Olivers Road RMD

Piemanlarger

I cant work the transfer thingy so decided to copy over the bits i wanted to remind myself what i was doing for this years layout.

Not really this years as i started it last November which seems a long time ago

Anyway, the thing that got me interested in modern railways was seeing the class 67 hauled Tpo + pcv formations pass the house in the "good old days," it was about the only loco hauled stock i saw on the Swansea - London line that sits at the bottom of my garden.

I was going to do another depot but in the last few years there seems to be more than enough of them about, sadly not all with sound!!!

A good friend constructed the new coffin for the new "MPD" in the summer. Its 2 x 10 foot and letter box design (roof) so the sound bounces about inside and I have to say it sounds much better than the open (no roof) plan of Rimenough.

Its loosly based on Bristol RMD but I will have two platforms that can each hold a 4 coach Pcv formation.

Simple one man operation, train in off fiddle, backs into platform via Pcv control. On platform one i hope to have a run round loop so the 67 runs round surprisingly enough, while on the other it will envolve some shunting. Should provide a bit of variety at shows in operation. If not, I plan on including on the layout a small stabling road area based roughly on Godfrey road (as was at Newport station) so other locos (37,60,66) can come in rest etc.

Photos and as it happens, as it happens.

plus lots of questions no dought and the complete change of plan over the festive period.

Note to self, no Xmas track laying when drunk!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OliversroadRMDTrackplancopy.jpg

Well, after several false starts and re-planning, This is the first result of track laying.

Its got more points that Iwanted, but I am going to have a play and see if some can be removed?

The reason there are more than i wanted is i think it gives more operation variety for exhibition?

Move 1

67 + 4 coach PCV train enters from Fiddle yard (black track bottom of scibble, err diagram) and takes points 1 then 2 into Platform 1. 67 runs round via loop 1 and re-joins pcv. Driver backs train into platform for unloading of pressies!

Thats really all i intended to happen here as not much else needs to.

Move 2

67 + 4 coach PCv enters from fiddle yard, crosses points 1, 2, 3 and takes left turn on point 5 into platform 2.

It then backs out of platform 2 and turns off point 3 to head into loco exchange siding via point 4.

In the loco exchange siding is another 67 waiting to take over.

PCV couples up to new 67 in exchange siding while the 67 that braught the train in uncouples, heads back down platform 2 (layout not big enough, should have made it 12 x 2 foot instad of 10 x 2 foot) and via point 7 enters loop 2.

New 67 now backs the pcv train into platform 2 and the train is unloaded / loaded.

67 in loop 2 can now either head to exchange siding or head to freight line 1,2 or more usually 3.

Move 3

67+ 3 coach NBA/NIA mail train enters from fiddle yard, crosses points 1, 2, 3, and enters platform 2. Loco runs round via loop 2 and re-joins the 3 coaches.

Move 4

Same move as no 3 above can happen on platform 1

Tpo sidings just have a single tpo coach there, not used during shows.

Any 67 can be replaced by a loco from the Frieght sidings. Lines 1, 2 and 3 are a small stabling point loosly based on Godfrey road at Newport. Light engine class 37, 60, 66 and the odd 67 will enter from the (rear of board) fiddle yard and simply either shut down until needed, or idle away until new driver books on. The idea is that rather than just 67 on the layout it allows a bit of vairety.

If i dont have loop 2 i cant run a 4 coach PCV train into platform 2, only the 3 coach mail train. Seems to me all day at a show just running round in platform 1 and exchange in platform 2 may not have enoguh operator variety?

Hence the over complicated track plan I have arrived at lol?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 4 2009

Just a couple of pics showing the start of platform building with two then one pcv trains ready to depart.

Hornbys factory will be converted into the sorting office.

Class 60 sits on Olivers road stabling yard track 1

Should pick up backdrops tday which will allow modelling to start and gather pace?

1xpcv.jpg

railend.jpg

2xpcv.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 17 2009

I worked out why things are progressing slowly.

1/ I am building the layout 3 foot from my pc, so i keep getting distracted!

2/ I dont know what I am doing!

3/ and probably the biggest problem, tangents.

