1960s eastern Scotland Freight/Goods Trains

scottystitch

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently researching and planning a build of an alternative Perth Station set in early to mid '60s.

I'm trying to draw up a stock list of goods rolling stock. Can anyone advise if and where a might find a resource that would give an indication of the freight trains that would have gone through or to Perth in this timescale?

I'm guessing spotters notes or an official freight timetable would be my best bet?

Many thanks in anticipation

Scotty

Yes, a Working Timetable (WTT) for freight services is what you need. You can find them for sale in internet bookshops or trade stands at railway events, and/or there are lots on Ebay. It is just a question of being patient and waiting for the area and year that you need, to turn up.

Photographs may give you a guide to the train make-up although you may only see the first few wagons. There is also video/dvd series called Railways Of Scotland, from Cinerail. There are numerous volumes in the series covering various areas of the country, but I think two or three include Perth. I cannot vouch for the coverage of freight services because I do not have the relevant volumes, but from the ones I have bought they are fascinating enough just to sit and watch on a miserable day.

In the mid 60s the 4 character headcode will be given at the top of each column, and there may be a clue to what the train carried in where it originated, which will also be given at the top of the column. Some company trains will be annotated COY, and that can give a further clue. Fish trains will usually be noted as such.

In the early 60s only the class of train is given - E, F, G, H etc and that is a little less informative, but then steam locos and early diesels with discs did not display 4 character headcodes, and some educated guesswork has to be made.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Pobrien!

That looks to be the old Dewars building in the background so that train is coming from the north either off the Inverness or Aberdeen route. Either that or it's come from the new marshalling yard if it was in operation by the timevthebpic was taken.......

Nice to see evidence of WDs in Perth. Another purchase Incan make :-)

Archived