Somewhere very small in Devon

David41283

A trip to my local second hand model-shop today has resulted in a new item of rolling stock, this Hornby bubble car. Before it gets detailed and painted green, I thought I'd have a go at a few run-down backwater in the early 80's pictures...

post-16405-0-06165300-1378509643_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-42071600-1378509646_thumb.jpg

There is an orchard springing up behind the station at the moment!

post-16405-0-60945600-1378509649_thumb.jpg

The rear destination blind on the unit is currently 'Bridport' - that would be an epic DMU ride - rural Devon to Bridport - especially if you had the front seats and a 'sport' of a driver who didn't spoil it by pulling all the blinds down!

I am thinking of doing a 122, just for a bit of fun. I've enjoyed a DMU project before, but it would be easier to leave it as a 121! Anyway it will be green and improved soon!

I've spent the evening painting pigs and cows (a sentence you rarely use!) to fill a couple of the fields. With two young boys I have discovered people and animals add huge amounts to their interest levels!

Cheers

David

A further update, after a lot of small items have been added...

post-16405-0-87900300-1378838688.jpg

As alluded to previously, some more Western Region stock is appearing on the layout, I've just finished repainting, weathering and kadeeing this old Mainline Toad

post-16405-0-70661200-1378838689.jpg

Goods yard clutter is building up, I'm really pleased with the pallets.

post-16405-0-77051200-1378838690.jpg

There is even a problem in rural Devon with discarded tyres and rusty bikes!

post-16405-0-59430500-1378838691.jpg

Station staff out-numbering paying customers. Having posted my lit buffers, I really need to get round to installing them! The platform is halfway through being weathered to tone down the shiny Peco plastic.

post-16405-0-26572700-1378838692.jpg

Bere Newton is becoming a rural idyll - the cows in the field, and pigs in the 'orchard'. I have added Ratio SR concrete lamp posts, but scratch built my own lights for them, as all the ones on the 'withered arm' appear nothing like the ones supplied by Ratio.

post-16405-0-80620000-1378838692.jpg

Another newly sprayed, weathered etc item of Western Region stock - an old Airfix coach is positioned by my equally grubby 03.

post-16405-0-63167700-1378838693.jpg

post-16405-0-21138500-1378838694.jpg

An interloper from the Midland region shunts the yard.

post-16405-0-69893400-1378838695.jpg

The whole thing - all 170cm (5ft 7in) of it! A bit overcrowded as when playing trains with my son we have plenty of engines out! The stock shows just how small the layout really is. Two of the bigger jobs which need doing are a shaped fascia piece to hide the unpainted edge of the bridge and landscape. I also need to add a second light (or a longer tube!) inside the pelmet as the poor quality of my photos is largely due to the shadows cast at each end! Nothing to do with my lack of photography skill at all!

I'm really enjoying developing this, thanks for all the positive comments and 'likes'

David

I see some ground signals have appeared!  Errr....excuse me asking, but you do know they're the wrong type for the LSWR/SR??? :-)

From what can deduced from your layout plan and previous postings, I would suggest that the one on the right (by the point leading into the yard) is unnecessary. The other one might well have been 'upgraded' to a 'yellow' one by the SR, in which case it would of be miniature semaphore arm type.

Hi David,

What a lovely layout, & may I congratulate you on the name choice.

I've been playing with a few combinations for my latest 'shed bound' OO layout.

Finally, I decided on Cleave Barton, but it's been fun playing with the various combinations.

I've watched the progress of this little beauty since your first post, & it's coming together nicely.

Keep up the good work, 

Rob

I see some ground signals have appeared! Errr....excuse me asking, but you do know they're the wrong type for the LSWR/SR??? :-)

From what can deduced from your layout plan and previous postings, I would suggest that the one on the right (by the point leading into the yard) is unnecessary. The other one might well have been 'upgraded' to a 'yellow' one by the SR, in which case it would of be miniature semaphore arm type.

I have very little idea about ground signals! They are simply a couple of Ratio ones which I found and quickly painted last night. I intend to change the main signal soon anyway. I am torn between waiting for the Dapol SR motorised ones when they eventually come out or going for a purpose built kit one, which I guess would have shunting signals for the main platform and bay on the arms of the signal. The one nearest the camera in the picture is placed to control access from the headshunt. I guess I need to consult SEMG again!

I don't consider myself particularly pedantic, but I guess having taken time to paint things to look LSWRish I should get things right - but not forgetting one of the aims of this layout as stated in post #1 is to use up all the bits I've purchased over the last couple of years as I don't have endless storage space or financial resources.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is a really nice layout and testament to what can be fitted into a small space. Love the shot through the bridge.

Small layouts are my thing too, you can certainly move along at a good pace without any one task taking too much time.

I will follow with interest.

All the best,

James

In the absence of any detailed info about what the "off scene" track layout is assumed to be it is difficult to be specific, but at face value I see no need for there to be any shunt disc under the main platform starter. Is the bay going to be a passenger bay or just for goods? If the former then my preceding comment would apply again, if the latter then a ground disc alone would suffice, tho' as that would be at the trap point (not needed for a passenger line) at the exit from the bay siding then by the look of it from your pix we could assume that to be out of sight beyond the bridge.

If you come back to SEMG then may see you there <g>, but I suspect that you can get your answers here just as easily......

If I get in trouble from my IT department at work for spending this afternoon googling various signal box diagrams from the West Country, then this forum has a lot to answer for!

My imagined 'off scene' track plan is simply that the loop joins back up with the platform road a few hundred yards after the bridge - hence I can use the fiddle yard to run round when necessary!

Beginning with the platforms - I want both the bay and main platform to be signalled for passenger trains to leave. Looking at photos and signal box diagrams, both Bude and Ilfracombe have the same arrangement. A 'T' shaped lattice post at, or just beyond, the end of the platform with a starter for each platform mounted on the arms of the 'T'. In both cases there are then standard SR shunting signals lower down the post or at ground/platform level presumably corresponding with each signal above. The Bude pages on the SEMG website (I'm not a member, but it's a great resource) have both photos and the Signal Box Diagram showing this arrangement.

On all the other signal box diagrams I've looked at in the last 24 hours there seem to be shunting signals everywhere - controlling both ends of run-round loops for instance. No matter how small the station.

I still think I need a shunting signal to control a loco moving out of the headshunt either up the loop or back onto the main line. This seems to be what is used elsewhere in similar locations.

Sticking to my principles of using things from my spares box, it doesn't seem too much of a leap to take a modelling knife to the disc to create the SR semi-circular ground signals!

As the yard is controlled by hand-levers I assume that this would be controlled by the shunter with hand-signals so no actual signals would be required.

Can someone explain the purpose of the yellow/black shunting signals (although I expect it's not a quick explanation!) I have read that they can be passed at stop when shunting? If this is the case then why have them at all?

I have to admit I am really tempted to install DCC controlled colour lights - but as Plymouth was only changed over in 1960, and most of Cornwall still hasn't been done, justifying colour light signals in my sleepy backwater at an earlier point is proving difficult!! Huge and catastrophic signal box fire anyone? 

With respect, I suspect that you have fallen into the trap of looking at examples of ex-LSWR termini without appreciating the specific requirements of the individual locations. The existence of shunt signals at the starting signals at Ilfracombe and Bude are requirements to meet circumstances which do not apply to your imagined layout.

IMHO the visible part of your layout requires only 3 signals:-

1.  A starting signal for the bay.

2   A starting signal for the main platform

3.  A ground signal for the exit from the headshunt onto the main running line. After some further thought, I have decided that criteria for provision of a 'yellow' disc probably do not exist in your layout (when taking into account the off-scene part), so i would suggest that you stick with the usual SR Westinghouse 'half-disc'.

As regards the starting signals, there were indeed locations where these were provided by means of a 2-doll bracket, but equally there were locations where there were two separate signal posts.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the starting signal for the main platform will have to be placed in a location such that any train stood at it does not foul the exit from the headshunt onto the main line. IMHO therefore if you went down the 2-doll bracket route, then the available space to stand a train behind it in the bay would be very short. Also, as the bay is perceived to join the main line some distance beyond the bridge, then the fouling point with the main line is much further towards the off-scene part. I would suggest therefore that it would be more appropriate in this case to go down the route of having two separate signals. The starter for the bay could be right up by the bridge, perhaps on the right-hand ('wrong') side of the line, if you don't mind carving a small recess in your embankment!

A yellow/black disc would be placed ahead of a set of points and only applies to one route from them, i.e. the signal may be passed at danger for one route but not for the other.