I keep starting one thing, then have an idea / see something on the net or in the to do box and change course. As such, a little bit of this and that was being done and not much of anything.

So, i have drawn up a plan of how to proceed.

One tangent has been how do Lenz Ls150 + Dynamis work, having had them here for over a year and never opened them, the ls 150 that is. I think i sorted that problem. Poor layout building, caused by tangents and not concentrating!

I thus concluded that I needed to progress with the stabling point section of the layout. It only three points and 3 stabling roads so I put some effort into getting this area done, laying the track and feeds, putting in the lighting and security fence. Ballast is the last thing going to be done so its the grey primed ply boards for ground at the moment.

The photos will give some idea of how it looks. The layout is enclosed, something like a postal box hence the framework has been painted in as close a match for royal mail red I could get. The top section of this will be lettered up with the layout's title plus smaller "words" with contact details, layout details, links to variuos forums (here, rmweb, Demu etc).

The first pics should show the 5 foot "busy" section of the layout. The platforms are in though track has to be re-laid for these. The buildings are a Hornby Factory and a Bachmann office block. These will be "bashed" a bit to form the sorting office.

A couple of pics them sowing the stabling point.

The Slightly darker picture is about how the eyes see it with no lighting apart from the yard lamps.

So plan A:

1/Finsih track laying for platforms 1 and 2, install power feeds.

2/Install points + motors

3/Move onto other board to do trackwork on that!

4/Time for new plan!

OliversRoadstablingsectionfullpostb.jpg

OliversRoadstablingsectionfullboard.jpg

OliversRoadstablingsection005copy.jpg

OliversRoadstablingsectionbright.jpg

Jan 19th 2009

Finished laying the track yesterday and installing the power feed droppers. Whilst doing so, there was a slight revision in the track plan in that the "TPO" siding is now heading towards the platform. It now splits platform 1 & 2 tracks and the tpo line finishes about 3 inches from the end of the platform. Doing this has double benifits (?) One, more of the points are square on with the baseboard edge so it looks neater, i think?

Better still, I can now use the Tpo siding as loco exchange for platform 1 (or 2), thus bringing in another movement to help vary operations. Have also worked out i can double head Pcv train for another movement.

Right, point motor installation today!

OliversRoadrevisedtrackplancopy.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17 2009

there has been some more progress but i have beeen a bit busy to do the updates. Hopefully will update in a few days!

I do like that 'sunset' - or is it sunrise? - backscene - presumably it's hand painted?

I've never seen that many "in the dark" layouts using lighting like that for atmosphere, I look forward to seeing this one develop.

The 'letterbox red' layout framing is a stroke of genius!

Right, with the last of the little jobs being done on new Rimenough this week i shall dig out Olivers Road over the coming weeks and continue to work on it.

I think the march 2009 updates should have shown the right hand / more scenic board had more work done on it and was not far off finished?. When its up on the worrkbench will update the photos and news.

Hi,

There is so much atmosphere in those pictures!

Amazing!

Simon

Thanks Simon, i have to say it is an atmospheric layout. Its surprising i have left it so long to finish it!

I do like that 'sunset' - or is it sunrise? - backscene - presumably it's hand painted?

I've never seen that many "in the dark" layouts using lighting like that for atmosphere, I look forward to seeing this one develop.

The 'letterbox red' layout framing is a stroke of genius!

Glad you like the letterbox idea. The ends of the layout are to be painted to represent the end of a tpo carridge, buffers, corridor connections to lol!

Not sure myself if its sunrise or sunset, I think I will let people make their own minds up on that one? Sunset probably for me, as i dont like early mornings!

Hi ya

Just came across this layout and I love it, there is plenty of inspiration and the night scenes look great, gives it a bit of atmosphere.

Keep the photos coming they are superb...!

Regard Jamie

• 2 months later...

Jan 19th 2009

Finished laying the track yesterday and installing the power feed droppers. Whilst doing so, there was a slight revision in the track plan in that the "TPO" siding is now heading towards the platform. It now splits platform 1 & 2 tracks and the tpo line finishes about 3 inches from the end of the platform. Doing this has double benifits (?) One, more of the points are square on with the baseboard edge so it looks neater, i think?

