The Wellingborough to Higham Ferrers Branch

Andy618

Good evening all!

I have just returned to the hobby after a 15 year gap (work got in the way) and i've just started my first project; a small branch terminus in Northamptonshire. The layout is based on a fictitious station that works on the idea that the branch line from Wellingborough did not terminate at Higham Ferrers- as in reality- but continued on to Oulton Hadley (as a historical note, the line was originally intended to extend past Higham to Raunds, but never did).

I have done some research into the line but my question relates to the type of traffic worked on the branch. In reality, the line was just over five miles long and only had one intermediate staion (two in my little world) and was single track all the way. I understand push-pull sets worked back and forwards from Wellingborough to Higham Ferrers but would any traffic extend beyond Wellingborough, for example to Kettering or Market Harborough, or was the idea that traffic on these small branches would work as far as the first junction and passengers changed there for their onward journey?

I ask because, due to space limitatiions (the entire layout being restricted to 4' x 2') Oulton Hadley has a very short run around loop - the maximum an engine can run around is two Mk.1's or two Staniers and a van. Would you expect anything longer on a short branch such as this?

I have included a route map; any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Andy

Sunny Lincolnshire

post-20170-0-03286500-1378162021_thumb.jpg

I believe a couple of the books (if you've not already found them, search for "Richard Coleman" and Northampton/shire, and Goslin's "Bedford to Wellingborough", also "Last days of steam in Northamptonshire" and there's a history "Five Minutes Late") refer to a Saturdays-only passenger service to Leicester in the 1950s. On one occasion this used an ex-LMS Jubilee; I think the other pictures I've seen of the service either had an ex-LMS Compound or 4f and 4-ish coaches.

If you want to stretch a point around 1956 an ex-LYR 2-4-2t was used on the push-pull service, but was the Belpaire version rather than that modelled by Bachmann (which Bedford shed got but barely used, allegedly), and Class 27s turned up before closure. If space is an issue maybe a DMU could represent the Leicester service instead?

I don't have the freight WTT to hand but thought the service was to Wellingborough, *but* Five Minutes Late have a number of oddities on the workings (including ex-LNER O4/3, B1 and a J6, presumably just passing through and pressed into service from Wellingborough shed rather than a special service) and 8F at Higham Ferrers itself, so together with 3F and 4F 0-6-0s and medium to large ex-LMS/BR tanks there's potential for variety - and larger locomotives at the quieter end of your branch if you want?

I recollect a photo in Railway Magazine when the branch closed, showing iron-ore tipplers being loaded from a bank at Higham Ferrers. The bank was high enough for the lorries to tip directly into the wagons. Motive power was a Class 27- this must have been about their final fling in the Midlands before heading north.

I wonder if the Black 5- hauled train that Robert's posted was a Rushden Diamonds football special?

I doubt the Black 5 train would have been a football special, certainly not for Rushden & Diamonds, which didn't come into being until the 1990s. Maybe more probably a seaside special or possibly the Saturday Leicester train. Factory fortnight specials were fairly common in the area in the 50's and into the 60s. IIRC, there were specials on a regular basis after daily trains ceased.

I doubt the Black 5 train would have been a football special, certainly not for Rushden & Diamonds, which didn't come into being until the 1990s. Maybe more probably a seaside special or possibly the Saturday Leicester train. Factory fortnight specials were fairly common in the area in the 50's and into the 60s. IIRC, there were specials on a regular basis after daily trains ceased.

I hadn't realised Rushden and Diamonds were that recent.  There was a public school at Raunds, so could this have been a school special?

I seem to recall several photos at Wellingborough of the daily(?) parcels train that went up the branch. However it was always a short one, usually one bogie carriage and a van. Usually 4F hauled although I recall a BV.  I also vaguely  recall a 'mail order' warehouse at Rushden so this may be the need for this service.

Tony

- *but* Five Minutes Late have a number of oddities on the workings (including ex-LNER O4/3, B1 and a J6, presumably just passing through and pressed into service from Wellingborough shed rather than a special service) and 8F at Higham Ferrers itself, so together with 3F and 4F 0-6-0s and medium to large ex-LMS/BR tanks there's potential for variety - and larger locomotives at the quieter end of your branch if you want?

Even an O1 was pressed into service, by Wellingboro', on a short freight on the branch, but cant remember which copy of the 'Railway Magazine' it was reported in. 

Bloody hell gents! Thanks for all the info; I wasn't expecting so much so quickly :)

I love these sort of forums. You post what you think is the most obscure question ever but there is always someone out there with something to offer.

So a Black Five with a three coach special or a 4F with a parcels might not appear so radical after all. With the short run-around loop I have I suspect anything over two coaches long would need a pilot to remove the stock from the platform to release the loco (to the shed, possibly) and place it on the other side of the island platform.

Stangely I'm finding the building of the history and timetable just as interesting as the building of the layout.

Just need to wait for the Farish 4F now...

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Living with ears shot of this former line I can only add to what others have said.

Being Northamptonshire and renowned for it's shoe industry this commodity played an important part on the line too.  The '5 Minutes Late' book does have some nice shots of the branch including an 8F standing at Higham goods shed with a train of box vans.

Ken Fairey was a prolific photographer of Northamptonshire railways from the late 40's-60's and beyond and some of his collection is on Flickr.  Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/sets/72157630560555614/

There's a lot to look through but it will give you an idea of locos and trains that used the line.  There's some nice shots of Fowler 3F's coming off the branch as well as a B1 and a J6 mentioned above.

Other than that the Coleman and Rajczonek books offer some great photos and captions.

Cheers,

Mark

Living with ears shot of this former line I can only add to what others have said.

Being Northamptonshire and renowned for it's shoe industry this commodity played an important part on the line too.  The '5 Minutes Late' book does have some nice shots of the branch including an 8F standing at Higham goods shed with a train of box vans.

Ken Fairey was a prolific photographer of Northamptonshire railways from the late 40's-60's and beyond and some of his collection is on Flickr.  Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/sets/72157630560555614/

There's a lot to look through but it will give you an idea of locos and trains that used the line.  There's some nice shots of Fowler 3F's coming off the branch as well as a B1 and a J6 mentioned above.

Other than that the Coleman and Rajczonek books offer some great photos and captions.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, Mark 46444

I'll have to have a look for "5 minutes late"; lots of people are recommending it. And you are right about Kens Flikr having a lot of content. I've never seen such a collection of buses before! :)

Mark D, 

That's my Saturday sorted! The word 'bar' sold it for me.

"British Railway Journal", Summer 1987 issue, had a 10-page article on Higham Ferrers including maps of Rushden and Higham Ferrers stations and a number of photos, including one of an experimental three-car diesel unit which was used on the branch in 1954.

Also, you have a PM.

Jim

"British Railway Journal", Summer 1987 issue, had a 10-page article on Higham Ferrers including maps of Rushden and Higham Ferrers stations and a number of photos, including one of an experimental three-car diesel unit which was used on the branch in 1954.

Also, you have a PM.

Jim

Does this British Railway Journal article have any detailed pictures of motor coaches, particularly the driving cab end?

Graham

It does, although I can tell you literally nothing about the coach itself. The photo is captioned something like "Higham Ferrers station in the final years of passenger service" and is a view down the platform with a push-pull driving trailer prominent in the foreground.

Jim

Archived