In a plain brown box

Barnaby

A friend has just presented me with his grandads trains items.   He's gone to play trains in the sky and my friend thought I might be able to do something with them as I model in 7mm..

I thought they were "00" 2-rail but turns out they are all metal and 3-rail.
Here's some quick pics, looks interesting as most still have their boxes too.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

post-1159-0-60444100-1377115550_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-43879200-1377115565_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-08166600-1377115583_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-52294800-1377115603_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-64912500-1377115619_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-79513000-1377115638_thumb.jpg

Yeah thanks Gordon .

Just looking a little deeper at the Lima it is limited edition 2-rail complete with all its certificates and looks like it's never been run.  Not really sure why it is with the rest of the stuff.

With regard to the Dublo, there's nothing really rare, though the turntables usually make a fair price especially with the box. The LNER coaches also are quite sought after in good condition. The full third in particular, rather than the composite, which it appears you have, as it has all teak ends, rather than the black 'gangway'. (I have only seen thirds with these ends, which isn't to say the others don't exist - they came in 3rd + brake/3rd articulated set (rare) and individual composites, thirds and brake thirds. They are based on 51' coaches, so not as ridiculously short as they seem.

The controller has been opened - presumably to replace the mains lead - and I would have it checked before plugging in. The bakelite cased transformer I wouldn't use at all.

Thanks for all that info David.

I live near Warwick & Warwick of Warwick who buy and auction off stuff like this I'll probably take it to them for a FREE review and then either take their cash offer or put it up for auction.

I'll keep the more modern 2-rail Thunderer back to sell separately.

Regards

The controller has been opened - presumably to replace the mains lead - and I would have it checked before plugging in. The bakelite cased transformer I wouldn't use at all.

:nono:  :nono:  :nono:  Somebody night have a shocking experience  :O  :O  :O  and nex stop :angel:  :angel:  :angel:  

• RMweb Gold

Very sound advice - my HD transformer of that type fried itself, and blew the main fuse in the house, back in the 1960s.  The one in that pic is now 50 years older than mine was when it self-destructed!

Very sound advice - my HD transformer of that type fried itself, and blew the main fuse in the house, back in the 1960s.  The one in that pic is now 50 years older than mine was when it self-destructed!

Both units appear to have had the original cotton covered rubber cables replaced with PVC (very wise - the rubber has a use by date of 25 years), but don't meet modern safety standards - no thermal fuses for a start. These are a pain - I've written off perfectly serviceable electronic equipment for these failing in the past* - but would have prevented this unpleasant and potentially serious incident.

*Exorbitant cost of a replacement transformer, without counting labour charges for fitting it.

• 11 months later...

Archived