7mm Layout from off-the-shelf components

hartleymartin

I've seen plenty of 4mm scale layouts built using either standard R-T-R or simple kits. Has anyone thought of promoting 7mm scale by similar methods?

I would think that a layout using the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and the Fowler diesel (when it comes out) as well as say the Dapol Terrier and the Tower Models beginner's Barclay and 02 kits, as well as the Dapol and Skytrex wagons, Peco track and any other easy building kits out there would be a great promotion for the hobby in 7mm scale.

Like I said... just a thought.

The series of articles titled "Clayhanger Yard" that has been running in Hornby Magazine is quite a good attempt at creating a 7mm scale layout from RTR or near-RTR items. By the way, don't forget the RTR from Lionheart Models, which are first class. They may appear to be expensive at first, but the old adage applies, especially with the wagons, that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten. 

Regards,

I would have thought that using Lionheart models for the rolling stock, it would be possible to create a GWR/BR(W) layout pretty much off the shelf, though a certain amount of modest kit-building might be needed for structures. I don't think it would be exactly cheap, but then again, one person's 'expensive' is another's 'readily affordable'. The goods stock could readily be expanded with Parkside Dundas kits which are reasonably priced and relatively straightforward to build.

It would be an interesting project - perhaps not especially novel in concept, but interesting for the builder whose tastes ran in that direction. An obvious prototype would be something like New Radnor, which only needs three or four points and no signals. If I had a parallel life I might be tempted myself, but lack of a second room and a second budget rules it out.

Thinking on budget, a less ambitious project would involve 4 or 5 points, the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, the Slaters GWR Brake 3rd 4wheel coach, miscellaneous goods vehicles a few simple kit buildings, and perhaps we would have a light railway in the style of the Easingwold Railway. I recall a layout called "Asenby St Peter" in Railway Modeller a few years back which was built along these lines, although not with much RTR equipment from memory.

The rolling stock on my layout Osney is almost all Lionheart, locos, autocoach and some of the mineral wagons, so it is possible to create off the shelf for those of us who don't have the wish, or the skills to construct from kits or from scratch.

Rob

The rolling stock on my layout Osney is almost all Lionheart, locos, autocoach and some of the mineral wagons, so it is possible to create off the shelf for those of us who don't have the wish, or the skills to construct from kits or from scratch.

Rob

Any chance of a peek?

i have put together a layout using peco track, Heljan and bachman locos, Heljan mk1 coaches and various wagons - lion heart, bachman mainly.  its 30 ft long  by 34inches wide and controlled by ECoS system and various other bits of electronics.  my philosophy has been to get something running with decent scenery and then build the odd kit to supplement what i have.  i have completed a westdale bg and now doing jlrt one.  then will try to build an easybuild 121.

Kspoons

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Martin that the Easingwold Railway could provide an interesting basis for a light railway layout- Ken Hartley's little book, and the Ixion Hudswell, provide a starting point. There is a plasticard coach kit available from AnD products, but a Slaters or Connoisseur NER brass kit would be quicker.

I think the main obstacle to the beginner is points rather than stock. The PECO turnouts are just too long and wide-radius for a compact layout such as this, but building your own is a psychological barrier, though Jim Read and others have shown it is not too hard. I've found that once you get started in 7mm scale, finding rolling stock is quite easy, through GOG and other events, with serviceable wagons from £15 that can be weathered for further use. Locos are not really a problem (i have gathered 6 in 3 years) although when we might see the Dapol Terrier is another matter.

On 'Coney Hill' (thanks for the mentions) I plan to have a early-1960's era, centred around the Heljan AC Cars railbus when it appears next year, with some green diesels and BR steam of the period. This will ring the changes with the current 1930-s era and provide continuing interest.

Dava

I've got Ken Hartley's book (no, he's no relation of mine) and I had seriously thought of modelling Easingwold itself until I realised that the original station would be far too huge for my space. However, a simplified and compressed version would work.

I don't know UK naming conversions, but I believe that A4/A5 and B4/B5 are the smallest points used on prototype railways (we had a completely different convention here in NSW, based on the V-crossing angle and blade length) and that there are good kits available for them.

There are some that believe that it's not "modelling" - particularly in O gauge - if you don't actually make everything yourself, and that can be extended as far as avoiding kits.

I'm not one of them.

Things like the Dapol 08 and Terrier, and Ixion's little Industrials, are going to severely change the balance of O gauge over the next few years by making it more accessible to "the average modeller", and enable people to dabble on a reasonable budget thus increasing the potential market of the many kit builders and  "bits people" that are out there.

The Fowler looks bigger than I thought it was; very nice little line up!

Yes, it suprised

me too at first, but the Hudswell Clarke is a small locomotive and most people think of the smaller 40-45hp Fowler with its smaller bonnet. I must get around to weathering the black Hudswell. Something more subtle than the green version that suggests a kempt locomotive used in cleaner surroundings.

Guest Isambarduk

"The Fowler looks bigger than I thought it was"

Yes, as Chris says, you think it's small but I have my Fowler (LMS No.2) next to my Hudswell Clarke on a shelf and they are as near the same length as makes no difference.  It didn't take me long when I started to build my Fowler to realise that a short wheelbase 0-4-0 it might be but there is a lot of locos sticking out at the front and the back, especially the front.  It's a great little loco with lots of character - and so it should be with all the effort that I put into it! 

David

Archived