Better still, I can now use the Tpo siding as loco exchange for platform 1 (or 2), thus bringing in another movement to help vary operations. Have also worked out i can double head Pcv train for another movement.

Right, point motor installation today!

OliversRoadrevisedtrackplancopy.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17 2009

there has been some more progress but i have beeen a bit busy to do the updates. Hopefully will update in a few days!

Wow, cant believe I have left it so long to carry on and finish this! However, Oliver's road has arisen and is now on the stands ready for finishing. There was some more work done last July before it was stored, I will add some photos later.

So far today I have come up with a change of operation, which means I have been standing there drinking tea just looking at the layout!

Anyway, "loop 2" of platform 2 is going to be taken out. This will allow a bigger yard behind the RMD where the stabling roads are. The stabling point is based on the old Godfrey road one that was just off Newport station and as such i thaught it did not look big enough as it is. I am hopping the extra space will allow more Ews staff cars to be parked plus a faded mk 1 or 2 coach as was seen at G.R for many years!

I was intending to run round on platform 2, but this change now means that a Pcv& 67 will back in pcv first, thus demonstrating why the Pcv was there!

Run rounds will take place on platform 1 where the Pcv+ 67 or class 47 + mail vans will run into. Its run round or loco exchange for variety.

Right, better get a move on as the layout has its maiden show on June 19th and I really need most of the work finished by this weekend as work is very busy between Easter and June!

Plan B

Not actually managed to do anything the last day or so apart from go to Holt Model railway to pick up 2 yards of concrete sleeper track so i can do the board joins and remove the loop, and i baught 2 Silver bullets while i was there, very nice too!

Anyway, this is wahat the layout looks like today, all the church grave yards / building etc was done last July!

Got lighting to go around the church area which should look nice when done then add the Train spooter and Grim reaper!

Most of the "scenic" Right side board is done really, got to sort out the bit of open land that is currently half grass half ballast!! Thing it will go all grass, overgrown with possibly an old bunjer half buried in there too?

So, cut new track and re-lay.

Wire up lights / signals

Re-lay yard lamps (they were pinched for New Rimenough!)

Platform and canopy, post office building.

Rolling Stock!

Photos of the work done last July?

Loco Exhange road (oily) and Church

thechurch.jpg

Same from low angle

locoexfromground.jpg

Graves by church

gravesbychurch.jpg

Folly

folly.jpg

Litch gate

litchgate.jpg

Church and folly

churchandfolly.jpg

Grave Yard!

graveyard.jpg

Out of the box 47 posing on loco exhange road.

47onlocoexhigh.jpg

67 on unfinished board

67low.jpg

67x2.jpg

As is the norm, did not get as much done today as planned.

I did mangae to rip up the loop and remove the loop and then re-lay the track with new droppers and copper clad the board ends.

Should re-ballast the Rmd Board tomorrow and add some more details around the join of the two boards to try and hide that as much as possible.

Had to move the signal for platform 2 forward about 3 inches when the new track was laid today.

coppercladready.jpg

The Rmd boad awaiting new track earlier today

pointremoved.jpg

Did some more wiring today on lamps, buffers stops. Peeed off as i blew a buffer stop lamp so need to order another one know from express models!

Still, signals to wire friday, think i will then add an old signal box to the land at the foot of the graveyar which was bothering me as it looked too empty? Was just going to add the signal box but board it up as disused. Then, looking at the layout tonight with the room lights off and just the layout lights (so far) i thaught it may well look good lit up?

So, signals Friday, ballast and scenery and ten the final bit, the Rmd!

Have also decided to ditch the hands free kadee plans as i just dont like kadee on uk locos. I like to see the pipes + screw couplings so uncloupling / coupling will be via screw couplings. Means I have to walk up and down a few feetbut it will probably help keep the pointers away. You know, the people at exhibition who must get as close to the layout and then shove a finge/hand/arm right into the layout!!!

• 2 months later...

The layouts first show crept up on e over the weekend. Sadly the buildings + platforms were not finished as they should be and have to be re-done.

On the plus side the layout recieved lots of nice comments and worked fine.

