Lima Class 156 - yay or nay?

I had 5 Lima 156s at one point. Had a change of lifestyle and gave up modelling for a couple of years so sold all my stock. Now back into modelling and now wishing I could find some decent priced second hand 156s, I always liked them.

There are a couple on eBay which have low bids and end soon.

There are some drawings showing the location of under frame equipment on both the class 155 and 156 in the book BR Equipment 2 drawings from Railnews Stockspot by David Gibbons. It also includes some good drawings for locating under frame equipment for several 2nd generation EMUs

• RMweb Gold

There are some drawings showing the location of under frame equipment on both the class 155 and 156 in the book BR Equipment 2 drawings from Railnews Stockspot by David Gibbons. It also includes some good drawings for locating under frame equipment for several 2nd generation EMUs

Hi Tamperman,

Yes - I am aware of these drawings and used them on my first carve up conversion.

I wish I knew what happened to the book!

I know I took it out to exhibitions a lot of the time so that people could see what I qwas basing the conversion on, but I'm damned if I can find it now that I am back to doing the CL156 again!

Thanks

Hi

Weren't the 153's converted from 155's ? I've replaced the crummy chassis/power bogie under a Dapol 155 with a Hornby 153 chassis - tiny bit of carving was all that was necessary.. KevPeo (Loch Dour) on here rebuilt a Lima 156 onto a modded Bachy 158 underframe some time ago from memory

Best

Matthew

Matthew,

yes that's right. All the 155's except those "sponsored" by WYPTE were turned from 2 car units with 1 cab each to single cars with 2 cabs each.

Any differences you've found in underframe is due to the changes in manufacturing over the years. There was some detail difference under the new cab, but I don't believe that this was changed on the model.

Hi Derek

No big chops needed on the chassis - mainly modifying end clips from memory.. Also drilled out the lights on the Dapol cab after finding out the Hornby lighting lined up on them pretty well... Painted the Hornby lights at the other end of the 153 chassis with acrylic flat black - if I'd thought more about it, I would have extended the wiring thru the unpowered car of the 155 and installed them at the cab end of it - might still do that ... One day !

6 Lima 156's in my collection, all still running sweetly on their original bogies !

Best

Matthew

Hi

Didn't take any pix of it - will do so in next couple of days and post here... Unpowered I'm afraid - layout under construction and not powered - want to get on with scenery and am (way) too easily tempted to do more errr... "Train testing" if its powered !

Best

Matthew

Archived