Viesmann working tamper

blueeighties

I watched one of these amazing things at Railex North East. I have been asked if the sound decoder could be removed and fitted in a UK outline tamper, due to the complete unavailability of any available sound chips from the usual names.

Anyone tried this?

Had thought about it. Instead asked Bryan at Howes. It depends whether you want it to tamp? If not then I guess it could be easily done, MPV chip has potential as has engine/ and sirens/horns etc etc, the engine note not far off and could be tweaked to tune the sounds? He is on the case. Alternatively we could find someone who works for SB Rail or Colas etc etc and organise a recording? We have two Britannia Pacific tampers waiting.......

• RMweb Gold

Next time i have to conduct a tamper i'll take my recorder with me to get some tamping sounds to send to bryan, we did discuss it a while back but i havent been near one for a while (and only once when tamping)

i will have a word with the plant side of work anyway as i may be able to record some engine start ups etc next time im in rugby

Archived