Opertio from an operators point was interesting enough and everything ran pretty well, apart from the Bachmann 66 +37 which were withdrawn! The Hornby class 60's and Lime /Hornby class 67 worked very well.

have to weigh down the Pcv a bit, do that when adding driver + Lights. All in all an enjoyable first time out.

Some pics from today below, now to carry on working on it!

Class 67 working hard

3x67.jpg

2xpcv-1.jpg

67.jpg

47 on mail, 67 on Pcv and class 60 awaits to depart stabling road due to tunnel problems

476760.jpg

47 shunts

47shunts.jpg

Simon the Photographer gets another Shot, but he better not hang around that graveyard to long!!

grimphoto.jpg

Very nice railtrack wagons on display

bachmanstand.jpg

Mail trains being something of a personal favourite, I'm loving this. The sky is very atmospheric. Are the PCV's Hurst conversions or the Replica model? This is exactly the type of place that I envision my Scotswood Bridge plank to be running off. That reminds me - must post an update on that. Are your 67 tail-lights from Express Models?

And finally - are you booked for any shows in the NE in the near future? :)

Perhaps repeating what's already been said, but I do think that backscene is good.

I thought sun set upon first seeing it. Well done...

Watching the thread with interest.

cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Mail trains being something of a personal favourite, I'm loving this. The sky is very atmospheric. Are the PCV's Hurst conversions or the Replica model? This is exactly the type of place that I envision my Scotswood Bridge plank to be running off. That reminds me - must post an update on that. Are your 67 tail-lights from Express Models?

And finally - are you booked for any shows in the NE in the near future? smile.gif

Yes, the Sky / backdrop is very good. It was suggested over the weekend by the chap who painted it that a low energy yellow /red light in the roof would add that warm evening sun light, just enough to light the graveyard a bit as it was darker in the show than i expected, the greaveyard that is. I will be trying that over the coming weeks to help get the atmosphere just right.

The pcv are all Replica rtr. Tail lights are express models, i also have tail /driving lights kits from express models for the Pcv. Just did not get round to fitting them, yet!

No, no shows in the NE but open to offers! Layout may well attend the barry & Penarth mrc open day in November but it does not have an invite until Thornbury Mrc in 2011 then. I think however when it is 100% finished I will do a Dvd and send to a few ex managers, see if there is interest?

Thanks

It makes a change to see that someone has had a go at a different time for the layout to depicted.

My complements to you sir.

Terry.

And Thank you Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Little has happened since the inagural show. In fact nothing, the layout has been sat in the same place on its ends since then due to work!

However, I have recieved and accepted an invation to the Pontypridd show 9th April 2011 at the Crown Hill Community centre Llantwitt Fardre CF38 2PE. Show is saturday only, 10 - 4 pm i believe.

So, lots of finishing work to start on!

Hi Simon, I will put that date in the diary, do you want me to bring that 66 with me for old times...lol Although i was never into EWS I have a fondness for the 66 of yours now..just need to find some work for it on my layout.

Regards

Leon.

Hi Leon,

Not sure if it would be allowed? I only run sound chipped locos haha! Feel free to pop along though, might need a driver or two!

Olivers doen not need alot of locos which is a blessing sometimes compared to Rimenough.

loving the skips pieman ;) good to see theres still hope for the old lima cyclops afterall B) The lighting kits on them look superb, been meaning to add one to my skip but i'm a bit scared incase i damage the light clusters drilling the holes :lol:

do you prefer the EWS maroon on the newer Hornby ones or the darker colour on the lima's? mind you they don't half clash when together :lol:

fair play they do look decent once detailed up B)

MM

loving the skips pieman wink.gif good to see theres still hope for the old lima cyclops afterall cool.gif The lighting kits on them look superb, been meaning to add one to my skip but i'm a bit scared incase i damage the light clusters drilling the holes laugh.gif

do you prefer the EWS maroon on the newer Hornby ones or the darker colour on the lima's? mind you they don't half clash when together laugh.gif

fair play they do look decent once detailed up cool.gif

MM

Thanks. I think i prefere the lima maroon really, not the correct shade perhaps but i use it as a weathered finish! I think the Hornby one needsd weathering down so it does not look so new.

Archived