Removing chemical blackening

I was looking at the fluxes available on C&L Finescale's website. Can anyone recomend which will do the job on Hornby motion.

Also has anyone done this before or rather have you got photos of the result after removing the blacking.

I know Hornby's motion used to be a nice shiny silver colour but now its blackened I wonder what the colour of the base metal is I am hoping its not brass coloured. 

Cheers Rob

Hi that might be possible as the railroad and original margate are largely the same components but there is a few differences. In the way it connects which might make me need to learn how to make rivets. 

plus the pins need pushing off the rods possibly. From the outside drivers. 

Oh sorry this is actually to go with my research into how I can make the Hornby superdetail A4 mallard look right regarding the wheels not that I don't like the look of Hornby's but whilst they look right for BR engines I want to create mallard how she was in the 80s with speed plaques brighter red wheels with thick steel rims and shiny valve gear. With silver handrails and buffers in a perversely glossy finish.

It just looks so nice and I want to replicate that. Cheers Rob

Its just a case of I love the way mallard looks so much that Its a life long childhood ambition to create mallard as close to what she is as possible. The Hornby model is the only one I've seen that nails the A4 look perfectly. The wheels are nice and do look right for BR locos Coranation garter blue locos which most had red down to the edge of the wheel rims. Indeed some standard garter blues did and for all of them in service with a bit of oil and tarnish they look the part I must say.

But most A4s in LNER condition like other locos like the V2's etc had thick polished steel wheels and I think it looks gorgeous. It really sets off the look of the blue and red perfectly. 

Just something about it looks amazing. 

I have re-wheeled the tender successfully and with paint with look the part. its just figuring out the wheels and motion that's going to give me a headache but I am determined to succeed.

Cheers for the help Rob ;) 

Archived