Lancashire and Yorkshire 2-4-2 T addition of extra rivets

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I am preparing artwork for some L & Y 2-4-2 tanks. In some later dated photos I notice that the bunkers appear with lines of rivets on the bunker sides and ends, following the line of the water tank. Also I've noticed rivets around the front and rear edges of the smokbox wrapper.

One or two photos I've seen seem to show lines of rivets vertically along the rear corners of the bunker sides and ends. Can anyone confirm this is so, and can anyone shed any light on the extent to which the use of rivets was employed, and when it started? I have the Barry Lane book, but it doesn't discuss this aspect of these locos.

Any help, especially photos, gratefully accepted.

Nig H

These extra rivets appeared following repairs to the effected areas so might or might not be applied to any particular engine, nor was there a date as such for fitting them. Your only guide here is to find dated photos of the particular engine to see when they were applied, assuming you can find enough of them.

• RMweb Premium

These extra rivets appeared following repairs to the effected areas so might or might not be applied to any particular engine, nor was there a date as such for fitting them. Your only guide here is to find dated photos of the particular engine to see when they were applied, assuming you can find enough of them.

Thanks LMS2968 for replying. I had a closer look, using a magnifier, at some pics and I now see where the rivets go at the corners of the bunker.

Nig H

Archived