One comment I would make on the signalling is that the point off the loop into the yard would in all likelihood be operated from the signal box, with only the points within the yard being operated by hand levers. Otherwise, it's looking like a fantastic layout, keep up the good work :)

Oh, and don't be afraid to run SR stock with WR locos, or vice versa. There is plenty of prototype examples for this in Devon and Cornwall.

"A yellow/black disc would be placed ahead of a set of points...."

With respect, no, it would be placed in rear of the points.

"One comment I would make on the signalling is that the point off the loop into the yard would in all likelihood be operated from the signal box...."

I know there was an instance of this at Sidmouth, yet it also had anohter connection that was hand-worked on the ground. If worked from the box then one would also have to consider what - if any - additional shunt signals would be needed. Mind you, Sidmouth had none!

A couple of the jobs I needed to do have been completed.

In the last post, I identified that the existing lighting wasn't satisfactory, a single florescent tube, leaving large areas of shadow at each end. As an experiment I brought a 3m roll of LED strip lighting from eBay. This cost less than £12 including the transformer and postage. This was self adhesive, so I stuck two rows inside the pelmet and removed the old kitchen-cabinet strip light. Apparently it's marketed for creating fancy lighting effects around TV's under stairs etc.

It looks like this (sorry about the backdrop of our spare room!)

post-16405-0-84743800-1379201069_thumb.jpg

The effect is staggeringly good, this is the layout in a pitch-dark room a few minutes ago.

post-16405-0-39496400-1379201043_thumb.jpg

This means that from now on my pictures should be much clearer and less shadowy!

I have also now fitted my home made LED-lit buffers, based on the one at Bude as mentioned in previous posts. Although they are clearly not scale modelling, my sons love them, and I think they look the part. I couldn't get the tails of the LED to make consistent contact with the track as per my original plan, so I ended up soldering a connection with short lengths of decoder wire. I have had to hide this with long grass, which actually gives a pleasing effect.

Here is the overall view of the station with the buffers in situ and lit.

post-16405-0-82573000-1379201066_thumb.jpg

And a couple of cruel close-ups

post-16405-0-72519000-1379201054_thumb.jpg

Clearly the one nearer the camera is a much neater job, unfortunately the one on the platform road has a large blob of solder and the resistor in an unfortunately visible position, which has probably been exaggerated rather than hidden by the drybrushed weathering.

post-16405-0-28237500-1379201059_thumb.jpg

The last eBay arrival this week was a box of 50 "large grass tufts" from a war-games supplier, again these cost less than £7. Combined with the various flocks, static grasses and other foliage I am really pleased with these. They can be seen around the buffers above and they've also sprung up here:

post-16405-0-75785500-1379201050_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-16405-0-20065600-1379201063_thumb.jpg

and here:

post-16405-0-12400900-1379201047_thumb.jpg

Time to go to sleep....

David

DCC Signals,

Thanks for all the comments re signals.

I mentioned in previous posts my plan for working signals and I have been giving this much thought. My initial plan was to wait for the forthcoming Dapol LSWR Lattice Signals or SR Rail Signals, but even if I were to wait for them to be released, with the necessary DCC decoder you're looking at £25 each for a signal and £30 for the decoder which isn't a cheap option. Servos would be an alternative, but again I'd need to buy various bits of electrical kit, servos, decoder etc. Both of these routes go against my philosophy set out in post no1 of re-using as much as possible, and buying less!

I then looked at colour lights, apparently much easier to do with DCC, but again would require more investment and significantly wouldn't be in keeping with a minor Devon branch line.

It struck me that I had a couple of left over SEEP PM1 point motors in a drawer and there was one remaining space on my LS150 accessory decoder already fitted to the layout. This will mean that I can change the signal by selecting accessory 6, then using 1 or 2 on the Powercab handset to throw the signal either way. This has given the result I want - everything, points, locos and signals all controlled from the single handset.

I have been searching t'internet looking for examples of solenoid operated semaphore signals, but haven't really found much so I've had a go myself...

post-16405-0-27040100-1379715773.jpg

Here is my simple test plank. An off-cut of 9mm ply. This is the Ratio SR Rail built signal, with just the basic bits assembled and undercoated.

post-16405-0-92628300-1379715773.jpg

I have made up the mechanism of the signal, but omitted the spring. This is attached to my spare PM1 with a length of 1mm piano wire.

post-16405-0-80240700-1379715774.jpg

Apply some current, signal goes up. Current the other way and it goes down, there appears to be enough friction between the various parts that it happily stays up, until the command to go back down again. Clearly it has none of the fancy latch, move, bounce that some of the advanced motors have, but it is enough for me and my kids!

post-16405-0-35008100-1379715775.jpg

I have built a kink into the piano wire to try and absorb some of the 'thump' of the point motor, this seems to work to a degree.

