Olivers Road RMD

Piemanlarger

• 11 months later...

Good grief, nearly a year has passed, again!

As this is the only layout i have currently, its time to look at it again.

did not make the Ponty show unfortunatley for persoanl reasons, so now have the Thornbury show in November to re-work the layout in time for.

Shall update shortly!

• 7 months later...

Hi

Brilliant layout the scenery is amazing are there any public shows comming up

David

Thankls David,

It was supposed to make its maiden full public debut at thornbury in November but the winter has not been good to me on Car issues!

As such, I hope it will now make its debut at this years Thornbury MRC show which is the end of November.

Nothing else booked until then. I usually cant do Summer shows so my layouts only go out over the winter mothns.

Another month or two and I will be carrying on adding the finishiing touches to the layout and its stock.

Thats likley to include the new model class 67?

Thanks

Simon

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well its only a few weeks really till what will be the layouts offical first outing, least fully finished.

as such, I need to finish things.

Truth be told the layout has been in store for about a year and i cant even remeber what needs doing!

I have just baught the new class 67 from Hornby so suspect that will need working on to make it suitable for show use.

some of the rolling stock needs weathing and i think i have some slight changes to operatiion.

Canopy has to be done, but really speaking there should not be much else?

will look at getting the layout up soon and making a list of jobs.

Its Nov 24 7 25 the Thornbury show so some time to sort things out before than

• 1 month later...

Well, what was offically the layouts first full Weekend of "Show" went reasonably well.

All started well on the saturday but we did have a couple of sticking points by the end of saturday. Not a constant problem but one of theose intermitent ones that left me scratching my head as to why point 1 would only throw 1 way, only on sunday for it to sorted itself out and work all day!

Generally the stock ran well, a few hands of good needed so perhaps a couple of back to backs on the coaching stock are out slightly? Nothing too problimatic though

However, surprised as I was for a first full weekends working things went much better than i hopped for!

Lots of nice comments about the layout and i thuink it may have even inspired a couple of potential modellers to have a go. One chap said he had been looking for inspiration and had found it!!

A few things became obvious that need changing., a few more lights needed here and there and maybe some track plan changing on a siding?

Biggest thing however will be to get the stock kadee fitted and install electro magnets perhaps so it become totlly han free operation?

All in all a good outing, so good infact my plans to sell the layout may be on hold??

• 2 years later...

I was going to post a photo of the layout in its current state, but cant post any photos!

Its bemusing to think its 3 years since I ran or even looked at the layout, time flys!

Had a little peak the other day and all looks well, infact, it looks better than I remember.

May try and find time to put it back on the rails this year and see how much is working, or not. Well you know how a layout managaes to stop working in some parts if left along for a long time lol!

It will be time to decide then if it is iether sold, kept and put back on the exhibition road or stripped for parts for my mew Tail chaser layout?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if I will get it up and running or just to put on Ebay?

Thing is the fiddle yard is 6 tt long so 16 in total and I don't have the space in the house, so effectively its an exhibition layout not being exhibited!

Seems a waste to see it sat there doing nothing?

• 5 weeks later...

Put this up for sale on sunday on bayE, then after a day or so of looking at it realised it was much better than I remembered so have decided to keep it for now!

Will try and get it out on exhibition road at some point but otherwise will enjoy it at home.

Decided to flog off the Replica Pcv and stick to GUV mail vans as such, May make some alterations to the track plan for simpler exhibition operation at the front of the layout?

I have also decided that going back to traditional Point control via CDU is faster than trying to operate points and signals as well as locos all by dynamis!.

so a few hours re-wiring needed over coming weeks? Years lol

post-359-0-07163200-1433512140.jpg

post-359-0-60159100-1433512156.jpg

post-359-0-53965400-1433512164.jpg

post-359-0-62320600-1433512170.jpg

Plan B

Not actually managed to do anything the last day or so apart from go to Holt Model railway to pick up 2 yards of concrete sleeper track so i can do the board joins and remove the loop, and i baught 2 Silver bullets while i was there, very nice too!

Anyway, this is wahat the layout looks like today, all the church grave yards / building etc was done last July!

Got lighting to go around the church area which should look nice when done then add the Train spooter and Grim reaper!

Most of the "scenic" Right side board is done really, got to sort out the bit of open land that is currently half grass half ballast!! Thing it will go all grass, overgrown with possibly an old bunjer half buried in there too?

So, cut new track and re-lay.

Wire up lights / signals

Re-lay yard lamps (they were pinched for New Rimenough!)

Platform and canopy, post office building.

Rolling Stock!

Photos of the work done last July?

Loco Exhange road (oily) and Church

thechurch.jpg

Same from low angle

locoexfromground.jpg

Graves by church

gravesbychurch.jpg

Folly

folly.jpg

Litch gate

litchgate.jpg

Church and folly

churchandfolly.jpg

Grave Yard!

graveyard.jpg

Out of the box 47 posing on loco exhange road.

47onlocoexhigh.jpg

67 on unfinished board

67low.jpg

67x2.jpg

.....it's like something from a Hammer film.

- that reminds me  - we've not been to Whitby for a while.

• 7 months later...

With the closing of Skewen Mpd, locos that will be staying in the fleet are now going to be stored on Oliver rd.

Another storage lane will be added and the line behind the platform will be lifted to expand the parking for drivers!

Station will re open to passengers as well as mail.

post-359-0-19167800-1453156819.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived