Re-Wheeling Hornby Tender drive Saint ETC

Hi all I am learning and now really getting into kit building and re-wheeling RTR stock.

I have an old Hornby saint and other tender drive locos That whilst a far cry from being the best I do love them and want to give them a face lift.

This started when I thought this morning about re-wheeling my Hornby saint with alan gibson wheels provided the axles are the right size.

I then thought about the tender. I have never built one before but is there anyway I could build a tender drive unit from a tender frame/tender chassis fitted with an axle mounted gear box  and chain drive or other to the other tender wheels and then fit the Hornby tender body on top.

I imagine this would really improve the look of the Hornby saint though I am aware its not the best in many areas I do like her.

Any tips welcome or guides on constructing a tender drive unit very much appreciated.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

Why not use Castle wheels and drive systems for Your Saint? Presumably there would be a later tender drive Castle that would be able to donate its running gear? The Castle driving wheels have a slightly different spoke pattern but are the same size.

I hope this promotes a bit of discussion for you!

All the best,

Castle

Horsetan Is that meant in a humorous way or a snide way. I hope its the former and not the latter.

I am grateful for your advice on the A4 I am sorry I am not as knowledgeable on the kit building side of things but I am simply keen to learn and I am doing so through the help of you and others. 

When I am on britmodeller I am always keen to help others with aircraft kit building and advice and help is exchanged between people no matter their ability or how dumb the question may seem.

It has always been a bug bear of mine that the model railway community is not always as friendly. Nobody was born all knowing. 

I hope this site proves me wrong on my previous experiences. 

Cheers Rob

Lol that's good. With the face palm comment to I wasn't sure if you were joking or If I had irritated you. I can talk to much I appreciate that. But it's all ment in good nature.

I worry too much about others feelings.

I take it you have a sarcastic ment of humour me too. Black adder rules for that.

Cheers rob

Archived