I am sure others have done similar, but here is my DCC signal for the princely outlay of £9.90 for the Ratio signal kit. The signal needs finishing and the whole lot transplanting into the layout, where it probably won't work despite this successful test!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Sorry to be nosey, but I noticed some nice OO stock on ebay with a very familiar station building as a backdrop.

You're not giving up on this are you?

Regards,

James

Hi there,

Sorry to be nosey, but I noticed some nice OO stock on ebay with a very familiar station building as a backdrop.

You're not giving up on this are you?

Regards,

James

Hi - I'd like to think I'm not giving up, but that I've discovered my passion for model railways is mainly for the design, building and 'making it work' part - hence now this is 90% there I am itching to build another one!

I am selling up to go into N gauge - I had intended this one to be portable, but they always seem to end up bigger and heavier than you expect once built!

The layout is also on there too.

I've just discovered this - very late in the day. I read through the tread from your initial idea in August to you selling the completed layout this month.  An impressive turn of speed and an impressive layout.

I hadn't come across LED lights on a strip before.  They look ideal for my current project so I'm off to look for some for myself late.

The trackplan reminded my of Iain Rice's plan "Elan" in his "Finescale for Small Spaces " book. Were you influnced by that or did you arrive at the same idea independently?

I'll look out for your next creation with interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hi - I'd like to think I'm not giving up, but that I've discovered my passion for model railways is mainly for the design, building and 'making it work' part - hence now this is 90% there I am itching to build another one!

I am selling up to go into N gauge - I had intended this one to be portable, but they always seem to end up bigger and heavier than you expect once built!

The layout is also on there too.

Hi,

I know what you mean on the bigger and bigger as you go phenomenon!

All the best for the sale - and your journey into N gauge.

I'm keeping an eye on the weathered class 22 - but I think it will be out of my price range!

Regards,

James

I've just discovered this - very late in the day. I read through the tread from your initial idea in August to you selling the completed layout this month.  An impressive turn of speed and an impressive layout.

I hadn't come across LED lights on a strip before.  They look ideal for my current project so I'm off to look for some for myself late.

The trackplan reminded my of Iain Rice's plan "Elan" in his "Finescale for Small Spaces " book. Were you influnced by that or did you arrive at the same idea independently?

I'll look out for your next creation with interest.

I think it being so small has made it look speedy - as I have mentioned numerous times before, I have a busy job and a young family so this has been my relaxation activity of an evening. It's amazing how quickly it develops with an hour or so's work most evenings once everyone else is in bed! Having a really small layout is motivating in this respect, you see the results of progress really quickly and you don't feel that there's ever masses to do.

The LED strip is great, although I may opt for 'warm white' in future, as this 'clear white' is a bit harsh. Having said that a 3m strip including the mains transformer for £12 is great value.

The track plan is entirely of my own design, after numerous sketches on bits of paper trying to work out the best way to make everything fit into the space. Once I had the final design I printed out the Peco templates, and made a paper mock up of the entire layout. Once I was happy with this, I actually glued this to the board in order to drill holes in the right place for dropper wires and point motors etc.

Thanks for the comments as ever. Now looking forward to N gauge and an even smaller layout!

• RMweb Gold

The track plan is entirely of my own design, after numerous sketches on bits of paper trying to work out the best way to make everything fit into the space. Once I had the final design I printed out the Peco templates, and made a paper mock up of the entire layout. Once I was happy with this....

like to congratulate you on the trackplan as the original image looked very cramped but the final result doesn't :)

there are only so many ways you can arrange a small amount of points and track in a small space, so comparisons are bound to be drawn - the layout reminded me a little of Adrian Walby's  EM gauge  'Lochinver' but in a totally different scenic setting.

- with the addition of maybe 6 or so inches you could get all the points outwith the fiddle yard and then use a cassette or traverser system to make operation easier.

Your scenery and the scenic breaks are superb applied as they allow both the goods yard and station to look expansive and the suggestion of a long runround for both passenger & freight outwith actual the physical layout.

It works... very well :)

Archived