1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

I finally, got a modelling Monday night mode going, with Lofty.

Short, but fitted various item's to the 71, then fitted it's sound decoder.

34289268844_f76882591f_k.jpgP1144633 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

34289168744_b2f6db2d17_k.jpgP1144637 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

35003016121_3000ff316c_k.jpgP1144640 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

34289063844_f0c845b54a_k.jpgP1144641 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

34323650173_008e1a8c53_k.jpgP1144645 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

34323587893_fd9d2e8c74_k.jpgP1144649 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 12

Agree...

So; Is this a pic of Freeb's model after a Jobsworth's reading of the lekky meter in the corner?

---or of yer actual Reality?

dh

There today on Google - which is dated Aug 2016.

34461885134_3ff8d601d2_c.jpgFinial 3 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

At the time of the Folkstone show 18 months ago - still there.

35265243686_324f2772da_c.jpgFinial 1 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Same date, different view - still there

34917928030_682abbc81c_c.jpgFinial 2 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Finial conclusion - probably Meter Reader -  :O :o

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

DJMs 71 blue arrived 8 days ago, switched the layout over to Dc from Dcc, 

This is the Hattons version.

DJMs 71 Green, arrived last Thursday,yet to be taken out of the box, may get a run tonight.

Please note, for nearly a year,interest in model railways has waned it may,come back.

36219054606_f5de4b6d27_k.jpgP1266035 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

36260972115_31e7901e2a_k.jpgP1266043 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 13

It's very sad to see two members con grading that their interest has waned. Is it because large projects can become depressing in that they always seem a long way from completion. (I know that a model railway is never finished).

Many years ago I started to build a large model railway based on the line from Plymouth to Okehampton. I never finished it and other things intervened . Since then I have tended to build smaller layouts which I am forever modifying but it keeps my interest fresh plus I just like 'playing trains'.

David keep going . Your model is brilliant . I travel the Dover Folkestone line regularly and tomorrow as I change trains at Dover Priory I shall look at your photos and marvel at how well you have reproduced that section of line.

Hi dt,

That is an impressive looking model, even in the Flickr full photgraph size, nice and crisp moulding.  Those flags and handrails look great, did they come ready applied, or is that more of your handywork?

Regards

J

Hi dt,

That is an impressive looking model, even in the Flickr full photgraph size, nice and crisp moulding.  Those flags and handrails look great, did they come ready applied, or is that more of your handywork?

Regards

J

http://www.hattons.co.uk/206915/DJ_Models_Dave_Jones_OO71_004HAT_Class_71_E5013_in_BR_Blue_with_full_Golden_Arrow_headboards_arrows_and_flags_pre/StockDetail.aspx

Thank God Rome wasn't built in a day. All the best projects come and go,

IMHO that length of cliff is one of the best bits of dramatic modelling on this site. Nevertheless we'd like you to get out more and continue living -  maybe come back to it all in those dark days of November thru Feb.

We are all missing recent additions to your photo diary of walks around the cliff tops.

dh

PS

Looked out for you at Railex NE this week-end (in truth a more modest show than 18 months ago)

Thank God Rome wasn't built in a day. All the best projects come and go,

IMHO that length of cliff is one of the best bits of dramatic modelling on this site. Nevertheless we'd like you to get out more and continue living -  maybe come back to it all in those dark days of November thru Feb.

We are all missing recent additions to your photo diary of walks around the cliff tops.

dh

PS

Looked out for you at Railex NE this week-end (in truth a more modest show than 18 months ago)

post-13585-0-17980800-1501484851_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-29793100-1501484895_thumb.png

Dover Sharks are quite common in this area of Kent.

post-13585-0-73164000-1501485021_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Family car touring/camping holiday sur le continent in 1966, when I was 14, had us guest house overnighting in Dover for an early ferry, and a very young Johnster spent a pleasant enough summer evening on Dover Priory train watching.  A fascinating place with a lot of passing action in a small area confined by the geography, which I suppose sums Dover up in general, but it was a fun evening with plenty to see.  Thank you for reviving some nice memories.

The railway highlights of the month long holiday included a 231P in perfect external condition at Calais, a Crocodile at Martigny in the Rhone Valley pacing the car with a long old freight for the Simplon Tunnel (even mother was quite excited by this), and the Orient Express, all white roofs, at Trieste.  Follow that up with endless freights passing the camp site at Innsbruck, and with an afternoon on the Kriegslok station pilot at Bonn while the 'rents 'did' Bach's house and the driver had spotted my interest, and the following evening on the end of the platform at Cologne watching the electrics whizzing in and out (German drivers are all psychos), and it was a pretty good trip railway wise!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

Hard to believe those pictures were taken not so long ago and sad how much has gone now.

At least two people who post on RMWeb worked at the offices behind the telephone box in the photo of the electric at Dover Western Docks.

The station retains a solitary track, kept in the event of plans to run the Orient Express from there came to fruition. I watched the contractors lay several layers of heavy-duty plastic sheet over it, and then backfilled with hardcore to platform level. The plans came to nothing when Sea Containers (owners of Orient Express) found how much it would cost to re-instate a main-line connection.

Folkestone Harbour is indeed being done up, as part of the De Haan plan to gentrify the area. No chance of reinstating the railway, I fear, so perhaps Shepway Council ought to bite the bullet and use the formation to widen Tram Road. They've returned that to two-way traffic, without restricting parking that limits sightlines for and of traffic leaving the side roads.