's not a disaster, but I have to go etch some sides which takes a couple of weeks longer than pressing a few buttons on the cutting machine.

Alan

So I added the underframe and stuck some ancient Cav'n'dish bogies on it to check

I do need to etch some 70ft tie bars as its something I've not needed before. So this one has magically acquired truss rods. Not too visible in N but one I'll fix eventually. The vac cyls are also a bit undersize for the period, but I may just print them into the floor for the M10.

post-6740-0-83372200-1377014044_thumb.jpg

Underframe painted and running. In the end I kept the ancient Cav'n'dish bogies (from the 1970s probably!) but fitted them with NEM pockets.

Now preparing a set of etched M11 sides based upon BR era photographs (missing panelling etc) as I fancy a BR era one too.

Archived